MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
May 30th, 2014 at 9:04:31 AM permalink
Does anyone else turn off the radio when this guy's ads come on? At first, it was just an old guy telling how many different hearing aids he'd tried and how he could help you select one. At the end of his ad, he gives his phone number something like six times. His voice is at first kindly but soon gets grating. His ad has changed at least once, maybe twice, since the original one, but I just left my office for a moment and came back right when he was in the middle of giving out his phone numbers, so he still does that. I turned off the radio.

Are these ads playing throughout the country or just in Vegas? Does anyone else find it as irritating as I do? Does the radio have "instant ratings" and can see that they lose 80% of their listeners when this guy's ads are played?

I HATE you, Ken Davenport with Quality Hearing Aids! And when the day comes where I'll need hearing aids, I definitely will not call you or use any product you endorse! (Of course, I guess I wouldn't know what products he endorses since I always turn him off.)
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
May 30th, 2014 at 9:10:37 AM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

Does anyone else turn off the radio when this guy's ads come on? At first, it was just an old guy telling how many different hearing aids he'd tried and how he could help you select one. At the end of his ad, he gives his phone number something like six times. His voice is at first kindly but soon gets grating. His ad has changed at least once, maybe twice, since the original one, but I just left my office for a moment and came back right when he was in the middle of giving out his phone numbers, so he still does that. I turned off the radio.

Are these ads playing throughout the country or just in Vegas? Does anyone else find it as irritating as I do? Does the radio have "instant ratings" and can see that they lose 80% of their listeners when this guy's ads are played?

I HATE you, Ken Davenport with Quality Hearing Aids! And when the day comes where I'll need hearing aids, I definitely will not call you or use any product you endorse! (Of course, I guess I wouldn't know what products he endorses since I always turn him off.)

Huh? What? You're talking about it so I guess the ad is working. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 30th, 2014 at 9:14:47 AM permalink

Does anyone else turn off the radio when this guy's ads come on?

Suscribe to Audible and plug your phone or tablet to your car stereo. Audiobooks are a much better, and more edifying, way of passing the time while driving anyway.

Quote:

Does the radio have "instant ratings" and can see that they lose 80% of their listeners when this guy's ads are played?

Perhaps not. but the people running the ads do know how their sales behave and can gauge whether their ads are helping or not. No one keeps doing the same thing over and over when it doens't work, no one except government.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
May 30th, 2014 at 9:57:27 AM permalink
What's a radio?
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
May 30th, 2014 at 9:58:36 AM permalink
I live in the Midwest and never heard of the guy. But I haven't heard a hearing aid ad on the radio in a long time either.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
May 30th, 2014 at 10:17:56 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

No one keeps doing the same thing over and over when it doens't work ...

Are you sure?

#evil_laugh
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
May 30th, 2014 at 10:34:49 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

What's a radio?

Dunno but black people don't like it when you touch theirs. Source: Rush Hour
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
May 30th, 2014 at 10:37:07 AM permalink
That's pretty evil all right. Your handle should be MrColdth j/k
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
May 30th, 2014 at 3:58:08 PM permalink
I decided to google "ken davenport", didn't find much at first. Had to add "hearing aids"

Why such fail at first? His name is Kent Davenport. And he is definitely local.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
May 30th, 2014 at 4:01:19 PM permalink
I never hear that commercial on Amos n Andy .
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
May 30th, 2014 at 4:39:59 PM permalink
Commercials on the radio (or anywhere for that matter) are usually just a waste of time but his are not usually. I actually kinda like his tidbits of info or history or point of view on guns or whatever it is on his mind. If you were a self reliant republican you might actually enjoy his commercials.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 30th, 2014 at 5:15:11 PM permalink
On a related note, an old man on a commercial you can love, would be the guy who says,"I'm 70 years old and look what I can do," while he jumps 2 inches from the ground.

post #1776
I am a robot.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
May 31st, 2014 at 9:25:56 AM permalink

You know what I hate? All those commercials on TV where at the end they offer you a second one free, "just pay separate processing me handling." Just for fun I've tried to call the 800 number to see if I could waive getting the "free" one. There's no live person option; no customer service rep you can talk to. I would have enjoyed asking if I could just get the one item for the price advertised.

Warning: If you buy two pairs of shoes and get the third pair free, you didn't get a free pair of shoes, you bought 3 pairs of shoes!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 31st, 2014 at 9:39:04 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

You know what I hate? All those commercials on TV where at the end they offer you a second one free, "just pay separate processing me handling." Just for fun I've tried to call the 800 number to see if I could waive getting the "free" one. There's no live person option; no customer service rep you can talk to. I would have enjoyed asking if I could just get the one item for the price advertised.

Warning: If you buy two pairs of shoes and get the third pair free, you didn't get a free pair of shoes, you bought 3 pairs of shoes!

Lol....+1
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2014 at 9:51:13 AM permalink

You know what I hate? All those commercials on TV where at the end they offer you a second one free, "just pay separate processing me handling." Just for fun I've tried to call the 800 number to see if I could waive getting the "free" one.

And it's only available for the next 30 minutes! You'd better call NOW before the special promotion ends!!! It's not available in stores!! It's an exclusive TV offer you won't find anywhere else!!! :)

On other things, does anyone recall the "Head on" ads of a few years back?
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
May 31st, 2014 at 10:13:47 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Commercials on the radio (or anywhere for that matter) are usually just a waste of time but his are not usually. I actually kinda like his tidbits of info or history or point of view on guns or whatever it is on his mind. If you were a self reliant republican you might actually enjoy his commercials.

Disliking Kent Davenport commercials so much I turn them off --> wild-eyed blueneck America-hating libtard.

Not a stretch. No, not at all.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
May 31st, 2014 at 10:15:45 AM permalink

One of the great marketing triumphs of all time! When you get something on sale, you didn't save anything. You merely spent less. Spending less is definitely a good thing, but when money leaves your pocket, you haven't "saved" anything.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 31st, 2014 at 10:24:27 AM permalink

And it's only available for the next 30 minutes! You'd better call NOW before the special promotion ends!!! It's not available in stores!! It's an exclusive TV offer you won't find anywhere else!!! :)

On other things, does anyone recall the "Head on" ads of a few years back?

Haven't heard of those ads. But how about the three most obnoxious words in the world: We Buy Gold. And those flyers that offer you 20- 30- or 50% more! 50% more than what? 50% more than your ridiculously low original offer? Someone please take a gold watch to one of these stores, get their offer, then pull out your "50% more" coupon. I'm certain the "proprietor" will tell you that the additional 50% is already figured in.

I've heard that a lot if these stores open up and buy stolen jewelry from thieves that work the neighborhood. They can offer the thieves below market rates and won't get much resistance.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
May 31st, 2014 at 10:47:40 AM permalink

Disliking Kent Davenport commercials so much I turn them off --> wild-eyed blueneck America-hating libtard.

Not a stretch. No, not at all.

Did you not notice his freedom loving tone in EVERY one of his commercials before you turn his little speech off?
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
May 31st, 2014 at 11:16:11 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

But I haven't heard a hearing aid ad on the radio in a long time either.

Maybe a hint you need to try his product :)
Nareed
Nareed
May 31st, 2014 at 11:32:14 AM permalink

Haven't heard of those ads.

They were on briefly a few years back. I can't even remmeber when they ran.

The thing is Larry Niven brought them up in his sequel to "Inferno," along with mention of recently deceased celebrities. Some pit of hell was overpopulated with advertising agency types. I wonder how many people will read that part and understand what he's talking about.

Quote:

But how about the three most obnoxious words in the world: We Buy Gold. And those flyers that offer you 20- 30- or 50% more!

Well, it's easy to find out the amrket's asking price for gold before attempting to sell any. If people get taken in by such ads, that's natural selection trying to do its work, on both sides of the predator-prey divide.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Nigerian email scam still works.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 31st, 2014 at 11:44:49 AM permalink

They were on briefly a few years back. I can't even remmeber when they ran.

The thing is Larry Niven brought them up in his sequel to "Inferno," along with mention of recently deceased celebrities. Some pit of hell was overpopulated with advertising agency types. I wonder how many people will read that part and understand what he's talking about.

Well, it's easy to find out the amrket's asking price for gold before attempting to sell any. If people get taken in by such ads, that's natural selection trying to do its work, on both sides of the predator-prey divide.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Nigerian email scam still works.

I'm trying to get a 19-year-old Nigerian princess virgin restored to her royal linage right now. She wants to deposit $10,000,000 into my bank account for safe keeping.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
May 31st, 2014 at 1:22:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

I like the Jimmy John's commercials. They are actually pretty funny and hold my interest. Other then that, every commercial indicates it's time to switch the station.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
  • Jump to: