DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 17th, 2020 at 1:33:20 PM permalink
I must be completely heartless. I find this whole thing very interesting and entertaining. I haven't had this much fun with current events since the first Iraqi war. I will except a few hundred thousand deaths as the price for my entertainment.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
March 17th, 2020 at 1:40:08 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I feel like we're all living inside a really, really bad sci fi movie

We've been living in a bad movie since 9/11. I'm convinced the fall of the Twin Towers ripped a hole in the space time continuum and altered reality on a quantum level.

My other working theory is that I died in the Iraq War and I'm stuck in a purgatory or something.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
beachbumbabs
March 17th, 2020 at 1:48:44 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

So, everyone is being asked to pull together on this.

In that spirit...

I heard an interview with a guy whose name and title I cannot remember; I just remember he's one of the folks on the front lines and is THE source of the 80 / 15 / 5 number everyone keeps quoting. He came on to make some points, two of which bear repeating.

This. Is. Not. "the flu". The flu itself is already warped in its meaning where any bubble gut or period of unrest is "bit of the flu". He made it a point to remind folks that the actual flu is no "little". It's 8hrs of scared you're gonna die followed by 24 where you wish you would. It kills tens of thousands. The word's been so bastardized it means almost nothing, and so using it in relation to Covid is idiocy of the highest order. There is no vax, like with the flu. There's no history of wtf is gonna happen to you a month a year a decade from now, like the flu. Assuming you survive the flu, about your only side effect is being 20lbs lighter. With this, the side effect might be permanent loss of 20% of your lung function. Not to be alarmist, but if you're using these terms, you yourself are a danger to you and everyone around you.

The second was a bit of an apology for the exact ideas being mentioned in this forum. He said he made it a point to be even keeled and level headed, and knew that panic was a real danger he had responsibility over. He said he made that 80 / 15 / 5 comment with that in mind, and now that he's seeing it play out, went back to clarify as he's worried about what he's seeing. He says the "80% mild" cases aren't mild in that you have the sniffles and that's it. He said "mild" runs the gamut from nearly no symptoms all the way to double pneumonia with permanent lung damage. Read that last again. That's your "mild" you're not all that worried about; all the way up to permanent disability, but if you don't need someone to breathe for you, it's "mild". The "15% severe" are people who need intubation, respirators, ICU stays, hospitalization, or they die. The 5% are hopeless.

If you've never had to survive before, consider this your wake up call. If you think "someone else" is gonna take care of it, I just found out my federal job has been hosting the g/f of a quarantined man on the workforce. And she comes to work every f#$%ing day. She's the one that gives every carrier their mail for the day. This, in a county that's already shut and already on red alert.

Get Your Head In The Game.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
March 17th, 2020 at 2:01:35 PM permalink
And btw, the flu is still gonna work its numbers as well this year. Though 19 may get to them first. You could even get both at the same time.
You probably won't have to worry about being alive long though if such is the case.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 168
onenickelmiracle
March 17th, 2020 at 2:15:57 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

We've been living in a bad movie since 9/11. I'm convinced the fall of the Twin Towers ripped a hole in the space time continuum and altered reality on a quantum level.

My other working theory is that I died in the Iraq War and I'm stuck in a purgatory or something.

when I was a little boy I believed I was the only real person on the planet
everybody else was a robot

I thought God was testing me to see if I was any good
and if I was he'd put some more real people on the earth
𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
March 17th, 2020 at 2:16:35 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I feel like we're all living inside a really, really bad sci fi movie

and we can't bust through the hallucination and get back to reality

Very true....Iím waiting to see Rod Serling appear on my TV.

Tough times.
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
March 17th, 2020 at 2:27:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I must be completely heartless. I find this whole thing very interesting and entertaining. I haven't had this much fun with current events since the first Iraqi war. I will except a few hundred thousand deaths as the price for my entertainment.

Really? Even if some of them are (hypothetically) all of your relatives, friends and loved ones? You are still accepting their deaths for the entertainment?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 17th, 2020 at 2:34:26 PM permalink
Quote: rawtuff

Really? Even if some of them are (hypothetically) all of your relatives, friends and loved ones? You are still accepting their deaths for the entertainment?

Yes, I probably only have 15 or so people that I really care about so the odds are with me that none will be them.. If it is, que sera sera.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
March 17th, 2020 at 2:59:32 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, I probably only have 15 or so people that I really care about so the odds are with me that none will be them.. If it is, que sera sera.

Well, if everyone had the same reasoning as you and the governments did nothing to contain and slow the contagion the number of infected would grow exponentially until about 70% of the population is infected and either die or recover and build the needed herd immunity for the rest still uninfected to be protected. Current mortality rate for COVID19 is about 3.5% so that means about 2.5% of the total population would've died. That's 1 in 40, so you'd have about what, 38% chance at least one of your closest people die. Not sure if that's right. But majority of people have maybe about 40-50 people close to them - relatives and close friends. So on average every single person that has survived would have lost a dear one in that scenario. But I'm not icluding all those that would die due to unavailability of proper medical care because of the total health care system collapse that would have followed. So the chances are much higher actually.

Luckily not everyone has the same reasoning as you.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
March 17th, 2020 at 3:02:55 PM permalink
Kentucky Derby cancelled till the fall.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: