Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
  • Threads: 58
January 30th, 2015 at 3:16:01 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Murderer

Just wanted to get that one straight so I won't be called a racist.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 30th, 2015 at 9:20:25 PM permalink
I had to go look up "fob" - never heard it was an acronym for anything. Have used it as "watch fob" which is the chain that connects a pocket watch to a pin or tack (so you don't drop it to the ground pulling it out) that attaches to your clothes. Am also aware of, but don't think of it, in the context of a "key fob" (similar purpose).

As an acronym, it's illiterate. So why does that not surprise me, since it's meant to be derogatory. Funny how much of new language is derisive and/or snarky. Is the world so out of control that people need to constantly find reasons and ways to look down on other people just to validate themselves? Maybe so.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
January 31st, 2015 at 2:04:28 AM permalink
Quote: Baccaratfrom79

BTW, what would one call a rap star that kills people??

Sug Knight and most other rap punks are rascists. Those that rail against the evil white race are rascist. Liberal policies that condem the poor to spend their entire lives in poverty are the most rascist of all.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 31st, 2015 at 3:56:20 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I had to go look up "fob" - never heard it was an acronym for anything. Have used it as "watch fob" which is the chain that connects a pocket watch to a pin or tack (so you don't drop it to the ground pulling it out) that attaches to your clothes. Am also aware of, but don't think of it, in the context of a "key fob" (similar purpose).

FOB = "Free On Board." A shipping term followed by the place that is *not* paying and listed on the Bill of Lading. E.G.: "1 Chevy Volt, FOB/Detroit."

Quote:

Is the world so out of control that people need to constantly find reasons and ways to look down on other people just to validate themselves? Maybe so.

No, it is the other way around. Some people need to find offense at any innocuous statement so the other person can be "cut down to size." A person who brings nothing to the table can say "RACISM!" and all of the sudden they get listened to. Well, not by me, but by enough people that they get something out of the deal.

"Europe"--word to describe a continent, a geographic term
"European"--A term used to describe someone from or with heritage of people from Europe

"The Orient"--word used to describe the Pacific Rim, or eastern part of Asia
"Oriental"--A term used to describe someone from or with heritage of people from areas of The Orient

So, why has one become a "racist" term lately? The only reason I see is to give another tool to those unable to construct clear thoughts.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RS
RS
January 31st, 2015 at 4:16:44 AM permalink
I always interpreted FOB as Fresh Off The Boat -- basically someone born in Asia and moved here (USA). Of course, it can/does also refer to people who act very Asian (rice for every meal, bunch of Asian stuff in their house like the beads and Buddha/other statues, etc.).
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 31st, 2015 at 5:45:55 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I always interpreted FOB as Fresh Off The Boat -- basically someone born in Asia and moved here (USA). Of course, it can/does also refer to people who act very Asian (rice for every meal, bunch of Asian stuff in their house like the beads and Buddha/other statues, etc.).

It's way old and not asian specifically. I've never actually heard it referred to Asians because we usually use it referring to European people, often friends and relatives.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 31st, 2015 at 5:54:58 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

FOB = "Free On Board." A shipping term followed by the place that is *not* paying and listed on the Bill of Lading. E.G.: "1 Chevy Volt, FOB/Detroit."

No, it is the other way around. Some people need to find offense at any innocuous statement so the other person can be "cut down to size." A person who brings nothing to the table can say "RACISM!" and all of the sudden they get listened to. Well, not by me, but by enough people that they get something out of the deal.

"Europe"--word to describe a continent, a geographic term
"European"--A term used to describe someone from or with heritage of people from Europe

"The Orient"--word used to describe the Pacific Rim, or eastern part of Asia
"Oriental"--A term used to describe someone from or with heritage of people from areas of The Orient

So, why has one become a "racist" term lately? The only reason I see is to give another tool to those unable to construct clear thoughts.

They would say racially insensitive and inaccurate. There would be clear rationale for this based on modern standards. I'm not the expert, but Oriental doesn't describe all Asians, so saying Oriental, it's not a clear thought sticking to the 1950s text book.
I am a robot.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
January 31st, 2015 at 7:35:45 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

Being called a rascist is pretty much of a joke these days. It's a catch all term the left uses to describe anyone who doesn't support their policies. If you can't win the debate play the race card. Its a way for the left to stifle debate and play on white guilt. If you believe in low taxes and less government you are a rascist. If you believe in law and order you are a rascist. The list goes on and on. Call me a rascist all you want. I don't care anymore. Your tactics of calling me a rascist will not change my opinion on anything.

All true, and frankly, getting a bit old.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
January 31st, 2015 at 10:13:19 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Or a cracker.

Or honky. Sure is tough to get under the skin of whites. We are offended by nothing, others by everything apparently.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 31st, 2015 at 2:31:06 PM permalink
Quote: Canyonero

Hey Francisco, I am also a little bothered by the fact that the number of racists and bigots on this forum seems above the internet average.

What's the average?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 31st, 2015 at 3:04:55 PM permalink
It's OK to say you bought an Oriental rug
or Oriental pottery, but calling someone
that is racist? If you say so..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
February 1st, 2015 at 2:36:33 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

It's way old and not asian specifically. I've never actually heard it referred to Asians because we usually use it referring to European people, often friends and relatives.

Yea, I have actually never heard it to be used referring to Asians either (granted where I live, most Asians are more "American" than many Americans), but usually referring to Europeans who moved here, or in (actually this is how I most often heard it) funny stories by elders about old family members about when they first moved here.

I guess anything can be said in an intent to insult manner, but I don't find FOB particularly bad. For example if I moved to Europe and somebody called me a FOB I would probably just nod in agreement...

Is it really offensive to socially classify somebody as a fresh immigrant? I don't see how. Especially if its used in a way to quickly pardon somebody's behavior if they accidentally overlook cultural norms that they are unaware of.
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
February 1st, 2015 at 5:29:34 AM permalink
Regarding Asians and Racism. Just about all the ones I am familiar with I would say the following regarding doing things and believe in things because they grew up-adopted those-became convinced in them, etc., and not saying-"Hey I'm Asian so I have to do this or that or my believes are so and so". The latter would be compared to an employee doing/following a rule of the company event though he does not believe in what it is and it will not work with a situation, etc. I have known and met with plenty of new "FOB's" and there would seriously be no way you can tell unless your basing it on their language and slang knowledge. Likewise, I have known plenty of Asians and as long as they are residing in a larger "Asian ordinated" community they might not even speak fluent English and know slang--they have been here say 20 years or more as well. Latinos are the same, say in South Florida for example and NYC.

Regarding the Oriental Vs. Asian wording. Seriously I deal with plenty of Asians all the time. While it is generally not said, "Hey are you Oriental or is that the Oriental way of doing so and so", etc. I personally don't believe they get offended. However, the word oriental is generally not used much in that context--it is usually 'Asian'.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
February 1st, 2015 at 7:15:39 AM permalink
Quote: Canyonero

Hey Francisco, I am also a little bothered by the fact that the number of racists and bigots on this forum seems above the internet average. However, they are still only a vocal and obnoxious minority. Hang around here for a little while and you know who they are and you will know which threads you don't need to bother with. And with the rest of the people here, you can have the best gambling and Vegas discussions anywhere on the net.

This statement is pretty much a pile of crap. There are "bigots" here only to those who don't allow for other opinions than what is currently politically correct or in vogue. People who make that argument against the ones they term as "bigots" are just trying to lump those who oppose their point of view in some disposable group. That, and of course, we have lots of folks who jokingly call themselves "bigots" when polls here don't give a good answer to choose from, when they feel like being a little bit of a smart-a**, or when they just feel like choosing the non-answer to a poll.

Racism? There isn't much of that here, either. There are discussions about race and accusations about race, but not a lot of real racism. For example, the current stupid underlying argument about the term "Oriental" being "racist"...it isn't at all unless someone goes out of their way to be offended because, well, they like being a victim. It is a discussion topic and not much more than that. Different people have had different input and presented their ideas.

The negative aspect of calling everyone who disagrees with a particular point of view a "bigot" or a "racist" (depending on the discussion at hand) is that everyone just starts calling EVERYTHING those things and there is no real discussion...and the really racist and/or bigoted people end up getting away with more because everyone is tired of hearing so many things labeled what they really aren't...
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
February 1st, 2015 at 8:01:03 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

This statement is pretty much a pile of crap. There are "bigots" here only to those who don't allow for other opinions than what is currently politically correct or in vogue. People who make that argument against the ones they term as "bigots" are just trying to lump those who oppose their point of view in some disposable group. That, and of course, we have lots of folks who jokingly call themselves "bigots" when polls here don't give a good answer to choose from, when they feel like being a little bit of a smart-a**, or when they just feel like choosing the non-answer to a poll.

Racism? There isn't much of that here, either. There are discussions about race and accusations about race, but not a lot of real racism. For example, the current stupid underlying argument about the term "Oriental" being "racist"...it isn't at all unless someone goes out of their way to be offended because, well, they like being a victim. It is a discussion topic and not much more than that. Different people have had different input and presented their ideas.

The negative aspect of calling everyone who disagrees with a particular point of view a "bigot" or a "racist" (depending on the discussion at hand) is that everyone just starts calling EVERYTHING those things and there is no real discussion...and the really racist and/or bigoted people end up getting away with more because everyone is tired of hearing so many things labeled what they really aren't...

yes, I agree. But I,
'm just a simple person. From now on, anyone on this forum who disagrees with me-on any subject-is going to be called a fascist by me. I think the sky is green. If you think it is blue then you are obviously a fascist. A lowdown dirty rascist. So if you don't want to be called that then don't disagree with me.
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
February 1st, 2015 at 8:02:14 AM permalink

Excellent and pretty well spot on.
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
February 1st, 2015 at 8:32:05 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's OK to say you bought an Oriental rug
or Oriental pottery, but calling someone
that is racist? If you say so..

There is no real argument here. For those of you that have no Asian family it would be the same as calling someone a New York'er versus an American. I asked my wife if she would be offended if someone called her an 'oriental' and she said no-why, she was from the orient.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2015 at 12:15:46 PM permalink
There's an Oriental branch of the Catholic
church and it's still called that. Those racists.

There's the NAACP. Double racists. Calling
themselves 'colored people'? I heard that as
a kid in the 50's and it was fine, everybody
said it. Now it will get you shot. Unless
you're in the NAACP. Figure that one out.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2015 at 12:49:20 PM permalink

There's the NAACP. Double racists. Calling
themselves 'colored people'? I heard that as
a kid in the 50's and it was fine, everybody
said it. Now it will get you shot. Unless
you're in the NAACP. Figure that one out.

What I do not get is "colored" is somehow "racist" yet "people of color" is some kind of badge of honor. Yet another reason I don't care.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
February 1st, 2015 at 2:42:16 PM permalink

Those are the people who classify, for example, Lou Dobbs, as a "racist." Firstly, because of where he works and, secondly, because of his strong opposition to illegal immigration.
The ignorance of the accusers is palpable, especially when we consider that Dobbs is quite happily married to a woman from Mexico.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2015 at 2:44:57 PM permalink

What I do not get is "colored" is somehow "racist" yet "people of color" is some kind of badge of honor. Yet another reason I don't care.

My dad used to say 'that colored guy at work',
or 'that colored movie actor'. But everybody
talked that way, everybody.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2015 at 5:48:24 PM permalink

EVERYBODY!

EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2015 at 6:49:43 PM permalink

EVERYBODY!

That was 1980. In 1960 nobody would
have raised an eyebrow.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 2nd, 2015 at 7:58:33 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I have never heard anyone say "fresh off the boat" without it being in the acronym form. I can confirm that my Asian friends in DC use the term (along with my hometown which is Seattle as mentioned). Regional differences in English are odd.

I'm sure someone could find a way to make key fob offensive.

Funny, there's a sitcom premiering Wednesday on ABC called "Fresh Off the Boat". It's based on a book by an Eddie Huang. They've got 13 episodes in the can. The question is will it last that long?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 2nd, 2015 at 8:11:31 AM permalink
Quote: Baccaratfrom79

There is no real argument here. For those of you that have no Asian family it would be the same as calling someone a New York'er versus an American. I asked my wife if she would be offended if someone called her an 'oriental' and she said no-why, she was from the orient.

My significant other is Asian and she gets offended by the term oriental.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 2nd, 2015 at 8:13:04 AM permalink

My grandparents said colored or darkies.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 2nd, 2015 at 8:19:44 AM permalink
Most people associate racism with southern states, and rightfully so, but you should have been in Boston in the 60s.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
February 2nd, 2015 at 8:22:04 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

My significant other is Asian and she gets offended by the term oriental.

Different upbringing? Different perspectives I can only assume? She does get upset and offended if someone asked her how she got to this country or similar or even hints she is a FOB, etc. Her dad was in the US Air Force and gave his life so she takes more offense to people hinting that she shouldn't be here or she might be illegal, etc. But she really doesn't care about classification as an 'oriental'.
  • Jump to: