JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
February 8th, 2012 at 5:34:33 PM permalink
Putting this into its own topic:

Quote: JohnnyQ

Quote: DJTeddyBear

Nope.

After the "Nipple seen 'round the world," they have been going with acts that are generally safe.

It was something of a shock to me that they chose Madonna, particularly considering her history of being cutting edge / racy.

It's all listed here: http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/entertainment

2004 - Janet & Justin
2005 - Paul McCartney (can you get any more safe than Sir Paul?)
2006 - Rolling Stones
2007 - Prince
2008 - Tom Petty
2009 - Bruce Springsteen
2010 - The Who
2011 - Black Eyed Peas (halftime is starting to get over the nipple)
2012 - Madonna (and the world is focused on her fishnets...)

So, if we could pick the entertainment for next year, who
would it be ? Off the top of my head:

- Elton John ?
- Aerosmith ?

Maybe the answer depends if we are picking a performer
for ourselves, or put ourselves in the shoes of the NFL.
I think their perspective might to get a young and hip act,
to try to draw in the younger TV crowd. IE:

- Katy Perry

To me, Gaga is maybe a little too over the top for this
audience.

There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 8th, 2012 at 5:47:59 PM permalink
Any of the following, in no particular order:

Shakira

Pat Benatar

Olivia Newton-John

Bonnie Tyler

Heart

The Go-Gos

The Bangles

Katy Perry

Adele
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 8th, 2012 at 6:05:59 PM permalink
The 2013 Superbowl is scheduled for New Orleans. My first choice would be to cut the Superbowl halftime from half an hour to the regular 12 minutes, and let the Grambling State University Marching Band provide the entertainment.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 8th, 2012 at 6:48:19 PM permalink
I like most of the groups Nareed mentioned, but for
broad appeal I think I would "second" the nomination
for Pat Benatar.

I think there would have to be another act paired
up with her, though.

I also think ADELE is a very logical choice that would
appeal to a wide range of people.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 8th, 2012 at 6:51:23 PM permalink
No matter who it is I would set the following guidelines if I were recruiting talent:

1. Should be more of a crowning event to a career, so nobody who has come on the scene less than 20-25 years ago. Sorry, Lady GaGa fans, you have to wait until 2030.

2. Should be an act that had a hit record on the "general" chart. Means no rap, no hip-hop, nothing that won't appeal to at least the plaurality of the audience.

3. Should have lasting appeal. "The Who" still packs em in 35-40 years later. Vanilla Ice not so much.

4. Needs to be an act that based itself on touring, not living off record royalties.

And I think I have a winner for 2013----"The Charlie Daniels Band!"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 8th, 2012 at 7:44:30 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

No matter who it is I would set the following guidelines if I were recruiting talent:

1. Should be more of a crowning event to a career, so nobody who has come on the scene less than 20-25 years ago. Sorry, Lady GaGa fans, you have to wait until 2030.

2. Should be an act that had a hit record on the "general" chart. Means no rap, no hip-hop, nothing that won't appeal to at least the plaurality of the audience.

3. Should have lasting appeal. "The Who" still packs em in 35-40 years later. Vanilla Ice not so much.

4. Needs to be an act that based itself on touring, not living off record royalties.

And I think I have a winner for 2013----"The Charlie Daniels Band!"

I think you'll find rap / hip-hop has had hits on the general charts... Puff Daddy and Jay-Z have had huge hit albums, as has Kanye West. I have no idea about mass appeal, but its as main stream these days as Madonna.

Not that I'd like to see them play the Superbowl.

If I had a choice, it'd be the Foo Fighters if I was going to meet your guidelines (which I broadly agree with, though I'd say 10-15 years for the lower end) more or less. In fact I can't even think of an answer where I'm thinking of bands I really like that aren't really very well known and are more obscure. The more electronica acts wouldn't be fun enough, the indie bands too low key to kick it in a stadium.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
February 8th, 2012 at 7:49:29 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I like most of the groups Nareed mentioned, but for
broad appeal I think I would "second" the nomination
for Pat Benatar.

I would love to hear her sing a full version of "We Belong," but that wouldn't fly at the big game. More likely she'd do a medley of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," "Heartbreaker," "Love is a Battlefield" and "Hell is For Children" (though how does a song about child abuse fit into festivities is anyone's guess).
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 8th, 2012 at 8:00:12 PM permalink
I think a good choice would be Fleetwood Mac.

Be great if they played a set of their stuff through the years, such as "Coming Your Way," "Hypnotized," and "Rhiannon."

hynotized
"What, me worry?"
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
February 8th, 2012 at 8:08:10 PM permalink
Toni Braxton
jpprovance
jpprovance
  • Threads: 22
February 8th, 2012 at 8:09:54 PM permalink

me...yes

most people... umm
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 8th, 2012 at 8:09:57 PM permalink
Lady GaGa.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
February 8th, 2012 at 9:32:00 PM permalink
Motor Head or Steely Dan.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 8th, 2012 at 9:37:51 PM permalink
I'd take Lady Gaga as well for new band, and the Eagles for old time rock and roll.

My Canadian choice of course would be Rush followed by Neil Young. Shania Twain I believe did the 2003 bowl. Seeing Rush do a set with Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Fly By Night, and some YYZ would rip the house down. Actual talent by an actual band.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 8th, 2012 at 9:52:14 PM permalink
I actually like Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam மாதங்கி 'மாயா' அருள்பிரகாசம் a lot. I'm sorry that she got carried away at the Super Bowl. She's much more brilliant than her gesture.

Bucky Done Gone
Nareed
Nareed
February 9th, 2012 at 7:01:53 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I'd take Lady Gaga as well for new band, and the Eagles for old time rock and roll.

Do the Eagles have more than the one song? Granted it's a great song, poetically speaking, making great use of imagery and metaphor. But it's just one.

Quote:

Seeing Rush do a set with Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Fly By Night, and some YYZ would rip the house down. Actual talent by an actual band.

"Spirit" and "Fly By Night" aren't well-known enough. My guess would be "Limelight," "Tom Sawyer" and "Closer to the Heart."

Too bad about "Spirit of the Radio":

"Up on your way
Hit the open road
There is magic at your fingers
For the spirit ever lingers
Undemanding contact
In your happy solitude."
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 9th, 2012 at 7:34:25 AM permalink
Well, the Eagles have won 6 Grammys, may be producing another studio album and have already been inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame. They are a country-rock band, with the following hits (top 10 singles):

#1 1979 "Heartache Tonight"
#8 1980 "I Can't Tell You Why"
#7 1980 "The Long Run"
#1 1977 "New Kid In Town"
#1 1977 "Hotel California"
#1 1975 "One of These Nights"
#2 1975 "Lyin' Eyes"
#1 1975 "Best Of My Love"
#9 1972 "Witchy Woman"

Their last studio album "Long Road out of Eden" in 2007 went 7x Platinum and won 2 Grammys, so they are still quite popular.

They are still together and will likely produce another studio album.

It'd be a mellow half time show but I'd love to see them.
Nareed
Nareed
February 9th, 2012 at 7:44:13 AM permalink

Well, the Eagles have won 6 Grammys, may be producing another studio album and have already been inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame. They are a country-rock band, with the following hits (top 10 singles):

That's very nice. But I've still heard just the one song.
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 9th, 2012 at 7:46:14 AM permalink
Full list of SuperBowl modern day performances:

Before 1991, SuperBowls featured marching bands.

Then, there was the theme age where the whole field was used for grand messaging:
1991 - New Kids on the Block
1992 - Gloria Estefan
1993 - Michael Jackson
1994 - Clint Black, The Judds, Travis Tritt, the Tuckers
1995 - Patti Labelle, Tony Bennett, Miami Sound Machine
1996 - Diana Ross
1997 - Blues Brothers, ZZ Top, James Brown
1998 - Boys to Men, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Temptations, Queen Latifah, Grambling Marching Band (a old time favorite)
1999 - Chaka Khan, Gloria Estefan, Stevie Wonder, Kiss...
2000 - Phil Collins, Christine Aguilera, AeroSmith, 'NSync, Brittany, Mary J Blige, Nelly
2001 - nSync, Aerosmith
2002 - U2

After this, it just became concerts:
2003 - Shania Twain
2004 - The Nipple
2005 - McCartney
2006 - Stones
2007 - Prince
2008 - Tom Petty
2009 - Springsteen
2010 - The Who
2011 - Black Eyed Peas
2012 - Madonna

So, I think the Eagles would fit in quite nicely.
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 9th, 2012 at 7:47:54 AM permalink
If I had a choice to take a bunch of Madonna's albums to a desert island vs the Eagles, I'd take the Eagles in a heartbeat. I'd only take the real Madonna with me if it came with a tub of bactine.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 9th, 2012 at 8:08:11 AM permalink
The B-52s

Maybe not for New Orleans but if they have the SB in Georgia, sure!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 9th, 2012 at 8:10:38 AM permalink
OK, I'm still not sure...which one of the Eagles' #1s is Nareed's "one song?" Hotel California?

Am i the only person shuddering at the n'sync/Aerosmith combo? How did I miss that???

I'd like Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benatar, or Heart. Rush would be awesome, so would Foo Fighters. Van Halen puts on a good stadium show, so does Guns N Roses.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
MrV
MrV
February 9th, 2012 at 8:54:53 AM permalink

If I had a choice to take a bunch of Madonna's albums to a desert island vs the Eagles, I'd take the Eagles in a heartbeat. I'd only take the real Madonna with me if it came with a tub of bactine.

OK, so you prefer the music of the Eagles to Madonna: point noted.

She sold 300 million albums to their 120 million, so it would seem that you are in the minority.
"What, me worry?"
Nareed
Nareed
February 9th, 2012 at 8:59:11 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

OK, I'm still not sure...which one of the Eagles' #1s is Nareed's "one song?" Hotel California?

I've never heard any other song by them.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 9th, 2012 at 9:17:00 AM permalink
If it was up to me, I would do what pretty much every other country does for its "championship football game" halftime entertainment: none. (Of course, in soccer and rugby, there usually isn't enough time for halftime entertainment.)

Here's a thought: have the passing round of the national Punt Pass & Kick (they still have that, right?) competition during halftime (CBS used to do this every now and then during the regular season; each local competition is assigned to a particular team, and the winners eventually advance to that team's finals, usually held before a home game for punting and kicking and at halftime for passing). At that level, you get some real long bombers at the older ages.

(Australia's championship game in Australian Rules Football has a competition among its players to determine the fastest player in the league (based on 100m or so); the final race is held at halftime of the championship game. The only time I remember there being a "halftime show" was in 1988 (most of the entertainment is in the hour before the game starts), when they did something for Australia's Bicentennial, and it was a "group show" more than a concert for any particular singer.)

Of course, this is out of the question, as the Super Bowl is as much about ratings as it is about football, so the network broadcasting it would demand a "name" for halftime. At least they don't demand that it be somebody associated with one of the network's TV series...yet. (I find it highly coincidental that the last two Super Bowl's singers of "America, the Beautiful" were Lea Michele from Glee and Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert from The Voice.)
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 9th, 2012 at 9:29:38 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

OK, so you prefer the music of the Eagles to Madonna: point noted.

She sold 300 million albums to their 120 million, so it would seem that you are in the minority.

Worldwide, yes. In the United States, however, the Eagles is only behind Zeppelin and the Beatles in total album sales all time.

Madonna's total record sales in the United States is about edited out[41] 71 million. The Eagles is at well over 100 million.

The Eagle's Greatest hits album sold 29 million copies in the United States alone (46 million copies worldwide, #6). Only Thriller sold more copies (in the United States)
Hotel California is the 19th best selling album of all time with 16 million copies sold.
The Eagles Greatest hits album Volume 2 sold 11 million copies in the United States.

Madonna's top two selling albums (Sire, the Immaculate Collection) both sold 10 million copies each in the United States.

So, in the United States, I am not in the minority, at all.
MrV
MrV
February 9th, 2012 at 9:53:54 AM permalink

Madonna's total record sales in the United States is about 41 million.

Try 64 million.

Both have passed their nadir.

FWIW, if you like the Eagles, you can catch them this April at MGM in Las Vegas.
"What, me worry?"
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 9th, 2012 at 10:03:13 AM permalink
I'll try 71 million. Original comment edited. Thanks.

I saw the Eagles in concert a very long time ago.
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
February 9th, 2012 at 10:46:26 AM permalink
Maybe the Wizard would want to get a pool started with a deadline within the next few weeks. I would put my money down on Kid Rock getting the nod. He is pretty well accepted in Rap, rock & country.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
February 9th, 2012 at 10:57:01 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I've never heard any other song by them.

Really? How have you avoided Heartache Tonight and Witchy Woman? Is there some secret method that I can use? I wish to avoid Ke$ha...teach me! :-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
February 9th, 2012 at 11:06:00 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Really? How have you avoided Heartache Tonight and Witchy Woman?

They dont' even sound remotely familiar. Although I think in a Seinfeld ep Elaine made some big deal about a "Witchy Woman" song her boyfriend liked to hear.

Quote:

Is there some secret method that I can use? I wish to avoid Ke$ha...teach me! :-)

Who? Is that even a real name?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
February 9th, 2012 at 11:13:16 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Who? Is that even a real name?

Sadly, yes.

she's hot and dangerous. She's got glitter on her eyes, stockings ripped all up the side. (these are lyrics)

I MFing hate Ke$ha, but her music is like crack. And teenaged girls like her, so she's quite unavoidable.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
February 9th, 2012 at 1:04:15 PM permalink
Bon Jovi
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
jdd817
jdd817
  • Threads: 0
February 9th, 2012 at 2:16:07 PM permalink
I would love to see Ozzy, with or without Black Sabbath, but I have a feeling the potential for him to slip and drop the f-bomb and/or moon the crowd on national television is a bit too high for the NFL's liking.

Someone mentioned G&R, but lets face it, the original band isn't getting back together, and Axl + a few other guys is NOT G&R. I'd say Van Halen is a pretty good bet considering that they're about to put out a new album.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 9th, 2012 at 2:35:10 PM permalink

The Eagle's Greatest hits album sold 29 million copies in the United States alone (46 million copies worldwide, #6). Only Thriller sold more copies (in the United States)

Did "Thriller" sell more? Reason I ask is once at work we had one of those "Trivia a Day" calenders and it said "The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-1975" was the top all-time seller. Most of us agreed as we all seemed to own a copy, but one guy got upset and said that a greatest-hits collection isn't an "album" and claimed a flawed question.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 9th, 2012 at 6:41:17 PM permalink
Re-capping:

I'd take a pass on the Eagles. Ditto for the beachboys.

The B-52's would be cool, but probably not known
well enough.

Fleetwood Mac makes sense.

I think a good one might also be a combination
of the piano men, Billy Joel AND Elton John.

And how about TOM JONES. Everyone loves
Tom Jones ! Maybe toss in Rod Stewart
as a special guest ?
  • Jump to: