Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14230
March 26th, 2020 at 5:34:22 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Such a bad business decision these casinos staying open this long. They'll be able to trace exposure right back to them, and even if the exposures would have happened to many people, people could wind up associating the illnesses with casinos anyway. People are saying around here, they think they already had this and didn't know it, but we don't have the deaths to back it up, just wishful thinking and denial. We still don't yet have the deaths for so many to be exposed and over it.



What we don't have is enough evidence to know how many people have had a mild case and recovered. They're doing all of this blind without that information.

Right now, out of 83,000 cases in the US, about 1200 have died, and only 260 have recovered. The rest 80k+ are still ill, defined as confirmed cases still testing positive.

So for every one who's actually recovered, 5 have died.

We had all better HOPE there's a boatload of people out there who had it and recovered without ever knowing they had it.

And the only way to find that out is a blood test for the antibodies people would have developed in overcoming the virus. Luckily, it's a cheap and simple test that they can easily run. They're talking about doing it, but no action yet that I know of. It would help enormously to map the disease.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 26th, 2020 at 5:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

What we don't have is enough evidence to know how many people have had a mild case and recovered. They're doing all of this blind without that information.

Right now, out of 83,000 cases in the US, about 1200 have died, and only 260 have recovered. The rest 80k+ are still ill, defined as confirmed cases still testing positive.

So for every one who's actually recovered, 5 have died.

We had all better HOPE there's a boatload of people out there who had it and recovered without ever knowing they had it.

And the only way to find that out is a blood test for the antibodies people would have developed in overcoming the virus. Luckily, it's a cheap and simple test that they can easily run. They're talking about doing it, but no action yet that I know of. It would help enormously to map the disease.

As I said in the other thread, if people were getting it and not knowing it, there would be plenty of people knowing it, because they weren't alone dying in hospitals. This was the reason we knew it started in WUHAN, people were dying one right after the other.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 631
March 26th, 2020 at 5:45:26 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Apples to oranges. Sounds like there aren't enough places which allow smoking, your point is well received. Smokers need some affirmative action to deal with the discrimination and prejudice and ostracization.


As sad as it was...I had to laugh at the precautions prior to closing. “We will remove every other seat so you aren’t too close to anyone. We will close every other slot. Hand sanitizer up the wazoo. Full time crews on wipe down.”

Prior....6 guys at a blackjack table blowing smoke toward the dealer and anyone else in proximity where we know 40,000 bought the farm based on second hand smoke. (AMA)...New England Journal, etc, etc.

“No problem”.

Hypocrisy doesn’t even begin to describe it.

If there was an ounce of backbone after this virus was all said and done...the casino smoking exemption would go the way of the dodo bird.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14230
Thanks for this post from:
petroglyph
March 26th, 2020 at 5:47:49 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

As I said in the other thread, if people were getting it and not knowing it, there would be plenty of people knowing it, because they weren't alone dying in hospitals. This was the reason we knew it started in WUHAN, people were dying one right after the other.



But how it started is water under the bridge and out in the delta weeks ago. They need to map as much of it as they can so they can locate the emergency care gear, extra personnel, and resources where they need them next.

Even more importantly from a survival standpoint, they need those people's blood if they're out there. They need to do whole blood or antibody-rich plasma transfusions of it into stricken people to help boost their immune systems NOW. And they need to study their blood and the antibodies they developed to build vaccines and treatments.

I have a friend who is one of the few who have recovered. She's giving the maximum blood possible to all the different researchers and scientists - just did her 3rd donation of some quantity in 10 days, up in the Seattle area.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3345
March 26th, 2020 at 5:56:14 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

40,000 dead (morte!) last year from second hand smoke. In a general sense, casinos are one of the last vestiges of large swaths of people congregating indoors where we say “smoke away, no problem”. The stores, the arenas, Walmart, the offices...we mandate “no f**ing way”.

No problem with that exposure and death, right?

Just putting it all in perspective (and probably our hypocrisy) on the “bad business decision” front. I guess we are more than willing to tolerate a certain amount of worker and customer deaths over a KNOWN health hazard.

I don't believe second hand smoke kills.

I have an article here [somewhere] that said the gov had 12 study's done before they found one they liked that said how dangerous 2nd smoke is. Unless a person is living with someone who won't go outside and has to live in a cloud, I don't believe it.

If 2 smoke kills, why isn't everyone that gambled in Vegas dead? It's irritating agreed, I hate it, but it's not killing 40k per.
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 2542
March 26th, 2020 at 6:39:26 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I will bet you aNY amount of money they are not. the trajectory of infections will have nevada likely at the peak of infections around then so name a geographic area and propose how much you want to bet. I'll let you win if even 80% are open.




In the news tonight, Fresno just extended the order to stay home by two more weeks. April 12th. Good luck with that.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 4022
March 26th, 2020 at 6:41:28 PM permalink
Some casinos in Oklahoma to remain closed at least until April 15th. Probably all will follow suit, and I bet they stay closed even longer than that.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 631
March 26th, 2020 at 6:46:09 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I don't believe second hand smoke kills.

I have an article here [somewhere] that said the gov had 12 study's done before they found one they liked that said how dangerous 2nd smoke is. Unless a person is living with someone who won't go outside and has to live in a cloud, I don't believe it.

If 2 smoke kills, why isn't everyone that gambled in Vegas dead? It's irritating agreed, I hate it, but it's not killing 40k per.


Which government is that?.....because they have pretty much all, including WHO and just about any other reputable medical source (AMA, New England J of M) determined a definitive health hazard (death) link from second hand smoke and increased lung cancer and heart disease deaths.

If it's a reputable source saying not true, I'll listen. If it's a cigarette company source or someone who has an axe to grind to take an alternative opinion....pass.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 26th, 2020 at 7:34:43 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Quote: petroglyph

I don't believe second hand smoke kills.

I have an article here [somewhere] that said the gov had 12 study's done before they found one they liked that said how dangerous 2nd smoke is. Unless a person is living with someone who won't go outside and has to live in a cloud, I don't believe it.

If 2 smoke kills, why isn't everyone that gambled in Vegas dead? It's irritating agreed, I hate it, but it's not killing 40k per.


Which government is that?.....because they have pretty much all, including WHO and just about any other reputable medical source (AMA, New England J of M) determined a definitive health hazard (death) link from second hand smoke and increased lung cancer and heart disease deaths.

If it's a reputable source saying not true, I'll listen. If it's a cigarette company source or someone who has an axe to grind to take an alternative opinion....pass.



What you should do is go preach to the choir and not people who don't gaf.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 26th, 2020 at 7:38:33 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

But how it started is water under the bridge and out in the delta weeks ago. They need to map as much of it as they can so they can locate the emergency care gear, extra personnel, and resources where they need them next.

Even more importantly from a survival standpoint, they need those people's blood if they're out there. They need to do whole blood or antibody-rich plasma transfusions of it into stricken people to help boost their immune systems NOW. And they need to study their blood and the antibodies they developed to build vaccines and treatments.

I have a friend who is one of the few who have recovered. She's giving the maximum blood possible to all the different researchers and scientists - just did her 3rd donation of some quantity in 10 days, up in the Seattle area.

Agreed, just think the people who think they had it already and never knew are just being wishful thinkers and in denial. It's possible to have had it once it has been proven to be around, but I don't think the virus was going around not killing people then changed the MO. Blood transfusions are an idea which was passed around, think it's a good idea and something which isn't talked about much and not very often.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.

  • Jump to: