HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
May 16th, 2011 at 4:26:30 PM permalink
I have to say that I think that the names that they come up with for horses are pretty interesting, to say the least. How do they come up with some of these, lol? I guess there's really no guidelines for naming them, it seems like there are no rules (although I'm not sure if there are every any that are sexually explicit).

Someone told me a name of a horse the other day and I'm hoping I can remember what it was and share it here. It didn't even seem to be a name, but a whole sentence, lol!

What names do you know of that interesting? I'd like to get a good laugh.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
May 16th, 2011 at 4:27:30 PM permalink
My favourite of all time: Hoof Hearted. (say it 5 times fast and you'll get it...)
Happiness is underrated
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
May 16th, 2011 at 4:27:57 PM permalink
Quote: TheNightfly

My favourite of all time: Hoof Hearted. (say it 5 times fast and you'll get it...)

Ahahahaha!
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 16th, 2011 at 4:41:22 PM permalink
In the UK, it used to be that the a pedigree flat race horse had to be named after something related to the parents. National Hunt racing (over the jumps), which I much prefered to watch and bet on, that wasn't so true. However for example, Kauto Star : Sire - Village Star, Dam - Kauto Relka; Red Rum : Sire - Quorum, Dam - Mared and so on.

(Yeah i looked it up, my knowledge of horse racing isn't such that I can recall the parentage of a bunch of famous horses that won or lost me money :))

A few of the top horses in that class have been much more of a mongrel pedigree and come out of farms and stables as working horses or people's private animals that turn out to be good for racing. Point to point races seem to be the way some of the younger horses come through in the steeplechases. Steeple chasers aren't really running until 4-5 years old.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 16th, 2011 at 4:52:38 PM permalink
I remember names from cartoons. In The Simpsons Homer wanted to bet on a "sure thing" ona horse (or dog? I can't quite recall) named "She's The Fastest."

I think in Futurama there was a horse called "Always Comes in Last." And the Centaur race was won by "Steve" :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
May 16th, 2011 at 4:57:37 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

I have to say that I think that the names that they come up with for horses are pretty interesting, to say the least. How do they come up with some of these, lol? I guess there's really no guidelines for naming them, it seems like there are no rules (although I'm not sure if there are every any that are sexually explicit).

Someone told me a name of a horse the other day and I'm hoping I can remember what it was and share it here. It didn't even seem to be a name, but a whole sentence, lol!

What names do you know of that interesting? I'd like to get a good laugh.

Some rules include no names that have ever been registered before in the Country of birth (there have been a LOT of Horses through the years!) and no INTENTIONALLY misleading names (Secretariat with an extra T or one letter different) and nothing profane (it would not be approved, much like license plates).

Some names that have had great race calls you can youtube:

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0RSHFoRbiE
"OhNoIt'sMyMotherInLaw"
"DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo"
and there was the race at Monmouth last year where "My Wife Knows Everything" and "The Wife Doesn't Know" battled it out in the stretch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQRlZw4Rad0
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
May 16th, 2011 at 5:35:41 PM permalink
There was a horse about 15-20 years ago on the So.Cal circuit named "Wrecked 'em"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 16th, 2011 at 5:40:26 PM permalink
The Jockey Club maintains the, "American Stud Book". It provides pedigree and ID info on every Thoroughbred in North America. More than 30,000 horses are registered annually. 445,000 names are already in use.

Here is an excerpt from their rules for naming:

The following classes of names are not eligible for use:
1. Names consisting of more than 18 letters (spaces and punctuation marks count as letters);
2. Names consisting entirely of initials such as C.O.D., F.O.B., etc.;
3. Names ending in "filly," "colt," "stud," "mare," "stallion," or any similar horse-related term;
4. Names consisting entirely of numbers. Numbers above thirty may be used if they are spelled out;
5. Names ending with a numerical designation such as "2nd" or "3rd," whether or not such a designation is spelled out;
6. Names of living persons unless written permission to use their name is on file with The Jockey Club;
7. Names of persons no longer living unless approval is granted by The Jockey Club based upon a satisfactory written explanation submitted to the Registrar;
8. Names of racetracks or graded stakes races;
9. Names clearly having commercial, artistic or creative significance;
10. Names that are suggestive or have a vulgar or obscene meaning; names considered in poor taste; or names that may be offensive to religious, political or ethnic groups;
11. Names that appear to be designed to harass, humiliate or disparage a specific individual, group of individuals or entity;
12. Names that are currently active either in racing or breeding (see Rule6(E));
13. Names of winners in the past 25 years of grade one stakes races;
14. Permanent names. The list of criteria to establish a permanent name is as follows:
a. Horses in racing's Hall of Fame;
b. Horses that have been voted Horse of the Year;
c. Horses that have won an Eclipse Award;
d. Horses that have won a Sovereign Award (Canadian Champions);
e. Annual leading sire and broodmare sire by progeny earnings;
f. Cumulative money winners of $2 million or more;
g. Horses that have won the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont Stakes, The Jockey Club Gold Cup, the Breeders' Cup Classic or the Breeders' Cup Turf; and
h. Horses included in the International List of Protected Names.
15. Names similar in spelling or pronunciation to the classes of names listed in Rule 6(F) 6 - 14 above.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 17th, 2011 at 2:18:57 AM permalink
Quote: cclub79

and there was the race at Monmouth last year where "My Wife Knows Everything" and "The Wife Doesn't Know" battled it out in the stretch.

Thanks for that one!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 17th, 2011 at 11:24:18 AM permalink
Classic horse name video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVMY-VX7NyA
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 17th, 2011 at 12:15:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The following classes of names are not eligible for use:
1. Names consisting of more than 18 letters (spaces and punctuation marks count as letters);

How did they get "My Wife Knows Everything" passed?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 17th, 2011 at 12:24:49 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

How did they get "My Wife Knows Everything" passed?

The names are actually: "Mywifenosevrything," and "Thewifedoesntknow."
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: