RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 20th, 2010 at 5:58:17 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My friends biggest complaint is he has to work even harder at his job to make up for the incompetence of the female officers. A lot of crooks have chauvinistic ethnic backgrounds, and they have an antagonistic attitude towards females in positions of authority. They'd rather go to jail than be subdued by a woman. So the female officers are in a constant state of fear in a lot of major cities and rely heavily on male officers to protect them. This doesn't make for a great work environment when the men not only have to watch their own asses, but the womens asses too. Pun intended.

Quite frankly, there are woman cops who scare me much more than some of the weaker men in the police ranks. Competence and confidence are what make the difference--not the arrogant, "because I said so" attitude, but a good, honest hard-nosed approach to the job at hand. Don't let someone have an inch and they won't take a mile. When the situation is diffused, it may be possible to lighten up.

If people have bad attitudes towards woman, gays, blacks, etc. does it mean that we really should not allow them to serve in positions where there "might" be a challenging situation? What we should be looking at is how competent a person is, not their skin color or gender. Yeah, a big hoss cop might be better at some situations, but there are some situations where another type of person handles the issue better. I am personally tired of jack-booted thugs in police uniforms.

There is an issue that bugs me when these changes happen and that is when things tilt too far the PC/wrong way. We do need to demand that ALL are treated equally and no one gets "extra" rights. That singular issue does not give us a reason to not move forward.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 20th, 2010 at 6:01:39 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Just heard an Army recruiter on the radio and he's afraid its going to have a real impact on young men joining the Armed Services. He claims a lot of parents don't want their son's around openly Gay men, they have no tolerance for it at all. Time will tell.

Someone got the quote they wanted. So what?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
December 20th, 2010 at 6:06:10 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

What we should be looking at is how competent a person is, not their skin color or gender.

I will second that. And to start we should stop reporting "the first black <insert anything>." For that matter, not just first black but female and any ethnicity.

Why on earth should it be a news story when someone does something done any number of times before just because a person has a different skin color?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 20th, 2010 at 6:42:10 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Quite frankly, there are woman cops who scare me much more than some of the weaker men in the police ranks. .

But they're the exception, not the norm. I got stopped last summer by a woman cop who was at least 200 pounds and 6 feet tall. She frightened me. Most of the female cops I see are 5'6" and weigh about 130.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: