4 votes (30.76%)
1 vote (7.69%)

13 members have voted

USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 21st, 2020 at 10:37:03 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Another great memory! Back in High School I was captain of our math team. Yes, in NYC we had math teams. We named our team the ‘Bayside Radicals’, and I had a friend who was artistic design T shirts. The front had the word Bayside under a ‘radical’ symbol. On the back like a jersey you had a number. As captain, my number was a ‘pi’ symbol. I wore that light blue T shirt for years until it literally fell apart! I came in 4th place in the citywide individual competition.

In college I went more ‘science’ than ‘math’, hence MD and not math PhD. I would be of little help on your requested math team now.....

That really sounds like a lot of fun....I wish my high school memories were that enjoyable :/
Math is the only true form of knowledge
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 21st, 2020 at 10:40:24 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

My competition days are long behind me.

However, if you, or anyone else, are interested in serious problems, there are a number of competition sites that post their problems:

USA Mathematical Olympiad - six problems per year; these require proofs, instead of just answers

American Invitational Mathematics Exam - twice per year; 15 questions each; only answers are needed, and the questions are written such that each answer is an integer from 0 to 999 (for example, if the answer is a fraction, the question would ask for the sum of the answer's numerator and denominator, or the largest integer <= 1000 times the answer)

Harvard/MIT Mathematics Tournament - this is actually two different events.
The Harvard event, held each November, is more of an all-encompassing test; the MIT event, held each February, is divided into categories (algebra/number theory, geometry, and combinatorics). The MIT questions are harder than the Harvard ones. What makes these events tough is, you get something like eight questions, and have one hour to solve them. This is another "answers-only" test, although there is a separate "invitational" event that requires proofs.

I would include the International Mathematical Olympiad, which, like the USAMO, is a proofs-required contest, but I cannot find any source for the answers to the problems.

Note that none of these requires calculus.

Very nice finds! I especially like the Harvard / MIT Tournament. My money would be only MIT's math department any day. Harvard is nothing but a prep school ;)
Math is the only true form of knowledge
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
December 22nd, 2020 at 2:38:13 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

I think when we start talking about IQ scores around 160 I just have a hard time taking it seriously. Anything close to 5 standard deviations is really just a fluke & I'm not sure if many of the IQ scores can accurately test participants at those high levels which is why you can find examples of people hitting IQ scores above 200 (which to me is obvious the test failed). Also, there is a huge problem with people studying to pass the tests. These tests are designed in such a way that participants aren't supposed to be able to study for these test but I think there is ample evidence to support that this is just not the case.

Also, I did misunderstand your wager & I will happily accept your offer! I was going to pay whoever back for winning but I have no problem with paying them for losing ;) However you are smart in that if I do lose, odds are I will end up in the standard deviation next to the winning score :/

Okay so what odds do I get, what stakes and what terms would make you happy to bet?
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
December 23rd, 2020 at 11:48:26 AM permalink
I don’t like IQ tests. I don’t enjoy trying to figure things out quickly. But I do enjoy trying to figure things out if I can take my time if I want to.
  • Jump to: