8 votes (23.52%)
3 votes (8.82%)
13 votes (38.23%)

34 members have voted

clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
May 7th, 2011 at 11:42:54 PM permalink
Which of these attributes do you believe helps the most with getting what you want in life? Assume that everyone has the drive to get what they want, but an excessive amount of just one of the choices above.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
May 8th, 2011 at 1:55:41 AM permalink
Good looks will get you in the door every time. Intelligence and charisma will keep you in the room. But if you have entry into a lot of rooms throughout life, and depending on who is in those rooms with you when you get there, that's all you need.

Shallow, but that's human nature.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 8th, 2011 at 5:01:39 AM permalink
Charisma will get you there, look at how many people like our current president. And of those, when questioned why, look how many people can only answer "he speaks so well" or "it is just something about him."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 8th, 2011 at 6:53:25 AM permalink
Where is the choice "sense of humor"? I'd pick that one over any of the above. Your attitude is your life.
A falling knife has no handle.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 8th, 2011 at 8:45:59 AM permalink
I voted for intelligence of your choices but I think that your most valuable assett is flexability. In the fast paced world of today you better be able to adapt to change in a hurry or you will be left behind.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 8th, 2011 at 9:20:48 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Charisma will get you there, look at how many people like our current president. And of those, when questioned why, look how many people can only answer "he speaks so well" or "it is just something about him."

I wonder how Duffster can spin "Which Ice Cream do you like best" into a political rant sprinkled with genteel racism.

Oddly the only people who are surprised that our President who received his JD from Harvard Magna Cum Laude can speak so well can usually only see his pigment from those little eye slits in their hood.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 8th, 2011 at 9:21:56 AM permalink
Luck and timing. The old saying I'd rather be lucky than good.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 8th, 2011 at 1:06:16 PM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

I wonder how Duffster can spin "Which Ice Cream do you like best" into a political rant sprinkled with genteel racism.

Oddly the only people who are surprised that our President who received his JD from Harvard Magna Cum Laude can speak so well can usually only see his pigment from those little eye slits in their hood.

Please explain where there is any racism in my statement.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
May 8th, 2011 at 1:40:23 PM permalink
The poster specified that "the drive" to accomplish was already there, so I went with luck. Nothing like having some fortuitous luck along with drive. (edited to say, hopefully there is some reasonable intelligence on board too, but still going with luck)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
May 8th, 2011 at 2:57:08 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Please explain where there is any racism in my statement.

There wasn't. I find it funny when people like us are accused of being "racist" because we don't love Obama. I usually explain: "I didn't love Mondale. I didn't love Dukakis. I didn't love Clinton. I didn't love Gore. I didn't love Kerry. I don't love Obama...If, after you review my history, you believe my lack of affection for the President is because of the color of his skin, you are the narrow-minded one."

It's nice to read your posts again, AZD.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 8th, 2011 at 5:14:18 PM permalink
Insight

Determination

Ability

Most people don't really know what they want.

Those who do, often get sidetracked and never achieve it.

Having finally achieved it, they must realize what they've finally won.
"What, me worry?"
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
May 8th, 2011 at 5:56:49 PM permalink
I would've picked "wisdom" if it was on the list. I think if you have and exercise that, the rest will come in due course.

Not that your physical features would change to be more attractive, but lots of money can make you attractive to lots of chicks, but your wisdom will keep you from doing anything stupid with them!
jwblue
jwblue
  • Threads: 34
May 17th, 2011 at 8:53:55 PM permalink
Intelligence is way overrated.

> Intelligence doesn't get you laid.

> It doesn't make you friends.

> Frankly, unless it is a mind intensive job, it won't give you a great career.

Charisma is what I chose.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 17th, 2011 at 11:49:12 PM permalink
Quote: jwblue

Intelligence is way overrated.

> Intelligence doesn't get you laid.

> It doesn't make you friends.

> Frankly, unless it is a geek job, it won't give you a great career.

Luckily, I have a geek job AND a great career. But then I'd rather be lucky than good.

Basically, it might not be the best thing to have, but thankfully I have some brains, as without 'em, I'd be poor AS WELL AS friendless and never getting laid.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 18th, 2011 at 11:44:15 AM permalink
Of the attributes on the list, "Luck" is the only one that doesn't depend on the individual's characteristics nor their behavior, therefore it is the most powerful. If you actually could possess it, you would not need the others.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 18th, 2011 at 1:51:32 PM permalink
Quote: jwblue

Intelligence is way overrated.Charisma is what I chose.

"Emotional Intelligence" (sometimes rated by EQ instead of IQ) is a somewhat overrated term, and it does have some characteristics of Charisma, but it is important. As a nod to the Wizard, I think he has a lot of EQ as well as IQ.

As someone once said to me, "It doesn't matter how smart you are if you can't communicate".
jwblue
jwblue
  • Threads: 34
May 18th, 2011 at 10:59:42 PM permalink
(delete)
  • Jump to: