onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 14th, 2018 at 8:16:32 PM permalink
These websites are coming out of everywhere, that claim your system is heavily damaged. Used to be only at adult websites they would appear, but now more and more sites. Marthastewart, videopoker, of all places, they're showing up from. They're irritating, you lose your navigation, cannot go back, have to go into the address bar to escape it. Anyone notice these?
I am a robot.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
February 14th, 2018 at 8:29:02 PM permalink
I haven't seen these, but on vp.com I get an occasional screen come up telling me there is a new Firefox download. Never comes up on any other website, nor does going to the actual firefox website reveal that there is an update to install.

Needless to say, I close out my browser without clicking the download.. and it doesn't let you go back to vp.com.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 14th, 2018 at 8:33:44 PM permalink
See that about every 3rd clickbait on FB, but never on vp.com.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
February 14th, 2018 at 8:42:10 PM permalink
If you are seeing them in excessive or unusual places it could be a nasty on your machine, although I haven’t seen them in the wild for quite some time, not since MS upped their security game with Windows 8/10.

Haven’t had to use any of these on customers PC’s in a long time, but I think Malware Bytes is still one of the better tools to scan and remove that garbage.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
February 14th, 2018 at 8:55:48 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

If you are seeing them in excessive or unusual places it could be a nasty on your machine, although I haven’t seen them in the wild for quite some time, not since MS upped their security game with Windows 8/10.

Haven’t had to use any of these on customers PC’s in a long time, but I think Malware Bytes is still one of the better tools to scan and remove that garbage.

I wondered about that being a possibility. I only use my phone anymore, not really sure what it has to protect against such things. Yesterday, was looking at a recipe I was using, then it was gone, on one of these bogus sites. I had thought possibly it was just a new kind of advertising the sites were engaging in, assuming these sites pay more than others. Maybe I should check to see if pop-ups are blocked, might solve the problem.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
February 14th, 2018 at 8:57:15 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I haven't seen these, but on vp.com I get an occasional screen come up telling me there is a new Firefox download. Never comes up on any other website, nor does going to the actual firefox website reveal that there is an update to install.

Needless to say, I close out my browser without clicking the download.. and it doesn't let you go back to vp.com.

Yes that's irritating. They must open a new tab while simultaneously closing the other.
I am a robot.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
February 14th, 2018 at 9:23:11 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I wondered about that being a possibility. I only use my phone anymore, not really sure what it has to protect against such things. Yesterday, was looking at a recipe I was using, then it was gone, on one of these bogus sites. I had thought possibly it was just a new kind of advertising the sites were engaging in, assuming these sites pay more than others. Maybe I should check to see if pop-ups are blocked, might solve the problem.

Oh, hm...that is weird. If you have an Android malware could still be a possibility, very unlikely on iOS though.

Similar things have happened occasionally on my phone, but I think it was always something happening on the website’s end.

Sometimes these spammers figure out how to get ad networks to serve nasty code that does this crap, and the website owner has no idea until it’s discovered by the networking and removed.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
February 15th, 2018 at 2:18:17 AM permalink
I have something very similar happen to me. I sometimes get a pop-up out of nowhere claiming that I won a chance to win a $1,000 Walmart gift card or an XBox or something really fun like that. It's annoying and every time I press the back button I get another pop up asking something like,"Are you really sure you want to leave this page? Press cancel if you want to leave or press continue to stay on this page. I press cancel and I continue to see the blasted "Chance to win Walmart gift card," Pop-up. I willingly pressed "Cancel," for a reason. Note to senders. "Do not want, leave unwilling recipient alone." I always have to manually close the window to get away from the blasted "Win a chance to win fun item."

I am soured on this "Win a chance," pop up since I went against my better judgment last year or 2016 and innocently answered a question,"Does anyone in your household have joint pain?" I answered yes because 2 of my family members have Arthritis and they claimed I was seconds away from winning the gift card.

I never got the gift card. I got constantly harrassed by phone and email instead with joint pain medicine offers. I texted that I wanted the joint pain medicine offers to stop. I then politely told them by voice call after they called that I already said I didn't want anymore medicine offers, that I said yes in anticipation of the gift card I never got and politely told them to stop calling and texting me. Note to WOV posters. Learn from my innocent mistake of answering yes to a question about my household.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
February 15th, 2018 at 7:55:24 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

See that about every 3rd clickbait on FB, but never on vp.com.

I posted about vp.com a year or more ago... It was my understanding Bob Dancer had some skin in that game or was promoting them or something (can't recall) and in a thread with him I posted a screenshot of the spam pop up saying "Your system is infected click here to fix" saying that I thought this type of pop up was very uncool of the site. I wanna say he said he'd never seen it but would forward a question about it along the chain.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
February 15th, 2018 at 8:06:36 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I have something very similar happen to me. I sometimes get a pop-up out of nowhere claiming that I won a chance to win a $1,000 Walmart gift card or an XBox or something really fun like that. It's annoying and every time I press the back button I get another pop up asking something like,"Are you really sure you want to leave this page? Press cancel if you want to leave or press continue to stay on this page. I press cancel and I continue to see the blasted "Chance to win Walmart gift card," Pop-up. I willingly pressed "Cancel," for a reason. Note to senders. "Do not want, leave unwilling recipient alone." I always have to manually close the window to get away from the blasted "Win a chance to win fun item."

I am soured on this "Win a chance," pop up since I went against my better judgment last year or 2016 and innocently answered a question,"Does anyone in your household have joint pain?" I answered yes because 2 of my family members have Arthritis and they claimed I was seconds away from winning the gift card.

I never got the gift card. I got constantly harrassed by phone and email instead with joint pain medicine offers. I texted that I wanted the joint pain medicine offers to stop. I then politely told them by voice call after they called that I already said I didn't want anymore medicine offers, that I said yes in anticipation of the gift card I never got and politely told them to stop calling and texting me. Note to WOV posters. Learn from my innocent mistake of answering yes to a question about my household.

Yes this is exactly what I’m talking about. I’m positive it’s ad networks serving bad code.

This happened to be on the BBC website just last night

Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
February 19th, 2018 at 11:26:54 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Yes this is exactly what I’m talking about. I’m positive it’s ad networks serving bad code.

This happened to be on the BBC website just last night

Yep that's the kind of garbage I was talking about! Pops up out of nowhere without our consent!
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 20th, 2018 at 12:31:26 AM permalink
I get that kind of crap when listening to radio.com
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
February 20th, 2018 at 3:27:57 PM permalink
I've seen similar things, on videopoker.com as well. There was one really annoying one that would pop up in the middle of the game session right in front of the cards.

I've also spent some time conversing with different people at Videopoker.com about these. As I recall, they just use an advertising company and they do have rules on what adds can appear, including nothing that pops up over the playing field. But sometimes the advertisers sneak things in they are not supposed to.

If you report pop-ups they will try to remove them, depending on if they can figure out where they are coming from. I believe that one of the best ways for them to determine who is sending it is by where it's trying to send you so if you can find the destination they can better determine the advertiser. A screen shot can't hurt either.

I was having a hell of a time trying to get video ads removed, and never could even though I spent three months trying. They would run during the game play and took up enough band width that it completely screwed up the play, with both audio and video problems cropping up. I finally gave up and joined with the Silver plan. I find it well worth the cost of $2.95 a month. It's not quite as slick as Gold, but no more moving video or changing static ads makes the play much more enjoyable for me.

And if you do join Silver or Gold and find ads still popping up I'd guess you have some kind of adware application running.
  • Jump to: