Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
July 11th, 2013 at 12:21:35 PM permalink
Anybody notice suspensions have gone up 10 fold since Mission 146 was deputized ??? Just saying !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 11th, 2013 at 12:25:40 PM permalink
I am a fairly new member, and both of my suspensions were initiated by the Wiz, not Mission 146.

Just sayin' ...
"What, me worry?"
Buzzard
Buzzard
July 11th, 2013 at 12:27:08 PM permalink
It has been rumored that Wiz and Mission 146 are one and the same.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MrV
MrV
July 11th, 2013 at 12:37:22 PM permalink
It shows he joined the board May 15, 2012.

When was he made a mod?
"What, me worry?"
Buzzard
Buzzard
July 11th, 2013 at 12:58:50 PM permalink
just a couple of months ago. When all the suspensions started
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 11th, 2013 at 1:05:22 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

He was made a mod shortly after he joined. Last summer.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
July 11th, 2013 at 1:06:55 PM permalink

Is this just a case of making the facts fit a conclusion?

Could it be that the suspensions have gone up because the civility of some people has gone down? Just sayin........
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 11th, 2013 at 1:06:58 PM permalink
Its all good.
I have never been suspended because I dont insult anybody.
I may make fun of somebody but never outright insult anybody.
If you wouldn't say it in person, then dont type it to the person.
If the Wiz deems somebody deserves a suspension, then its deserved period.
Its his web site, dont like it go elsewhere ar start your own forum website.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
July 11th, 2013 at 1:17:55 PM permalink
Are all of the suspensions completely justified? I think it could be argued that some suspensions have been a bit quick, but it is ridiculous that we should even need to have suspensions to begin with.
Why people feel the need to be so catty, snippy, ignorant, uncivil with other people in a faceless exchange is beyond me, and IIRC, we have a couple of threads dedicated to this exact subject.

With all due respect to those who have served a suspension, there are only 2 ways to get suspended from this forum;

1. Because you want to , perhaps to prove a point, or perhaps just because
2. By acting like an ass.

I should add a third which is because you got engaged in a heated exchange and lost your head and wrote some words that probably should not have been written. While I still think this is silly, I understand how it happens, and for those people, I hold no animosity.

I think Mike has made it pretty clear he holds the standards on his forum at a much higher level than is found on a typical forum. I for one appreciate and support this approach. It really boils down to Behave, or keep your trap shut, or it will be forced closed with a suspension.

Blaming suspensions on Mission is like blaming the cop for busting you for doing 90 mph in a 65 mph zone.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 11th, 2013 at 1:24:05 PM permalink

Anybody notice suspensions have gone up 10 fold since Mission 146 was deputized ??? Just saying !

Show us the proof!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 11th, 2013 at 1:26:52 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I think it could be argued that some suspensions have been a bit quick, but it is ridiculous that we should even need to have suspensions to begin with.

Do you remember mkl and Jerry Logan?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 11th, 2013 at 1:28:14 PM permalink

Then who, pray tell is Pavlov146? :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Buzzard
Buzzard
July 11th, 2013 at 1:29:44 PM permalink
Those two were only suspension in the year before Mission 146 assented to power. How many since then ? Just saying !

How long before we will be asked to move this thread to DT ?
Aahz
Aahz
  • Threads: 2
July 11th, 2013 at 1:37:43 PM permalink

Perhaps that's the very reason Wizard gave Mission the power in the first place. To do what needed to be done and Wiz didn't have the time/stomach for doin'.

Just sayin'.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 11th, 2013 at 1:46:29 PM permalink
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/14387-good-news/32/
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 11th, 2013 at 1:59:26 PM permalink

I've never seen them in the same place at once. Hm...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 11th, 2013 at 2:58:44 PM permalink
I was made an Administrator at some point in July of 2012, or it may have been August. I was a, "Secret Administrator," for a very short time, so I don't recall the exact day I became official.

Suspensions between 7/2012-7/2013 have approximately doubled compared to 7/2011-7/2012. At a glance, there have been about fifty posted Suspensions during the time I have been an Administrator, I almost never post a Ban that is purely for Spam, and in most cases, I don't post a Multiple Accounts ban, because it is usually caught quick and is effectively the same as Spam. For example, three people were banned for multiple accounts in the Revel promo thread, but they were all three the same person.

I would say that the majority of the increased Suspensions can be attributed to three factors:

1.) The Hot Blonde Challenge

-There was a significant number of Suspensions, at least five (and I think more) directly related to that thread or the challenge.

2.) AHigh

-AHigh has been Suspended himself on three separate occasions since I began to be an Administrator, and still others have been Suspended for things they have said to AHigh.

3.) Increased Administration

-The main thing not to forget in my role as Administrator is that I (eventually) read every thread. Previously, I was a hotel manager and had all kinds of downtime at work, now I am 100% off Mon-Thurs, I also check in the morning on Fri-Sun and am usually on for about an hour.

The Wizard simply doesn't have the time to read every single thread/post that gets posted here, or to come anywhere close. Michael Bluejay was an Administrator at the time I joined, but he wasn't as active as I am. It's really as simple as, if you have someone reading every thread, less stuff gets missed. Even then, I still miss something on occasion, on those threads where I do more skimming than actual reading.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
July 11th, 2013 at 3:20:28 PM permalink
I hvae been both suspended and warned by Mission, and honestly, I probably deserved a suspension both times for "personal attacks" being them major or minor. I feel he has done a good job.

the lastest Ahigh suspention, done by Wiz I might add, may have been a little quick on the trigger, but I am not the boss here. I feel most suspensions are warrented.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 11th, 2013 at 3:37:13 PM permalink

it is ridiculous that we should even need to have suspensions to begin with.

yeah, but, per recent complaint, see the blog section, the site has probably gotten a little further out there in the flaming dept. than most of us would really like
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
July 11th, 2013 at 6:11:07 PM permalink

it is ridiculous that we should even need to have suspensions to begin with.

Quote: odiousgambit

yeah, but, per recent complaint, see the blog section, the site has probably gotten a little further out there in the flaming dept. than most of us would really like

Since this is the second comment I think I need to better explain my position. I FULLY support the suspensions and rules on this board. It keeps it worth sticking around. What I was trying to say was I think it is silly that we need to have suspensions, but sadly, it is definitely a necessity.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
July 11th, 2013 at 7:51:03 PM permalink

He [mission] was hired to do the job.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
July 11th, 2013 at 7:58:37 PM permalink
For what it's worth; the reason I'm a member on this site and not others, is the fairly tight admin of the site. If i want to listen to a bunch of people insult each other I'll go to any middle school. If i want intelligent (mostly) discourse on gaming I come here. Too many web boards become immature pissing contests, not so here, again mostly. :) So I think Mission, the Wiz and JB do a great job. Keep up the good work.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
July 11th, 2013 at 8:40:09 PM permalink
Quote: vendman1

For what it's worth; the reason I'm a member on this site and not others, is the fairly tight admin of the site. If i want to listen to a bunch of people insult each other I'll go to any middle school. If i want intelligent (mostly) discourse on gaming I come here. Too many web boards become immature pissing contests, not so here, again mostly. :) So I think Mission, the Wiz and JB do a great job. Keep up the good work.

+1
terapined
terapined
July 12th, 2013 at 3:57:27 AM permalink

+1
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 12th, 2013 at 4:11:59 AM permalink

For what it's worth; the reason I'm a member on this site and not others, is the fairly tight admin of the site. If i want to listen to a bunch of people insult each other I'll go to any middle school. If i want intelligent (mostly) discourse on gaming I come here. Too many web boards become immature pissing contests, not so here, again mostly. :) So I think Mission, the Wiz and JB do a great job. Keep up the good work.[/q

+1

+3 (Including the other one above these). I've followed thread links to several other gaming/AP boards, and given each a good look while I was there. This is the only one worth returning to, at least so far. And worth much more than that, IMO. Thanks again, Wiz and admins.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mission146
Mission146
July 12th, 2013 at 5:28:40 AM permalink
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
7star4now
7star4now
  • Threads: 33
July 12th, 2013 at 5:50:05 AM permalink
As a new member, I would point out that Mission146 had a problem with my post, gave me a warning, but was overruled so my impression is that the crackdown is coming from the top

Quote: Mission146

Coming soon to a theater near you.

I encourage 7Stars4Now and BHappy to take this back and forth sniping to PM. Especially 7Stars, as it seems he created an account here for only this purpose.

Quote: Wizard

I didn't mean to overrule you, but I gave both three days before I saw you went with a warning. I suppose I could unban them, but I think three days each is warranted. Then again, I've been in a foul mood lately.

It amazes me that the internet, which was once hoped to become Nirvana for free speech, has become more politically correct & restrictive than the mainstream media.

For example, if you posted to someone on a message board:

"I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine.... you're no Jack Kennedy."

On PC message boards, that would be considered a "personal insult" & likely result in a ban or suspension.

In contrast, the mainstream media, so often criticized for being PC, embraced Lloyd Bentsen and gave him every possible forum after he uttered one of the most powerful remarks in the history of political debate.

Had the remark been made in a PC cyberspace forum, it would have been lost forever, since questioning someone's credentials, or motivation, is now considered a "personal insult" since most internet venues exist to sell some type of soap & cannot risk offending potential customers.
Mission146
Mission146
July 12th, 2013 at 5:57:32 AM permalink
I don't care if you tell someone that he/she is not Jack Kennedy.
7star4now
7star4now
July 12th, 2013 at 6:15:25 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I don't care if you tell someone that he/she is not Jack Kennedy.

Mission, I wasn't directing that to you personally.

Just pointing out, in general, that a PC atmosphere on message boards diminishes vetting of opinions via questioning of credentials, motivation, & conflicts of interests.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
July 12th, 2013 at 6:41:01 AM permalink
I don't think for a second that this message board is PC. We've had very lively discussions on many political and gambling issues, but the discussions pretty much stop when they get to a personal insult.

I've never called AZ an idiot. That would get me suspended as it's a personal insult. Calling a statement idiotic though is attacking the statement and is just fine. You just have to be careful in what you write. It also protects people from calling you names as well and allows people to attack your position rather than *you*. That's what free-spirited discussion should be about.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
terapined
terapined
July 12th, 2013 at 7:05:44 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I don't think for a second that this message board is PC. We've had very lively discussions on many political and gambling issues, but the discussions pretty much stop when they get to a personal insult.

I've never called AZ an idiot. That would get me suspended as it's a personal insult. Calling a statement idiotic though is attacking the statement and is just fine. You just have to be careful in what you write. It also protects people from calling you names as well and allows people to attack your position rather than *you*. That's what free-spirited discussion should be about.

+1
I completely agree. I've had interesting political discussions with AZ and Beethoven9th, its all in good fun and definitly not politically correct. We go after each others statements pretty ruthlessly but its all good and no suspensions.
7star4now
7star4now
July 12th, 2013 at 7:18:16 AM permalink
" That's what free-spirited discussion should be about."

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, however, the rest of the world need not be governed by your opinion.

If you think someone is lying on a in a mainstream media talk show, you can call in & call the person a liar, state why, & let the listeners decide. If you cannot do the same on a message board, which is more PC?
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
July 12th, 2013 at 7:55:59 AM permalink
Gotta agree with 7*. We recently had a spate of posts by a certain famous gaming author. The fawning and sucking up was more than I could handle. Cost me a three dayer. When you are privy to the other side of the story, the bovine feces is sometimes too much to handle.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
MrV
MrV
July 12th, 2013 at 7:56:24 AM permalink
You can post insults and abuse to your heart's content on at least one other unmoderated gambling board: heck, I do.

The rules are different here, and I support this board's moderation policy, at least when and if it is fairly implemented.

That of course is the "rub."

Those who are muzzled can always find a way to justify their trying to have taken a nip at someone.
"What, me worry?"
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
July 12th, 2013 at 7:59:04 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

You can post insults and abuse to your heart's content at at least other unmoderated gambling board: heck, I do.

Indeed sir, you are a legend!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
KB1
KB1
  • Threads: 3
July 12th, 2013 at 8:36:14 AM permalink
Suspensions occur when gentlemen transform into men.
Like I say to my employees we are all adults here and I believe we can work things out.
Be a smartellic and funny, not hurtful.Be sarcastic, off-the-wall, and a big dummy.
You don't have to be Politically Correct.

Remember I said I have been watching this board for 18 months, not typing a word, not even a member.

There is a reason that people can not properly communicate, they don't know how.

KB1
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 12th, 2013 at 1:10:03 PM permalink

boymimbo accentuates best the difference in PC v. moderation for me; dispute my stance or ideas as vigorously and colorfully as you like. However, if done in a patronizing, name-calling, or insulting way (implying I'm stupid or deficient somehow for having that viewpoint, for example), then you have gone beyond the intent of the board. It's easy to provoke a person by insulting them, relatively much more difficult to discredit or refute the argument on the merits without impuning the person; that's why folks so often confuse the two, or resort to the ad hominem attack. And I definitely include the perception of the originator to responses they get to something provocative they've said; once you advance an idea, you must read the responses carefully to ensure YOU have not read malice or insult towards you into a negative critique of your idea. Yet another weakness of written posts without aural/physical context. So that has to be the line in the sand for a moderator; critique v. personal attack. Sometimes that line is so thin it's microscopic. And so we stumble on... (ellipsis, lol).
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
boymimbo
boymimbo
July 12th, 2013 at 1:33:25 PM permalink
Radio and TV programs are out to get viewers. You can get away on radio and TV with calling people liars and other names. First, every call is carefully screened by a producer and is set up to frame the program in the way it wants to. Programs of both political stripes will take calls from the dumb / illiterate of the other side to prove a point (that the other side is dumb and illiterate). The hosts accept the libel because they usually can make the other side look dumb. As well, radio hosts will take hosts that call the other side liars and idiots too because then it's not the host's statement but they are getting their point across.

On this forum, I can call someone a liar if I can reasonably prove that he is indeed lying. There is actually no point in calling someone something anyway unless you have the goods to back you up. Just like I can call someone gay if they are indeed gay. That's why Ahigh got suspended for the fourth time: he called someone gay (and not the happy kind of gay) who wasn't (or hadn't come out) -- a personal insult (of a high magnitude here, according to the Wizard).

Mendelson and Ahigh have had this argument back and forth on whether they Mendelson actually saw Ahigh at Caesar's, with both sides calling each other liars -- there was no ban there because each side believed it was true and it was based on their claimed recollection of the experience.

Patronizing happens all of the time on this board and seems to be acceptable behaviour. You know that, don't you? ;)
7star4now
7star4now
July 12th, 2013 at 4:48:58 PM permalink

Radio and TV programs are out to get viewers.

Message boards are free content used by website owners to bring eyeballs to the screen.

The more eyeballs, the more potential clicks on the soap that the site sells.

Is there really a difference in the biz model or are website owners still a bit less sophisticated or less confident in their biz model?
boymimbo
boymimbo
July 12th, 2013 at 5:51:49 PM permalink
No. The Wizard has integrity, which is more than many can say about some radio and TV programs. This website is not really about controversy.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 12th, 2013 at 6:28:54 PM permalink
Quote: 7star4now

It amazes me that the internet, which was once hoped to become Nirvana for free speech, has become more politically correct & restrictive than the mainstream media.

But people are free to one pay for their own board.

There are places to say just about anything on the Internet. (4chan)

It's not about free speech.

It's about private property actually.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Buzzard
Buzzard
July 12th, 2013 at 9:26:27 PM permalink
Gee Mission 146 I never expected people to take me serious. DAMN !

Sorry
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 12th, 2013 at 11:15:07 PM permalink

No. The Wizard has integrity, which is more than many can say about some radio and TV programs. This website is not really about controversy.

Yes, the Wizard has great integrity, something more people should strive for. Although I bite my tongue slash hit the delete button on this forum more than some others I have posted to, this isn't a bad thing whatsoever. Flaming on the internet is virtually always unnecessary. People just often do it because they want to be noticed/dominant. In real life, if they do that, they possibly threaten themselves to getting their ass beat.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 12th, 2013 at 11:26:06 PM permalink

Sorry

Well yeah, this is the same thing that guy said who made the joke about witches in Salem way back when. Too late now!
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mission146
Mission146
July 13th, 2013 at 6:09:40 AM permalink

Sorry

It's cool, getting how people feel about Administration is a good conversation to have every now and then, anyway.
  • Jump to: