RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 10th, 2019 at 6:38:06 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

The idea is to make a better experience for the customer. For me, that would happen by letting management negotiate wages with their employees instead of forcing their customers to do it. I'm going to tip just over 20% and almost never have I seen service that made me deviate from that. And that's on the high end. So every time I go to a restaurant, I'm hit in the face with the idea that I'm subsidizing the wages for the cheapskates and foreigners.

What experience for the customer are you talking about? I have no idea how my experience would be better if management negotiated wages with their employees instead of me tipping. I'm not so worried about figuring out what 20% of my bill is...but if you think your experience would be better to be forced to pay that 20% instead of optionally, despite the level of service, idk what to say.

Side bar: If they're going to be free to negotiate wages, can we finally get rid of minimum wage?
Note: Minimum wage laws still apply. If a 'tipped employee' doesn't meet the $8.25/hr (after tips) or whatever minimum wage is, the employer is required to pay the difference.

I say let the market decide -- and so far, the market has decided that it's acceptable for people to work for practically nothing knowing they're very likely going to get tips from the customers. If an employee wants to work for $1/hr and the boss agrees, let them. AFAIK, strippers have to PAY to work.

The reason I can't buy this theory is because we tip at the end of a meal, so no matter what I tip, it would have no effect on the service I get. Based on this logic, if tips improve service, that means the service I receive is based on whatever the previous guys paid. And whatever I pay is essentially paying for the service the next customers. If anyone really felt this way, the argument should be that we should tip at the beginning of the meal.

"If I do a good job, they'll tip me more", I would say, is probably common thought for wait staff. At least that was part of my mentality when I used to deal table games. To be honest, I didn't really care about tips (hustling) that much because total tips at end of the pay period were very consistent. If you tip hotel maids, do you tip at the beginning or the end of your stay? That's a rhetorical question, btw.

It doesn't feel optional, which goes back to how it effects the customer experience. It makes me feel like a piece of shit if I don't tip. One change that would seem to satisfy everyone involved would be to have tipping customary, but not provide the bulk of servers wages. A lot of tipped jobs are like that. Maybe $1 per plate. And leaving $10 instead of $5 would be a more noticeable way to show appreciation for their service instead of going from 18% to 22%.\

It's also curious that no one will ever make this case for almost any other line of work.

It absolutely is optional and IMO you shouldn't just flat out always tip 20% and ESPECIALLY NOT when the service is bad (it just reinforces the "I can do a bad job and still get tipped" idea some people have). I usually try to tip around 20%, assuming the service is adequate. But if I'm having a real expensive meal, it's probably going to be closer to 15%. If I'm at a diner or something like that and my total is $7, I'm probably gonna leave $3. Other factors, as well -- like if we've finished our meal but hung out and talked for an extra 30-45 minutes after.

If the service is truly bad, then just don't leave a tip. It's not often, but I've done that plenty of times. I also wouldn't be opposed if it was customary to tip based on # of plates/dishes/glasses/etc. being served as opposed to a % of the bill...although I more or less do that at buffets (no way in hell am I tipping $40+ for a party of 4 at the bacchanal that has a $200 bill).

Theoretical question -- let's say the government passed a law saying that tipping is to be 100% outlawed in restaurants and the "tipped staff wage" or w/e it's called is abolished, so they would have to get paid at least state/fed. minimum wage....how do you think restaurants and their staffs would react? As in, do food prices go up, and if so, how much? Are waiters now going to be making minimum wage ($8.25/hr or so), or do you think it'll be higher? Do you think their income would be the same, lower, or higher than before (when including tips)? And do you think restaurants would take advantage of this, by increasing their menu prices more than is needed to pay the increase in wages (EG: Your meal is $5 more and the waiter is making $5 less, restaurant pockets the difference)?
# Свободный Натан
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
May 10th, 2019 at 6:47:44 AM permalink
Whats the most unusual service that you have tipped
Mine was the mule ride down the Bright Angel trail at the Grand Canyon
Had such a great time, tipped the tour guides a 20 dollar bill.
Also took a small boat ride around the Hong Kong harbor looking at the "junk" boats
Boat was small , just holds a few people. Cant remember what I tipped but I did tip
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 95
May 10th, 2019 at 7:43:50 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

While traveling, me and another person went to Denny's because it was the best option at the time. It was really busy at the time. Even so, the waitress had our drink order before we even sat down and she had it on the table lickety-split. She was cute, well groomed very nice(but not in a fake way). She was very efficient and seemed intelligent, all while covering many tables. I thought, WOW!, this girl should be working a much better paying job. Hopefully, some business owner will notice what I did and nap her up. It's people like that who deserved to be over tipped and the rest of them should be tipped way less.

You are exposing your vulnerable side. You actually have some heart!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1210
May 10th, 2019 at 7:47:39 AM permalink
I personally don't have much of an issue tipping in restaurants, but I know it causes friction among the waitresses. Hostesses can tell which customers are likely to tip better and can steer them to the table of a friend. Then again, the waitresses who get tipped well, probably because of certain physical features, probably like the status quo.

What bothers me is having to tip for services right and left. Paying on jackpots is the perfect example. If I didn't get any special treatment, why am I expected to tip for a service I never asked for? Especially if it took a long time to get paid. I'm not saying there should be a ban on tipping, out of respect of the free market, but if I ran a restaurant, for example, I would would make it clear that prices were increased by 18% as a service fee and tipping was truly not expected.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 158
May 10th, 2019 at 8:26:37 AM permalink
Quote: RS

but I like it when the waiter is busting his ass refilling my drink after it's halfway down.

Yeah, but why your idea sucks here.

That waiter doesn't know if you're are actually going to pay him a good tip. He hopes you do, but you're so called great idea of tipping guarantees him ZILCH. Why should he not get what he deserves when he deserves it?

I'm fine with paying extra for people doing extra when I want it. He or she makes money; I get exactly what I want.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 153
Thanks for this post from:
RS
May 10th, 2019 at 8:38:34 AM permalink
After you folks fix the problem with tipping, can you do something about potholes?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 8
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
May 10th, 2019 at 8:40:14 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

After you folks fix the problem with tipping, can you do something about potholes?

Start tipping road workers.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux 
  • Threads: 24
May 10th, 2019 at 9:08:50 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I personally don't have much of an issue tipping in restaurants, but I know it causes friction among the waitresses. Hostesses can tell which customers are likely to tip better and can steer them to the table of a friend. Then again, the waitresses who get tipped well, probably because of certain physical features, probably like the status quo.

What bothers me is having to tip for services right and left. Paying on jackpots is the perfect example. If I didn't get any special treatment, why am I expected to tip for a service I never asked for? Especially if it took a long time to get paid. I'm not saying there should be a ban on tipping, out of respect of the free market, but if I ran a restaurant, for example, I would would make it clear that prices were increased by 18% as a service fee and tipping was truly not expected.

Firstly, I don't really see tipping as something I "have to" do. Generosity is a self rewarding virtue. It makes me happy to know that the guy who brought my pizza or whatever made a nice wage for doing so, because of me. I'm glad that waiters, bar tenders, cocktail wiatreses, dealers, etc. etc. can afford a decent lifestyle, instead of hovering around the poverty line like big box or fast food workers. AND, it's good for my business and many others that these people have discresionary income! They lose to me at poker. They can afford to eat out, or buy their kids a play station. I'm sure it helps to alleviate many social ills as well.

I think more jobs should be tipped. I mentioned Uber. There's lots of trouble because they are raising prices, slashing compensation and STILL losing money.

Having driven for Uber, if they had encouraged people to tip $3-5 from the jump, they could pay drivers even less than they do and it would be a pretty solid job. The quality of drivers and cars would be higher. The service would be safer.

I think, perhaps being tech nerds who think in spread sheets, they made the false assumption that people only care about the total cost of the service, regardless of where it goes. So they wanted to keep the "tip" portion of the price for themselves. But they were wrong. Most people are happy to pay an extra amount, IF THEY KNOW, it allows the person who is serving them, and talking to them and looking them in the eye, to live in a decent place and put food on the table.

They are not so excited to give an extra $5 to wealthy venture capitalists.

So... what if it was customary to cough up $1 per fast food order? Maybe as little as 25 cents when you bought something in a 7-11? And the prices of the goods were a little cheaper because employers could pay significantly less?

Just a thought. Haven't really thought it through. But, I think the end result would be a lot more good paying jobs, better service, it might cost you slightly more but not much, and all of these workers would now have money to pump in the economy and maintain stable families/home lives

Might seem far fetched. But again, this is exactly what happens with dealers, bartenders, waiters, etc. etc. .
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 119
May 10th, 2019 at 9:48:20 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

$5 per day for housekeeping seems overly generous to me, but I'm a flea. What do others tip per day for standard housekeeping?

Five bucks, end of stay. I usually do not get stayover service, though. Also, as many of my stays as not are one night.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 119
May 10th, 2019 at 9:50:25 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I pay whatever price the hotel and I agree upon. Housekeeping is included in the price. Hopefully, they pay their housekeepers enough to keep them around.

"More than nothing," is usually enough to keep them around, often minimum wage. I hope your room doesn't look like the rooms of some AP's I know by the time you leave, or you should really consider tipping more than nothing.
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: