darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
October 16th, 2015 at 2:12:40 PM permalink
After reading the back and forth about the Martingale system in another thread, I am convinced the real cause of disagreement is semantics between the math people and non-math people. A lack of understanding due to one persons intended statement and the literal (but incorrectly understood) reading of the arguments.

As a Jewish member of this board, I would please ask everyone to respectfully refrain from making any Anti-semantic comments.

Thank You
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 16th, 2015 at 2:35:27 PM permalink
Ken yehi ratzon.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Dodsferd
Dodsferd
  • Threads: 1
October 16th, 2015 at 4:08:48 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

As a Jewish member of this board, I would please ask everyone to respectfully refrain from making any Anti-semantic comments.

Thank You

I don't understand. Are you making a joke on the word play? Or do you mean Anti-Semitic comments?

Semantics (from Ancient Greek: σημαντικός sēmantikós, "significant") is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, like words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for; their denotation.

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-Semitism or anti-semitism) is prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews as an ethnic, religious, or racial group. A person who holds such positions is called an antisemite.
This feeling is heavy, makes my body ache and I'm ready; To fall into the sky and I see now, the reason why. My heart is heavy, takes me to a place I can't breathe. Only then I know why I see the warning sign.
darkoz
darkoz
October 16th, 2015 at 5:09:45 PM permalink
Quote: Dodsferd

I don't understand. Are you making a joke on the word play? Or do you mean Anti-Semitic comments?

Semantics (from Ancient Greek: σημαντικός sēmantikós, "significant") is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, like words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for; their denotation.

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-Semitism or anti-semitism) is prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews as an ethnic, religious, or racial group. A person who holds such positions is called an antisemite.

I thought it was obvious. I don't know, maybe it's one of those jokes you have to be Jewish to get. We're guilty for having a lot of those.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 16th, 2015 at 5:59:04 PM permalink

I don't know, maybe it's one of those jokes you have to be Jewish to get. We're guilty for having a lot of those.

The Jewish family is having a large dinner involving several generations and branches. A minor disagreement between two brothers finally erupts into a major argument. One of them grabs a knife from the table and starts to stab the other.

Their mother screams, "No! Not with the bread knife!"

Is that what you had in mind?
darkoz
darkoz
October 16th, 2015 at 6:15:13 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

The Jewish family is having a large dinner involving several generations and branches. A minor disagreement between two brothers finally erupts into a major argument. One of them grabs a knife from the table and starts to stab the other.

Their mother screams, "No! Not with the bread knife!"

Is that what you had in mind?

Yeah, that's one. Then there are the more obvious ones.

Like: What happens to a Jewish man when he walks into a brick wall with a full erection.

He hurts his nose.
redjohn
redjohn
  • Threads: 0
October 16th, 2015 at 6:42:25 PM permalink
I have a big nose and was often mistaken for a Jew. Might have had something to do with me working behind the fish counter in Schriber Brothers supermarket. Old joke , especially in winter back east.

What' is a Jewish girl's favorite wine ?

When are we going to Florida ?
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 10
October 17th, 2015 at 12:36:30 AM permalink
Deleted
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 17th, 2015 at 12:31:46 PM permalink

After reading the back and forth about the Martingale system in another thread, I am convinced the real cause of disagreement is semantics between the math people and non-math people. A lack of understanding due to one persons intended statement and the literal (but incorrectly understood) reading of the arguments.

Thank You

I looked at this twice, first going, "uh-oh, where's the issue for the banhammer..." and then I laughed my tuchas off.

I gotta tell you, I didn't think that particular argument was survivable for either of the opponents. Had my finger on the trigger, brushed over a couple of on-the-edge comments, and (for the moment at least) don't have to do any whacking. Glad they got through it intact.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 17th, 2015 at 1:37:50 PM permalink
Do the Jews like bread or something?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 17th, 2015 at 4:30:16 PM permalink
Why can't I edit my post? I am outraged!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
October 17th, 2015 at 4:31:45 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Why can't I edit my post? I am outraged!

Because you touch yourself at night

And dont piss off Jews they control banks and media and the flow of cards in the shoe of life
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
October 17th, 2015 at 6:05:27 PM permalink

Bagels.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 17th, 2015 at 7:12:22 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Bagels.

Whitefish salad. Smoked salmon. Pumpernickel bread. Brisket. Reubens. All to die for!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
redjohn
redjohn
October 17th, 2015 at 7:48:05 PM permalink
What, no guilty fish ?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 17th, 2015 at 8:38:23 PM permalink

I take it from this post that perhaps my earlier quip came close to meeting the standard that darkoz suggested: jokes that you have to be Jewish to get. Except that I'm Gentile. And kind too.
darkoz
darkoz
October 17th, 2015 at 9:29:25 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Bagels.

Bagels are the only holey bread Jews will eat

EDIT: Bagels and donuts!

I suppose you could count Pizza too since we absolutely worship that!
Entirele
Entirele
October 29th, 2015 at 2:11:39 AM permalink
:D I liked the joke..) But why did you named him antisemit.. I don`t understand the position when each joke is as antisemitism..
“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” ― Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
  • Jump to: