AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 7th, 2014 at 1:05:47 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Now the French Laundry which is probably the most expensive restaurant in the USA charges a fixed price of $295 for dinner (SERVICE INCLUDED).

Since wine could cost almost anything, you could easily spend $400 for a meal. But I have not ever heard of anyone spending that much for lunch without wine. So where did you go and what did you eat?

We were at French Laundry :) They charge you an extra $50 per person if you get the private dining room (or $55 apparently, since it was $350). This is by far the easiest way to get a reservation, particularly for a large group (we were 10), particularly if you insist on a particular day (there were some people who were only in town for a short time). That includes service but not tax. After tax it was about $380 or $390 IIRC. I rounded off to $400 since I do not remember the exact amount off the top of my head.

They also have optional supplements, so it's possible to be well over $400 without wine. In the menu that you linked to, note the $75 supplement for caviar, the $100 supplement for truffles, and the $100 supplement for the wagyu. On that menu alone, getting all supplements, you are looking at $570, plus tax, for just the food, not including an extra charge for the private dining room.

FWIW, they change their menu every day, apparently. That is almost what we had, but not quite (a few dishes were different, despite the fact that the menu is only one day removed from the day that we were there)

Oh -- and, as a final act of gluttony, many of us went to Bouchon for dinner later that evening :) Thomas Keller day!

Is French Laundry really the most expensive restaurant in the US? I would expect Joel Robuchon in the MGM Grand to be more (although I am not sure if they are open for lunch?). I have eaten at L'Atelier but not at the main Joel Robuchon restaurant. I was not that impressed by L'Atelier but maybe I need to try the main one to give it a fair chance.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 179
April 7th, 2014 at 1:09:25 AM permalink
I will finish my popcorn, sometimes before the movie starts because of all the trailers, ads, and random info messages, and even trivia contests.

I try to avoid them, but sometimes they will start a movie with more or less of those, which can leave you guessing when the actual movie will start.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 7th, 2014 at 1:20:59 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Now the French Laundry which is probably the most expensive restaurant in the USA charges a fixed price of $295 for dinner (SERVICE INCLUDED).

Since wine could cost almost anything, you could easily spend $400 for a meal. But I have not ever heard of anyone spending that much for lunch without wine. So where did you go and what did you eat?

We were at French Laundry :) They charge you an extra $50 per person if you get the private dining room (or $55 apparently, since it was $350). This is by far the easiest way to get a reservation, particularly for a large group (we were 10), particularly if you insist on a particular day (there were some people who were only in town for a short time). That includes service but not tax. After tax it was about $380 or $390 IIRC. I rounded off to $400 since I do not remember the exact amount off the top of my head.

They also have optional supplements, so it's possible to be well over $400 without wine. In the menu that you linked to, note the $75 supplement for caviar, the $100 supplement for truffles, and the $100 supplement for the wagyu. On that menu alone, getting all supplements, you are looking at $570, plus tax, for just the food, not including an extra charge for the private dining room.

FWIW, they change their menu every day, apparently. That is almost what we had, but not quite (a few dishes were different, despite the fact that the menu is only one day removed from the day that we were there)

Oh -- and, as a final act of gluttony, many of us went to Bouchon for dinner later that evening :) Thomas Keller day!

Is French Laundry really the most expensive restaurant in the US? I would expect Joel Robuchon in the MGM Grand to be more (although I am not sure if they are open for lunch?). I have eaten at L'Atelier but not at the main Joel Robuchon restaurant. I was not that impressed by L'Atelier but maybe I need to try the main one to give it a fair chance.

That is just how different the world is we live in. I would never spend that much on a meal but I would buy popcorn and snacks and a soda at the concession stand :)
I know you cannot compare one with the other but that is just it. I'm not a foodie but I do love a good meal every now and then. Most recently we spent around $500 for 4 people at old homestead at Caesars. That, to me is also excessive but it was for my birthday.

Different strokes for different folks. It did make me look up The French Laundy. Might have to take a trip to wine country at some point with the missus :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 7th, 2014 at 1:32:41 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I have seen it ranked as #1, but there is always going to be some debate about what options you order. This article is a little old, but it is ranked as #4. Without checking each restaurant on the list below, my guess is only the French Laundry is open for lunch. Plus you can be most people are spending hundreds on wine.

The 20 Most Expensive Restaurants In The U.S.
Meredith Galante Oct. 25, 2011
Prices include meal, one drink and tip.
#20 A meal at Benu in San Francisco costs $143 per person
#19 A meal at the Inn at Little Washington in Washington, D.C. costs $145 per person
#18 A meal at Menton in Boston costs $145 per person
#17 A meal at Le Bernardin in New York City costs $146 per person
#16 A meal at Mélisse in Santa Monica, Calif. costs $150 per person
#15 A meal at Manresa in Los Gatos, Calif. costs $150 per person
#14 A meal at Saam at The Bazaar by José Andrés in Los Angeles costs $156 per person
#13 A meal at Victoria & Albert's in Orlando costs $163 per person
#12 A meal at Momofuku Ko in New York City costs $163 per person
#11 A meal at Meadowood, The Restaurant in Napa Valley costs $163 per person
#10 A meal at The Kitchen in Sacramento costs $163 per person
#9 A meal at Guy Savoy in Las Vegas costs $190 per meal
#8 A meal at Alinea in Chicago costs $199 per person
#7 A meal at Herbfarm in Seattle costs $215 per person
#6 A meal at Joël Robuchon in Las Vegas costs $230 per person
#5 A meal at the Brooklyn Fair Kitchen in Brooklyn costs $241 per person
#4 A meal at French Laundry in Yountville, Calif. costs $297 per person
#3 A meal at Per Se in New York City costs $325 per person
#2 A meal at Urasawa in Beverly Hills costs $488 per person
#1 A meal at Masa in New York City costs $585 per person
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 7th, 2014 at 1:38:24 AM permalink

I have seen it ranked as #1, but there is always going to be some debate about what options you order. This article is a little old, but it is ranked as #4. Without checking each restaurant on the list below, my guess is only the French Laundry is open for lunch. Plus you can be most people are spending hundreds on wine.

#19 A meal at the Inn at Little Washington in Washington, D.C. costs $145 per person
#14 A meal at Saam at The Bazaar by José Andrés in Los Angeles costs $156 per person

Yeah the top 10 in 2012 looked pretty similar with a few exceptions. Brooklyn Fair kitchen is not there at all. Robuchon is at no. 7. Victoria and Albert's at no. 10.
Incidentally, V&A's is still the only restaurant in the US that require men to wear a jacket.....

I would love to eat there, what with Disney World on your doorstep, classic elegance and no doubt good food.....ADD to the bucket list :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 7th, 2014 at 2:03:35 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Incidentally, V&A's is still the only restaurant in the US that require men to wear a jacket.....

French Laundry does as well, I can assure you. This is particularly out of place in California.

Also, I thought that Joel Robuchon in Vegas (MGM) did also? I have not been there so I cannot say for sure.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 7th, 2014 at 2:09:46 AM permalink

I have also eaten at Manresa and I spent more than $150 (again -- remember that I don't drink wine. Although they did have a cocktail list and a beer list, so I have one of each). I don't remember the exact amount but I feel fairly sure that it was well over $200, and we did not get any supplements to the menu. I do believe that they had 2 tasting menus of different prices and we got the "good" one, though. It was several months ago so I don't remember the details.

I really need to try Benu. I have heard good things.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 7th, 2014 at 3:12:01 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

In other news Chick Fil-A has finally passed KFC as the number one chicken quick service chain in America. They are the only fast casual restaurant who surpasses $3 million in sales per location.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 316
April 7th, 2014 at 3:35:16 AM permalink
getting back to popcorn, typically I am so disappointed in what the theaters today put out. And what passes for butter just ticks me off.
The Dice, the cards, they not only have no sense of justice but are actually endowed with a sense of cruel irony. This devolves from the 'nature of random'. Ironically so, don't you see. 
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 8
April 7th, 2014 at 8:43:10 AM permalink
I go to the "NJ" Giants football games.

One of the fans in my section always brought a 35 gallon clear plastic garbage bag that was filled with pop corn. He would pass it around.

Due to a crack down on security, I don't think they allow him to do that anymore.

• Jump to: