FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
April 3rd, 2013 at 7:10:14 AM permalink
(Somewhat tongue in cheek.)

Do people who were picked on when they were in elementary school, junior high school and high school because they were smart and/or nerds and/or maybe a little eccentric become like the very bullies who used to pick on them once they grow up and become successful?

I think a case can be made for that.

I am not a mathematician; never claimed to be. But some of my posts have caused those who are good or great at math to attack me because I am not a mathematician. I was ganged up on, much as (I am assuming) they were ganged up on by the cool kids (who are probably now toothless and working in car washes), the athletes (who now have large beer bellies), the "heads" (who are now in rehab or dead), the tough kids (who are now in prison), and other groups (I am forgetting some of the groups at this stage in my life).

If an expert in math and his/her cohorts enjoy pushing me around, teasing me, attacking me relentlessly, because I am not in their league when it comes to 1 + 1 = 2, what makes them different from the athletes who laughed at them in gym; the cool kids who laughed at them in the hallways; the tough kids who laughed at them outside of the school; and the girls who rolled their eyes when these guys walked by or the guys who roared with laughter when the girl with the braces strolled down the hallway?

Is bullying just waiting for us at given stages in our life? Are the spry seniors in the old age home pointing fingers at the ones confined to wheelchairs and laughing at them as they drool?

It seems to me life would be a lot better if as Rodney King said before he pummeled his girlfriend into unconciousness because he was drunk out of his mind: "Can't we all just get along?"
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 3rd, 2013 at 7:28:27 AM permalink
Somewhat. Nerds will bully more on the internet as well because "hey, it's the internet, you can't beat the crap out of me!" I would say a handful of members of the forum have this problem. And many more on this forum hold math and randomness in very high esteem. So if anyone tries to suggest that something can happen that "defies" what is mathematically expected, they will have to convince them beyond any doubt. This will be nearly impossible unless they have the data and "the math" to back it up. It's definitely not worth the effort, imo.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
April 3rd, 2013 at 7:30:28 AM permalink
Everyone has something to prove. Those that were laughed at, teased , shunned or simply ignored because they were weird, or too nerdy or smart, feel a need, an obligation to prove their worth later in life. The world around them are ignorant, yet these people think they're just as smart and use position of power to influence. The nerds mustt live in this world where their ideas are considered obserd, even when they're right, and must do everything to convince others, even when it comes across as arrogant or even bullying.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
April 3rd, 2013 at 7:35:33 AM permalink
Sometimes they do become bullies. Sometimes they make it through school without an inferiority complex. And then, some become both bullies and atheists.

Often times, people that were bullied or unfairly singled out in either middle school or high school by someone in authority or by other students will claim to be an atheist as a way to show defiance towards society, towards the people that they feel have "wronged" them, and sometimes, even God. It's should be of no surprise, that many of these people are autistic as well.

-Keyser
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
April 3rd, 2013 at 8:32:14 AM permalink
I don't ever recall the Wizard, MathExtremist, miplet, teliot, or CRMousseau ridiculing anyone for their lack of math knowledge. I also don't look down on anyone because it takes all types to make this world go round.
I heart Crystal Math.
Keyser
Keyser
April 3rd, 2013 at 8:40:49 AM permalink
Wow CrystalMath,

Did you just call Wizard, MathExtremist, miplet, teliot, or CRMousseau all nerds?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
April 3rd, 2013 at 8:54:51 AM permalink
I would say, "NO". Resoundingly.

Responding rudely to someone in a forum is not the same as bullying. And it's not the same as cyberbullying, either.

Did any of these "nerds" track you down on facebook and taunt you?
Did any of them actively search you out and try to make your life hell?
Did any of them wait outside your house or place of business and physically attack or threaten you?
Did 4 dozen pizzas show up at your house? Did your email get hacked? Your Twitter, or anything else, by any of these "nerds"?

You got into some disagreements with forum members. You brought with you a subject that you knew would be unpopular here, and then cried FOUL! when it was treated as such. And now you cry bullying? Sorry. I am not convinced.

Now, I haven't much of any of those discussions. Honestly, the arguments don't interest me. I looked at it, decided that dice control is sort of the opposite of a balancing act, and made up my mind. However, it seems to me that everyone has pretty much confined their arguments to text. And text is easy to deal with; you ignore it. Like this: >CLICK<! And it is gone from your life.

I enjoy reading what you write, when I read it. You have a nice, friendly style that makes me think that it would be a blast to play alongside you. With that in mind, I think your tongue is more than a little in your cheek here. You don't seem like the type who would be easily put out by rude words on the internet... but you DO seem like the type who would try to slyly make something seem like something it is not, and then sit back and watch the reaction. Which I appreciate, by the way.
A falling knife has no handle.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
April 3rd, 2013 at 8:55:19 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Wow CrystalMath,

Did you just call Wizard, MathExtremist, miplet, teliot, or CRMousseau all nerds?

Haha. The original post started out talking about nerds, but then became a discussion about experts in mathematics. I am calling these guys experts in mathematics.
I heart Crystal Math.
Keyser
Keyser
April 3rd, 2013 at 9:04:33 AM permalink
I feel that it's important that all of us nerds wield our nerd like super powers with great care, and compassion. With great power comes great responsibility. This is a message that I hope to continue spreading when I attend ComiCon next week. Otherwise, someone might lose an eye. By the way, some of us can be math guys without being a nerd. (It's just rare).
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
April 3rd, 2013 at 9:08:42 AM permalink
If there weren't so many stupid people in this world, I wouldn't be able to get by as a lazy smart person. So I'm thankful for them. Random thought on this topic during lunch.

On topic, I have a little bit of a superiority complex but I'm very rarely an asshole to morons. I just heavily judge them in my mind. Any reasonable person is going to accept that there are less intelligent people out there, but I believe anger is only justified if the person receiving knowledge refuses to accept a known scientific fact. Like around here... Random is random is random... Unless someone cheats. A lot of people, even the simple minded fellows among us, completely skip the sharing knowledge stage and go straight to anger because they mix up common sense and acquired knowledge. I haven't seen what situations you've run into, but my best guess is that's your situation.

Then again, assholes are going to be assholes.

As a side note, this was written with a dash of sarcasm.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Keyser
Keyser
April 3rd, 2013 at 9:16:09 AM permalink
Look the facts are, without simple minded people, we would have no minions.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
April 3rd, 2013 at 9:25:34 AM permalink
Tongue in cheek, yes.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 3rd, 2013 at 9:35:32 AM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

I am not a mathematician; never claimed to be. But some of my posts have caused those who are good or great at math to attack me because I am not a mathematician...If an expert in math and his/her cohorts enjoy pushing me around, teasing me, attacking me relentlessly, because I am not in their league when it comes to 1 + 1 = 2, what makes them different from the athletes who laughed at them in gym

You confuse "criticism" with "bullying," I think.

A critic focuses primarily upon an idea; a bully focuses mainly on an individual.

Yes, they DO overlap, and strong criticism can easily be interpreted as bullying.
"What, me worry?"
TropicalElectri
TropicalElectri
  • Threads: 4
April 3rd, 2013 at 10:20:35 AM permalink
My experience is that the kids I picked on in High school grow up to be:
The building inspector checking on my work,
The VA clerk going over my Dads application for nursing home benefits,
The driver license agent renewing my license,
The tech support person for the cable company,
The kids who designed my computer interface.

All tongue in check!
One Day at a Time
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
April 3rd, 2013 at 10:38:36 AM permalink
And of course if you as a bully if he is a bully he will say "Not me! I'm just having some fun."
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 3rd, 2013 at 1:28:21 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

You confuse "criticism" with "bullying," I think.

I agree. I see very little real bullying on forums, and what
little there is doesn't last long before the person is dealt
with. Some people have strong opinions and that's seen
as bullying by people who aren't used to anyone disagreeing
with them.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
April 3rd, 2013 at 3:59:55 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I don't ever recall the Wizard, MathExtremist, miplet, teliot, or CRMousseau ridiculing anyone for their lack of math knowledge. I also don't look down on anyone because it takes all types to make this world go round.

Wooooooot! I made the list!
Yep. I was picked on in school. Who cares?
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
April 18th, 2013 at 9:40:49 AM permalink
I didnt witness the gangup on you. But I graduated physics. I quit all run and bike clubs and races and martial arts for bulling. But when I was in college I rarely had a problem. Except from a military child who wanted to be an engineer. My experience is that most bullies have athletic backgrounds.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
  • Jump to: