Eazzy
Eazzy
Joined: Jul 28, 2013
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 27
October 31st, 2014 at 2:26:49 PM permalink
I used to take the academy bus from Staten Island. It left the first stop 10minutes before schedule...because it could not make the later stops on time because the schedule did not take into account traffic...regulars new this...bus drivers new this...but amazingly Academy never changed the schedule...

Then the Tropicana cut the casino package...and finally as Academy raised the price Tropicana began to refused to honor there $30 casino play if you had not been playing there over the voucher....I had never heard of and AC casino not honoring the bus vouchers...

I switched to the Chinese buses out of Brooklyn and china town....half the price... better comps ...one stop...horrible buses but for the price...who can complain...And every now and then the price is waved (don't now why or how often but it nice when it happens)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 263
  • Posts: 14081
October 31st, 2014 at 4:38:05 PM permalink
Quote: Eazzy

I switched to the Chinese buses out of Brooklyn and china town....half the price... better comps ...one stop...horrible buses but for the price...who can complain.

Inveterate gamblers them Chinese. I think the whole table at that mis-packaged mini-Baccarat deal was a group of bus-addicts.

Its terrible to read of travel ordeals like this, but I do admire those who can endure them and not have it affect their later decisions while gambling. I'd be too pissed to even remember what was trump during my Blackjack games.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 437
March 9th, 2015 at 7:00:57 PM permalink
####UPDATE#####

In response to the allegations of Academy's lack of service and loyalty to paying customers, they have changed their schedule to AC!

By cutting their bus service in HALF! They now have a measely 4 buses going to AC on weekdays, down from 8.

The last bus departs Cheesequake at 2 45pm and the last bus from AC leaves at 6pm. The next bus after that? 8 30 AM , making a 14 hour gap between buses if it ends up being full. The last bus on weekends is 6 45 pm and 10 pm returning from AC. With an 8 hour gap until the next bust leaving at 6 30 am.

They're not even considering that things will pick up in the summer time and if they don't change it back it will be an even bigger mess for commuters than last year.

I'm sure they don't care bout people fighting over seats and their reputation being tarnished for good. So expect there to be some lousy PR this summer when a riot breaks out due to a greedy bus company throwing caution to the wind and screwing over loyal patrons.
bobsims
bobsims
Joined: Apr 8, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 316
March 10th, 2015 at 7:05:48 AM permalink
Quote: BedWetterBetter

####UPDATE#####

In response to the allegations of Academy's lack of service and loyalty to paying customers, they have changed their schedule to AC!

By cutting their bus service in HALF! They now have a measely 4 buses going to AC on weekdays, down from 8.

The last bus departs Cheesequake at 2 45pm and the last bus from AC leaves at 6pm. The next bus after that? 8 30 AM , making a 14 hour gap between buses if it ends up being full. The last bus on weekends is 6 45 pm and 10 pm returning from AC. With an 8 hour gap until the next bust leaving at 6 30 am.

They're not even considering that things will pick up in the summer time and if they don't change it back it will be an even bigger mess for commuters than last year.

I'm sure they don't care bout people fighting over seats and their reputation being tarnished for good. So expect there to be some lousy PR this summer when a riot breaks out due to a greedy bus company throwing caution to the wind and screwing over loyal patrons.



I think you're better off driving in. It's only an hour and a half? from Cheesequake and that is the most pleasant stretch on the GSP-minus the damn tolls of course.
darkoz
darkoz 
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 5584
March 10th, 2015 at 7:23:05 AM permalink
Sounds like you may need to drive into the city (New York.) You can catch the Greyhound from Port Authority to most of the AC casinos. They leave and return every half-hour except during the night hours. The last bus leaves NYC at 11:30PM and the first bus to return is 8:10AM.

You get $25 slot-play for the $38 ticket ($45 on Friday and Saturday).

All the buses have wi-fi and bathrooms.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 437
March 10th, 2015 at 8:37:08 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Sounds like you may need to drive into the city (New York.) You can catch the Greyhound from Port Authority to most of the AC casinos. They leave and return every half-hour except during the night hours. The last bus leaves NYC at 11:30PM and the first bus to return is 8:10AM.

You get $25 slot-play for the $38 ticket ($45 on Friday and Saturday).

All the buses have wi-fi and bathrooms.



I've tried Greyhound from NYC, it just takes too long. I need to catch a bus 15 mins walk from my home, pay 5.50 each way. Sit for an hour on NJ transit buses each way, hope that the return Greyhound gets me to Port Authority in time to catch a bus to Bergen county NJ and then walk 20 mins home.

Overall, it would add 3-4 hours extra to an 8 hour day trip.

I just fear that Academy is purposely trying to phase out service to AC and it will result in a violent incident during the summer peak for Jersey shore goers.

Really sad too, I never had a bad thing to say until these last few years. And I have used them since 2008.
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 179
  • Posts: 3278
March 10th, 2015 at 9:34:47 PM permalink
Sounds awful. Also brings me back to the early days of my career, 2004-2006 playing AC. I lived in Philly and used Greyhound as my transportation to AC, several times per week. Round trip was $14 at first and then raised to $16 and then $18. The return option was open for 72 hours. There were 8-10 scheduled trips a day and most of then came with a casino bonus, at first in cash, later machine credit, that would make the trip just about break even. The 8pm trip to Showboat returned $20 cash (later machine credit) for a small profit. As you might imagine that bus was crowded.

All of the buses that either returned a small profit or were break even were populated by homeless people that just rode back and forth, using the time for sleep. That was pretty annoying and sometimes smelly. :/

I was on a shoe-string budget and bankroll, but one of the first 'luxuries' I allowed myself was to start taking the train (NJ transit) for my AC trips at a cost of first $6 and then $8 each way. A much nicer ride. :)
Just say no to 6:5 Blackjack, Continuous shuffle machines and Blackjack the Forum. All are Negative expected value.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 437
March 11th, 2015 at 3:51:10 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Sounds awful. Also brings me back to the early days of my career, 2004-2006 playing AC. I lived in Philly and used Greyhound as my transportation to AC, several times per week. Round trip was $14 at first and then raised to $16 and then $18. The return option was open for 72 hours. There were 8-10 scheduled trips a day and most of then came with a casino bonus, at first in cash, later machine credit, that would make the trip just about break even. The 8pm trip to Showboat returned $20 cash (later machine credit) for a small profit. As you might imagine that bus was crowded.

All of the buses that either returned a small profit or were break even were populated by homeless people that just rode back and forth, using the time for sleep. That was pretty annoying and sometimes smelly. :/

I was on a shoe-string budget and bankroll, but one of the first 'luxuries' I allowed myself was to start taking the train (NJ transit) for my AC trips at a cost of first $6 and then $8 each way. A much nicer ride. :)



They tried the ACES express train to AC from Port Authority for about 8 months, then shut it down.

The problem with it, it would take you to Camden, transfer to another train and get you over to AC in 3 and a half hours time for 36-60 dollars EACH way. And it only ran on Fri-Sun with no casino bonus at all. So needless to say, commuters opted for the alternative for half the money in half the time.

Ironically, I just received my free bus ticket in the mail! Maybe I can auction it during the fire sale of Taj mahal!
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5444
March 13th, 2015 at 11:11:47 PM permalink
I believe Academy cancelled their Middlesex County line run as well.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 437
November 9th, 2015 at 8:58:24 AM permalink
****November Update****

Academy Service to Atlantic City reducing weekend buses on Saturday & Sunday. There was a wave of "cancelled" buses for the weekend service in the last 6 weeks. It seemed random at first, but now it appears the 1 pm and 5 pm buses from NYC to AC are being cut from the weekend schedule.

These times are NOT available during the week and for whatever reason, Academy feels they can use weekend riders as guinea pigs for this. Could end up being a HUGE problem on Sundays, as the 5 pm bus was the last bus leaving and therefore is the last return bus from AC departing at 9 pm.

Greyhound , here I come!

  • Jump to: