March 11th, 2019 at 3:17:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Big problem with year round DST
is we would then be out of sync
with the 70 countries that are on
DST with us. They would always
be switching their time and we
wouldn't.

There is a YT video out there on time zones. All kinds of differences. Some countries are on half hours. It doesn't matter.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 11th, 2019 at 4:35:03 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

We need year-round DST. I'd rather it be dark in the morning than dark at freaking 5:30 in the afternoon.

If that makes it "too dark" to go to school in the morning, then have winter school hours. Problem solved.

EDIT: Or we could just compromise. Set the clocks ahead 30 minutes and leave it forever.

Trump tweeted approval of it. I'll be on board. I hate when the sun comes up early. If sunrise is 8am, I won't mind.

Quote: EvenBob

Indiana only recently switched to DST. I went
there almost weekly in the 90's, what
a pain it was dealing with a different
time zone in a state that borders mine.

I believe it was the Amish that kept it
on standard time forever. What a pain
they are to deal with, but that's a
different topic.

Indiana did it with the belief that it would conserve electricity. Nah it went up 1%. More AC usage at home in the evenings.

Quote: AZDuffman

I thought IN had a weird thing where half the state switched and half did not? IIRC it straddles a time zone, made part of an episode of The Left Wing and Josh gets mad at them because he didn't know about it. When I drove cross-country to AZ I do not even remember seeing a time zone change sign on the highway.

BTW, that does not seem like much, but when you drive east to west it really helps you make time having those extra hours.

Yes, NW Indiana has followed Chicagoland time for decades even when the rest of the state didn't use DST.

Quote: AZDuffman

There is a YT video out there on time zones. All kinds of differences. Some countries are on half hours. It doesn't matter.

The soon to be most populous country in the world is on the half hour.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
March 11th, 2019 at 6:00:54 PM permalink

It's mostly just North America and Europe, and a handful of other random countries.

If the U.S. went all in on either DST or standard, it would probably be a matter of only a couple of years before the EU and the handful of others followed suit. Or vice versa.

Just like the metric system.....
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 11th, 2019 at 7:21:36 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

It's mostly just North America and Europe, and a handful of other random countries.

If the U.S. went all in on either DST or standard, it would probably be a matter of only a couple of years before the EU and the handful of others followed suit. Or vice versa.

Just like the metric system.....

That's the opposite. We didn't accept their idea. They do often accept ours.

The metric system is one of the many things I wish Jimmy Carter would have done better with.
  • Jump to: