USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 21st, 2020 at 4:10:48 PM permalink
Not sure how many poker players on here but a live stream of this event is going on.

https://youtu.be/aU0EYfblWaQ
Math is the only true form of knowledge
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 21st, 2020 at 6:07:09 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

Not sure how many poker players on here but a live stream of this event is going on.

It looks like Negreanu is down about 16 buy ins.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
December 21st, 2020 at 7:08:08 PM permalink
I know very little about Poker compared to most here.

But, I think 100% online, Polk has the advantage.

I don't watch a ton of poker, but a lot of Negreanu's skill seems to be ability to read and influence players at the table.

Whereas Polk never seemed like an amazing live player (granted the one show I rember watching him live in, he showed up totally hammered so it may not be a fair mental image). But, I can never recall an impressive live performance by him on television.

Both are limited in scope (I have not watched a ton of either), that is just my perception.

I think Polk will be successful here because of the format. I think Daniel is better live and Doug is better online (again that is my very non-informed opinion)....

I don't dislike either player (I still have no clue what their "beef" is over), both seem like decent people so I don't have any personal bias.... I do like Doug Polk on his non Poker YouTube channels (he has some good content) and I like that Negreanu is a vegan, and both seem to have positive attributes and seem like they are probably decent people.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 21st, 2020 at 7:16:01 PM permalink
Polk is experienced at Heads Up poker and Negreanu is not. Polk had a huge advantage going into this.

Our resident poker pro here said he would probably be a 1000-1 underdog because Heads Up poker is so different.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 7:45:26 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

It looks like Negreanu is down about 16 buy ins.

Yeah at the time. In the end Negreanu earned back another buying making another 60k back ;)
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 7:51:11 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I know very little about Poker compared to most here.

But, I think 100% online, Polk has the advantage.

I don't watch a ton of poker, but a lot of Negreanu's skill seems to be ability to read and influence players at the table.

Whereas Polk never seemed like an amazing live player (granted the one show I rember watching him live in, he showed up totally hammered so it may not be a fair mental image). But, I can never recall an impressive live performance by him on television.

Both are limited in scope (I have not watched a ton of either), that is just my perception.

I think Polk will be successful here because of the format. I think Daniel is better live and Doug is better online (again that is my very non-informed opinion)....

I don't dislike either player (I still have no clue what their "beef" is over), both seem like decent people so I don't have any personal bias.... I do like Doug Polk on his non Poker YouTube channels (he has some good content) and I like that Negreanu is a vegan, and both seem to have positive attributes and seem like they are probably decent people.

I agree with everything you said. Polk definitely has the advantage online but I think Negreanu has outs that most aren't talking about. Your right that Daniel has some increasable reads, if anyone can adapt to Doug's playstyle & spot some micro tell it's Negreanu! That being said I think Doug has been playing wait too overconfident & not taking the challenge that seriously. It looked like he was high on the interview right after the game & completely non-sealant about Daniel winning back the 60k those last hundred of so hands.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 8:01:07 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Polk is experienced at Heads Up poker and Negreanu is not. Polk had a huge advantage going into this.

Our resident poker pro here said he would probably be a 1000-1 underdog because Heads Up poker is so different.

1000-1 is ridiculous odds, poler has more luck in it even if there are 500k of hands in the challenge. Doug is a huge favorite, problem is that there are so many hands and we all know how good Negreanu is at adjusting to someone's game. Your right & Doug should have this in the bag but I fear if he loses this challenge it will be solely because of his arrogance & overconfidence :/

Just doing the math & how many hands have been played at 200-400 blinds, Doug should be up a lot more money but he's coasting since he's in the lead. When they played live Negreanu dominated badly on tv & that got Doug to take the game seriously and develop a high lead from being behind! Now that he has the lead he has a quarter of the determination to win :(
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
December 22nd, 2020 at 2:17:03 AM permalink

1000-1 is ridiculous odds, poler has more luck in it even if there are 500k of hands in the challenge. Doug is a huge favorite, problem is that there are so many hands and we all know how good Negreanu is at adjusting to someone's game. Your right & Doug should have this in the bag but I fear if he loses this challenge it will be solely because of his arrogance & overconfidence :/

Just doing the math & how many hands have been played at 200-400 blinds, Doug should be up a lot more money but he's coasting since he's in the lead. When they played live Negreanu dominated badly on tv & that got Doug to take the game seriously and develop a high lead from being behind! Now that he has the lead he has a quarter of the determination to win :(

What are you talking about? Doug is up a lot more money than he "should be" if we are just pretending variance doesn't exist. Doug has won many more coolers and is running way above EV in All-In pots.

Coasting? Doug is working just as hard as ever, he talks about it in the post match interviews. Also, it's hard to say he got dominated live, in 200 hands Daniel got hit iwith the deck the whole time.

Quote: Gandler

I mean Doug did take home 3 bracelets in only about 3 years of regularly playing live tournaments. He might have the highest ROI for tournament buy-ins of anyone on earth. I think he's pretty decent at live poker.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
WTflush
December 22nd, 2020 at 6:01:25 AM permalink

This whole post shows you know next to nothing about poker. Daniel played terrible during the live hands but got hit with the deck. He was atrocious getting value in basic spots and never went for the thin value. Dnegs has gotten much better as they play and he’s getting better at a faster rate than Polk is getting back in the groove of HU play. The problem for Dnegs is Polk is so far and away a better player that even as he closes the skill gap he is still way behind.

As far as the current standings. I haven’t looked at it in the last few days but Polk is running above ev currently so I’m not sure why you’re saying he should be up more. Btw Polk isn’t coasting he is putting in insane hours of study every day and has been openly very critical of his own play on Twitter. Also Polk had multiple millions on the line betting on himself with Bill Perkins as well as a few others. He has a ton to gain and more to lose as he bet with odds obviously.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:15:13 AM permalink

why start another thread with EXACTLY the same title?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/poker/35270-polk-vs-negreau/

Mods- Lock this thread?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
December 22nd, 2020 at 11:59:39 AM permalink
Thanks 100x. Was wondering WTF happened to the thread I started when I clicked on this one.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 22nd, 2020 at 1:09:29 PM permalink
Quote: linksjunkie

Thanks 100x. Was wondering WTF happened to the thread I started when I clicked on this one.

This thread locked. Previous thread was at
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/poker/35270-polk-vs-negreau/

Please respond to that one.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: