Thread Rating:

scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 7th, 2012 at 11:35:46 PM permalink
I have now lost 2 posts by accidentally hitting an area near my keypad???????? It is obviously a cancel ...tell me please what I am doing wrong?

Sorry if I didn't read/know about enter or shift or delete????? as a cancel option.

Thx in advance.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
July 7th, 2012 at 11:52:23 PM permalink
People who abbreviate thanks make me laugh. My old boss used to do that. Couldn't show his appreciation enough by writing 3 more letters...
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
July 8th, 2012 at 3:23:33 AM permalink
What happened to the posts when you accidentally hit that area? If the stuff that you had typed went away, in Windows you can usually make it come back with Ctrl+Z. If you're running Firefox and the tab you were typing in closed, you can bring that back with Undo Close Tab, which (at least since Firefox 10) should include whatever you typed.

Or, when you say "keypad", do you mean that you are trying to post on your phone?
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 8th, 2012 at 3:52:53 AM permalink
Need more info about what happens. Text disappears? The browser tab you're in goes away? You go back to the previous page?

I've tried several times to replicate the issue and can't do it. All I can do is make the cursor jump to new positions. If you were to hit 'Tab' three times while typing in the text area then hit 'Enter' that would cancel your post, but I think you'd know if that were happening.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 8th, 2012 at 6:04:24 AM permalink
My mouse has forward and back buttons by the thumb. Usually, they're handy. But sometimes I accidentally hit "back" before I'm done posting. Do you happen to have a mouse like mine?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 8th, 2012 at 6:23:06 AM permalink
Sometimes I delete stuff when I'm using my laptop, when the lower part of my hand hits the the keyboard. (I think it's a design flaw myself, but whatever it was a budget laptop, so can't complain too much)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
scire
scire
July 8th, 2012 at 12:21:08 PM permalink
I tried replicating also. I also did page back to no avail. it was gone. i most likely hit enter....was tired may have hit tab but three times I doubt it. I am a double finger typist though -so my hands stray.

Since it happened twice....is puzzling. I thought I might have been deleted by administration ?? Because I often type stuff I don't even like and I won't post - choosing rather to cancel. I don't think I was going to post what I was pondering over late last night in afterthought. I certainly hope last night's pondering isn't floating around in "cyberspace" only to surface without my actually posting it.?

Can anyone tell me (including administration) if administration can see what I am typing BEFORE I hit cancel or post? just would like to know. I'm far from being computer saavy.

Thanks for the help.

(& Thanks FINSRUL. Bosses often are so busy watching over their business and their employees..... they do take insignificant shortcuts such as "THX" at the end of a message to someone they employ.)

(It is a fast paced world we live in. Thankfully, I am no longer part of the rat race---retired.)
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 8th, 2012 at 3:23:49 PM permalink
Quote: scire

Can anyone tell me (including administration) if administration can see what I am typing BEFORE I hit cancel or post? just would like to know. I'm far from being computer saavy.

Could it be set up that way? Probably using AJAX, but so highly doubtful that I think you can probably disregard the idea. Among other things it would assume that JB or the Wiz has the time or inclination to be that sort of voyeur. it's certainly not the standard way that web applications work.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
July 8th, 2012 at 4:27:25 PM permalink
Nothing is saved as you are typing. Some forums do that intentionally, periodically saving your post as a "draft" in case your power goes out, but this forum does not. It doesn't save whatever you submit for preview, either. Posts are only saved when you click the Post button.

If you're typing a long post, you may want to keep Notepad open and periodically copy the contents of your post to Notepad to have as a temporary backup.

I did just think of something about your numeric keypad though: if you don't have Num Lock on, and then hold down Alt and press numpad-4 (left arrow), it is the same as hitting your browser's back button. Could that be what happened?
scire
scire
July 8th, 2012 at 4:42:37 PM permalink
Possible. Thank you for addressing ... It is forgotten. Will be more careful (I know my number lock was on though = it is always on). ??
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 8th, 2012 at 7:50:41 PM permalink
Touchpads on notebooks can be a PITA when typing, Stuff happens when accidently touched or grazed with finger. Netbooks, mini-books, chromebooks, etc, are worse.
One problem is that the touchpad might not disconnect when using a mouse. Theres a setting for that somewhere in most Windows lappys/books.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
July 9th, 2012 at 12:47:59 AM permalink
Quote: JB

If you're typing a long post, you may want to keep Notepad open and periodically copy the contents of your post to Notepad to have as a temporary backup.

Have to add: Easier to just type the post in notepad and paste it into the forum window when you're done.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 9th, 2012 at 9:54:12 AM permalink
It happens to me if I accidentally hit ESC. Right clicking the mouse and using UNDO brings it back (Internet Explorer).
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
scire
scire
July 9th, 2012 at 10:40:45 AM permalink
It just happened to me again 5 minutes ago. No way I hit my ESC.

Thanks for the input.
  • Jump to: