JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
November 25th, 2022 at 8:28:19 AM permalink
$ 110 to transfer a ticket on the Internet ? ? ? Complete BS ! ! !

$ 342 Before Fee:

$ 452 With Fee:

ooops, originally I typo'd 352, it is 452 with fees

Last edited by: JohnnyQ on Nov 25, 2022
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
November 25th, 2022 at 8:38:19 AM permalink
They'll keep charging those fees as long as people keep paying them.

Going to football games, rock concerts, etc. is a luxury expenditure. No one NEEDS to go.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
November 25th, 2022 at 9:26:50 AM permalink
I went to one game earlier this year and was OK with the ticket price. But yeah, gonna enjoy this one on the ol' TV.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 25th, 2022 at 9:32:38 AM permalink
I paid $7.50 for the ticket to my first concert, in 1974. I recently sold some unused 1977 NY Yankee WS tickets- the original cost was $8 and there was a $1.35 ticketron fee added to it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
November 25th, 2022 at 9:39:12 AM permalink
I thought about buying some tickets to Cirque, but $50+ in fees? No thanks...
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
Thanked by
JohnnyQ
November 25th, 2022 at 9:57:27 AM permalink
It’s even worse than the OP thinks. The seller pays some fees too!
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
Thanked by
JohnnyQ
November 25th, 2022 at 1:00:39 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

Or until they're not allowed to. Biden is trying to ban "junk" fees like ticket surcharges and hotel resort fees. It's the same old pattern: businesses do predatory things, until it eventually reaches a crises point and then the regulators step in. If the companies would simply avoid going overboard in the first place then they wouldn't get regulated, but they never learn.
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 25th, 2022 at 4:22:21 PM permalink
Don't people just show up at the venues anymore to buy tickets outside. That is how I usually buy mine. No broker fees.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
November 25th, 2022 at 4:34:50 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Don't people just show up at the venues anymore to buy tickets outside. That is how I usually buy mine. No broker fees.
link to original post

When a popular tour is announced, tickets are often only available thru ticket services, not at the box office and some venues and tours have exclusive deals with services.
The Grateful Dead went to war with these services and adopted their own ticketing. For doing so, they were blackballed from many arenas.
Live Nation has taken this to extremes, with many of their venue charging box office fees.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
November 25th, 2022 at 5:26:16 PM permalink
I used to buy concert tickets for $8-$10, when albums were $6-$9, and a quarter ounce of weed was $10, and ticket fees were $1.25 or some such.

Throw in inflation of 5,000% and tickets are $400-$500, albums are $300-$450, and a quarter ounce of weed is $500, and the ticket fees are $62.50. I'm gonna stick to albums.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
November 25th, 2022 at 5:45:27 PM permalink

Don't people just show up at the venues anymore to buy tickets outside.

Well yeah that's how it used to be. So when I bought a pair of resale tickets earlier this year, I was surprised that a printed ticket was not permissible, barcode or not.

Even our local High School has gone to all electronic ticketing. Which seems like a hassle. Especially for grandparents who may not be as technologically proficient.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 25th, 2022 at 6:17:21 PM permalink

link to original post

Few years back was going to buy ‘scalped’ tickets for Vikings at Bears. Hotel was around a mile from Soldier field. Started walking figuring I’d find many options along the way. Would get a feel for the market. We wanted to keep cost under $200 a ticket. Walking, walking, walking…. not a single guy offering tickets. I ask a bystander who tells me that since a printed ticket can be canceled, like happens if you sell it via StubHub, no one will trust $$$ for the printed tickets.
We saw 50-100 people on a line. Asked what it was for. Apparently the visiting team has access to ‘family’ tickets which they release for sale right before game time. We got front row, 50 yard line seats, upper deck. Great seats. Only $85 each. Was seated right as the opening kickoff happened.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 87
November 25th, 2022 at 8:23:40 PM permalink
I won’t go to any event unless it’s free/comped. I’m not goin to help pay there overpaid contracts, coaches or players. Besides, I rather watch at home watching multiple games at once.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 25th, 2022 at 8:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

I won’t go to any event unless it’s free/comped. I’m not goin to help pay there overpaid contracts, coaches or players. Besides, I rather watch at home watching multiple games at once.
link to original post

You do understand by watching you help pay the overpaid contracts? I think all major sports make more money from them selling commercials you watch than from tickets. Right?

Sabres having trouble selling tickets as we now have exceeded a decade of no playoffs. I’m going Monday. Tickets I think are $20. Apparently that’s a barber tip for Mission…
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 26th, 2022 at 2:51:49 AM permalink

link to original post

Good luck with that. It will work for less popular stuff, but major league sports and music want to be sold out well before. Multiple good reasons for this. People want to be assured they have a ticket.

The prices seem to have exploded starting in the 1980s. Something happened then. Before that prices were reasonable. Then the envelope got pushed, people paid, and it got pushed more and more and more. Concessions followed ticket prices. But if people keep paying why should they not jack the prices higher and higher. We have been told sport will peak as fewer and fewer "families" show up. Has yet to happen.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 26th, 2022 at 5:11:45 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

Or until they're not allowed to. Biden is trying to ban "junk" fees like ticket surcharges and hotel resort fees. It's the same old pattern: businesses do predatory things, until it eventually reaches a crises point and then the regulators step in. If the companies would simply avoid going overboard in the first place then they wouldn't get regulated, but they never learn.
link to original post

Thanks for posting that. I can’t tell from the article but assume the regulation would require upfront disclosure of all fees so they aren’t hidden, as opposed to disallowing an online ticket broker from charging as much in fees as it wants?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
November 26th, 2022 at 6:39:35 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

When a popular tour is announced, tickets are often only available thru ticket services, not at the box office and some venues and tours have exclusive deals with services.
The Grateful Dead went to war with these services and adopted their own ticketing. For doing so, they were blackballed from many arenas.
Live Nation has taken this to extremes, with many of their venue charging box office fees.
link to original post

I am talking about buying tickets outside the stadium from fans or scalpers. That is how I usually buy my tickets. Buy the ticket 15 minutes before the game or show starts and you can usually get a pretty fair price as the sellers don't want to be stuck with the tickets.
DRich
DRich
November 26th, 2022 at 6:44:07 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

[
Good luck with that. It will work for less popular stuff, but major league sports and music want to be sold out well before. Multiple good reasons for this. People want to be assured they have a ticket.

I do it all the time for big sporting events. I don't go to concerts so I wouldn't know about that. Usually at sporting events their are tons of people around the parking lot or stadium trying to sell tickets. I just wait til the very start of the game and buy from the guy that was holding out asking too much an hour earlier and now will be stuck with the tickets if he doesn't dump them for something. Often I will get them for less than face value.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
November 26th, 2022 at 6:49:34 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I used to buy concert tickets for $8-$10, when albums were $6-$9, and a quarter ounce of weed was $10, and ticket fees were $1.25 or some such.

Throw in inflation of 5,000% and tickets are $400-$500, albums are $300-$450, and a quarter ounce of weed is $500, and the ticket fees are $62.50. I'm gonna stick to albums.
link to original post

Chump you need to find a new weed guy. Maybe Evenbob. High end stuff in Michigan can be had for $100 an ounce.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
November 26th, 2022 at 8:41:46 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

The prices seem to have exploded starting in the 1980s. Something happened then. Before that prices were reasonable. Then the envelope got pushed, people paid, and it got pushed more and more and more. Concessions followed ticket prices. But if people keep paying why should they not jack the prices higher and higher. We have been told sport will peak as fewer and fewer "families" show up. Has yet to happen.
link to original post

Exactly! Back when I was younger growing up in Portland where the Blazers played in the 2nd smallest arena in the league, games were always sold out. I worked the parking lot very aggressively competing against the scalpers picking up extra tickets. Somebody always had an extra ticket for whatever reason and I always offered them below or at face value. At that point the people were willing to eat the cost of the ticket so it was getting something than nothing. When I toured with entertainment, and whenever we had a day off and there was a game, that’s how I attended the games. But getting a single ticket makes it much easier. I remembered when I was touring with Eric Clapton, we had a day off in Philly and the Cowboys were in town, my favorite team. Had to go, wearing my Cowboys jersey I had an eagles fan give me an extra ticket because they said they needed Cowboy fans to pick on. Lol.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 27th, 2022 at 6:03:44 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

You do understand by watching you help pay the overpaid contracts? I think all major sports make more money from them selling commercials you watch than from tickets. Right?

Sabres having trouble selling tickets as we now have exceeded a decade of no playoffs. I’m going Monday. Tickets I think are $20. Apparently that’s a barber tip for Mission…
link to original post

It is, but I’d never waste it on an NHL game.

People keep getting ripped off with prices and ticket policies and people just keep right on buying tickets and attending events.

Everyone talks stuff on the venues and TicketMaster, LiveNation, or whatever thing…but it’s not about to change if it appears that the consumers accept this treatment. I don’t, so I just won’t go to anything. Only way to change the market is for the consumer to change, which, in this case, means the consumer being significantly less willing to bend over for TicketMaster just because they want to see some stupid band.

Also, why do New Yorkers wait on a line as opposed to in a line?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
November 27th, 2022 at 7:36:04 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

It is, but I’d never waste it on an NHL game.

People keep getting ripped off with prices and ticket policies and people just keep right on buying tickets and attending events.

Everyone talks stuff on the venues and TicketMaster, LiveNation, or whatever thing…but it’s not about to change if it appears that the consumers accept this treatment. I don’t, so I just won’t go to anything. Only way to change the market is for the consumer to change, which, in this case, means the consumer being significantly less willing to bend over for TicketMaster just because they want to see some stupid band.

Also, why do New Yorkers wait on a line as opposed to in a line?
link to original post

Real New Yorkers do neither.
Lines are for touristas.
It's the same reason we go to the beach while others go to The Shore.
It would be best if you never questioned why New Yorkers do anything. Just accept they are culturally superior and do your best to emulate them.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
November 27th, 2022 at 9:34:42 AM permalink
I must be a New Yorker, I don’t stand in line either. I like that saying, lines are for tourists
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
November 27th, 2022 at 9:39:47 AM permalink
Do you wait 'on line' or 'in line'? | Merriam-Webster https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-it-on-line-or-in-line
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 9:54:08 AM permalink
In my relative youth, I did a bit of traveling thru Mexico, Guatemala and Nicaragua., among other places.

In Mexico, you get to a bus stop and you look who is there in front of you. Everyone mills around and when the bus comes, the people who were before you get on, and the ones who came after you wait until you get on to board. Utter chaos but there is an order to it. Same thing in the land of the Guats, but in Nicaragua, everyone waited in lines. Nice, neat, orderly lines. The bus might not be due for an hour, but people are on line waiting for it.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 10:00:46 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Do you wait 'on line' or 'in line'? | Merriam-Webster https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-it-on-line-or-in-line
link to original post

Standing "in" a line seems like a group effort. Standing "on" line is a singular effort. Waiting on a line isn't a group experience. The people in front of you want what you want, and will get it before you, unless you take appropriate measures.

Just because I'm on the same line as you, don't think we are in line together.
Fools laugh. The wise understand.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
November 27th, 2022 at 10:02:45 AM permalink
Cutting the line in a Chicago Greyhound bus station might be grounds for a riot.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 27th, 2022 at 10:25:48 AM permalink
I think just being in the general vicinity of a greyhound station you’ve got a double digit percentage of ending up in a riot.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 27th, 2022 at 10:36:20 AM permalink
Waiting on line is what people do when they’re trying to get burning man tickets, or anything of limited quantity when purchased on the internet. In person to say so is just a regional speech impediment, imho of course.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 11:14:26 AM permalink
What is a line? It's the shortest distance between two lines. Pick any spot on that path and stand there. Are you on the path or in it?
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
mcallister3200
November 27th, 2022 at 11:21:21 AM permalink

What is a line? It's the shortest distance between two lines. Pick any spot on that path and stand there. Are you on the path or in it?
link to original post

There's no physical line, though. You can be at the front of the line, the back of the line or in the line. The people are the line, so you are in line. I think saying on the line is out of line, unless there physically is a line.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 11:33:56 AM permalink

link to original post

There's no physical line, though. You can be at the front of the line, the back of the line or in the line. The people are the line, so you are in line. I think saying on the line is out of line, unless there physically is a line.
link to original post

The line is always there, whether there are people on it or in it.
Do you race on a track or in a track? Do you drive on the road or in the road? Is a boat on the water or in the water?

I could go on, but my auction is finally finished, and its time to face the real world. I've got some off-roading to do, or is it out-roading?
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 11:40:20 AM permalink
If someone is in a group waiting for tickets and has to leave, do they get off the line, or do they get out of the line?
Mission146
Mission146
November 27th, 2022 at 11:46:36 AM permalink

If someone is in a group waiting for tickets and has to leave, do they get off the line, or do they get out of the line?
link to original post

They get out of the line, of course.
Mission146
Mission146
November 27th, 2022 at 11:48:17 AM permalink

Do you race on a track or in a track? Do you drive on the road or in the road? Is a boat on the water or in the water?

I could go on, but my auction is finally finished, and its time to face the real world. I've got some off-roading to do, or is it out-roading?
link to original post

The track physically exists. The track will be there whether or not there are any cars upon it. Same with the road, though you might say of a pedestrian, "He's walking in the middle of the road," so context matters on that one.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 27th, 2022 at 3:06:14 PM permalink
Update. Son bought the $20 tickets. After fees, they were $27 each. That’s ‘only’ a 35% add on. I’m content though.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
November 27th, 2022 at 3:23:28 PM permalink

I paid $7.50 for the ticket to my first concert, in 1974. I recently sold some unused 1977 NY Yankee WS tickets- the original cost was $8 and there was a $1.35 ticketron fee added to it.
link to original post

Back in the day, concerts were done cheap to promote record sales, where the artist made the bulk of their money.

Now they earn almost nothing from streaming, and way more from touring with $300 tickets.

With sports I think most of it is a supply/demand thing. Cheap seats at an Eagles game are regularly $200+ but you can see the Sixers for $10.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 3:27:18 PM permalink
I'm surprised the artists put up with this because they get a percentage of the ticket sales but none of the fees.
If it is a 75-25% split, out of your $27 the artists would get $15, and the seller gets $12 minus any taxes. Not exactly 75-25, IMO. Most states now charge sales tax on the fees but that wasn't always the case.

Going to a game with your son is priceless.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 3:29:48 PM permalink

link to original post

The track physically exists. The track will be there whether or not there are any cars upon it. Same with the road, though you might say of a pedestrian, "He's walking in the middle of the road," so context matters on that one.
link to original post

In any event, the correct answer is neither. We don't do lines.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 3:35:36 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

link to original post

Back in the day, concerts were done cheap to promote record sales, where the artist made the bulk of their money.

Now they earn almost nothing from streaming, and way more from touring with $300 tickets.

With sports I think most of it is a supply/demand thing. Cheap seats at an Eagles game are regularly $200+ but you can see the Sixers for $10.
link to original post

People always complain about the prices but the Yankees had a $50 ten-game package the last year I lived there.
It had lots of restrictions- no Mets, Astros or Sox games but it got you in ,and sometimes the seats were decent.

Yes, rock concerts used to support album sales but that model broke a generation ago.
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2022 at 8:23:29 PM permalink

Yes, rock concerts used to support album sales but that model broke a generation ago.
link to original post

I know I am old, but I don't know anyone that buys songs or music anymore. It seems like everyone I know subscribes to a music service.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
November 28th, 2022 at 12:46:38 PM permalink

I'm surprised the artists put up with this because they get a percentage of the ticket sales but none of the fees.
If it is a 75-25% split, out of your $27 the artists would get $15, and the seller gets $12 minus any taxes. Not exactly 75-25, IMO. Most states now charge sales tax on the fees but that wasn't always the case.

Going to a game with your son is priceless.
link to original post

I was in entertainment for 20 years and as a tour accountant for the artist for several years too. My job was to settle with the promoters and make sure all expenses were in order and we get paid. Depending on the ticket sales, the norm will be 90/10 in the tickets vs a guarantee. Meaning that for a particular artist to come play, they are guaranteed a certain amount. Smaller artists who play in smaller venues will have a smaller guarantee vs a major act playing in a big arena. A major act playing in a big arena their guarantee could be $200k. Until the promoter sells enough tickets it won’t go into percentages. So promoters sometimes take a huge hit because the tickets sales didn’t exceed the guarantee. Plus they are on the hook for the catering bill, and other huge expenses.

Acts do not get a piece of the fees added on by Ticketmaster. Just like big travel sites don’t get a piece of the resort fees
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
November 28th, 2022 at 2:03:04 PM permalink

I know I am old, but I don't know anyone that buys songs or music anymore. It seems like everyone I know subscribes to a music service.
link to original post

I listen to music for free either on the radio or Youtube.

I also have friends that buy physical media, mostly vinyl.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 28th, 2022 at 3:58:14 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Ever the willing counterexample, my Luddite friends and I still do. DRM isn't worth the hassle, CD ripping is automated.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
November 28th, 2022 at 4:01:07 PM permalink
If I see a band locally and 1) I like them and 2) they are selling CDs, I will buy one, or at a garage sale but I can't think of the last new cd or album I purchased. Perhaps Cat Stevens comeback album.
  • Jump to: