bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
April 23rd, 2019 at 9:17:52 PM permalink
"Steve" on Wiki, 3 million edits, 35,000 original articles. Omg. Get. A. Life.

And how much was he paid? Squat. Zip. Zero. Nada. The guy does it for free. lmao

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/meet-the-man-behind-a-third-of-whats-on-wikipedia/
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 23rd, 2019 at 9:54:34 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

And how much was he paid? Squat. Zip. Zero. Nada. The guy does it for free. lmao

As a volunteer here, I don't understand your attitude about this. Wiki is an amazing collaboration, and nearly everyone who contributes is unpaid. Why not appreciate the depth of the guy's commitment?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Mintyodiousgambit
April 23rd, 2019 at 10:16:33 PM permalink
I agree with babs on this one. Don't make fun of the guy because he's doing something that (AFAICT) is helpful to everyone. Sounds like he's pretty damn smart and good at researching stuff and I assume he enjoys doing it.

I wonder how he'd fare on Jeopardy. Probably better than BBB and Wizard. :) :)

I don't like writing it as "Jeopardy!" because that's stupid to have an exclamation point (mark?) in the title.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 2:19:57 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I agree with babs on this one. Don't make fun of the guy because he's doing something that (AFAICT) is helpful to everyone. Sounds like he's pretty damn smart and good at researching stuff and I assume he enjoys doing it.

Don't you recognize a slant? Is Wiki gospel? I think there's a whole generation that believes it is gospel. No wonder we're so screwed up. Communist professors teaching higher "education", and "Steve". We're doomed.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 24th, 2019 at 2:38:58 AM permalink
Some people have their weird place in life. I can't see making that your life unless you are both rich and bored. But each his own.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 3:03:05 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Some people have their weird place in life.

Yeah, his is at his parents' house.

How about you, AZD? Do you see the liberal slant of Wiki, as I do? And the damage from a whole generation treating it as gospel?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 24th, 2019 at 3:26:27 AM permalink
wikipedia is very good on scientific and other technical topics, just beware of pop culture topics, politics, and the like. As far as a liberal slant, it's vulnerable depending on contributors, but I see no reason to particularly cite it.

if you make a contribution it may be something you will leave behind for others long after you are gone

I will quickly fix a typo but can't quite make myself contribute much; some of what little I did is still there.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
April 24th, 2019 at 3:34:16 AM permalink
When working on my film project Dark Oz there was an incorrect fact mentioned by a newspaper

IMDB prided itself on only using "sourced" facts while everyone condemned Wikipedia because anyone can change or edit the facts.

The idea being the whole of humanity will police itself.

End result:

I successfully changed the wrong info on Wikipedia while IMDB refused my changes citing the newspaper published report as correct

So to this day IMDB with its vetted system has the WRONG info while Wikipedia has the correct info
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
odiousgambit
April 24th, 2019 at 5:38:01 AM permalink

Don't you recognize a slant? Is Wiki gospel? I think there's a whole generation that believes it is gospel. No wonder we're so screwed up. Communist professors teaching higher "education", and "Steve". We're doomed.

If you're talking about political slant, I have no idea. I rarely read wikipedia when it comes to stuff that is or may be political. Like odiousgambit mentioned, I mostly just use it for trying to get a brief understanding of something I'm not familiar about. It's a good starting point when learning about a new subject. As far as I can tell, I can't remember reading anything on wikipedia that has an obvious political slant.
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
April 24th, 2019 at 6:11:43 AM permalink
There's a whole community of people dedicated to fixing the errors on Wikipedia. Happens on other sites too, like Ancestry. I kind of look at it as an achievement to have curated such a large amount of information. I'm guessing some of it is internalized, and any learning is a good thing! What I'd be more interested in, is how many people benefitted from his edits? Thousands? Millions?

I always thought not being able to is Wikipedia as a source was a bit silly, but somewhat understandable. Lots of friends used the sources Wikipedia cited, and I see no issue in that.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 24th, 2019 at 6:13:52 AM permalink

Yeah, his is at his parents' house.

How about you, AZD? Do you see the liberal slant of Wiki, as I do? And the damage from a whole generation treating it as gospel?

I don't see a ton of slant but maybe some. More PC than liberal. They have cleaned it up from 15 years ago when it was so bad it was declared not a citeable source. Now it is footnoted to death.

Most of what I read on there is obscure stuff, it is where I learned about the Northwest Angle to name one. I love reading that kind of stuff and have had weird jobs with lots of downtime the last 15 years or so, giving me plenty of downtime to burrow and GOPHER.

I have fixed a few minor things. Mostly for a dying mall near where I grew up that was a mecca for the dead mall fans out there. Once to add an interim president of my old college when a buddy complained it was not updated yet, hours after it happened. My claim to fame that day.

This kind of guy I file under "confirmed bachelor." I put myself in that group. It includes men like Tesla and the Wright Brothers. Certain guys with above-average intelligence and zero desire to have a family. Your energies go to other pursuits. You have time for them and you do not have a woman nagging you to spend your time on something else.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
April 24th, 2019 at 6:34:57 AM permalink

you think this guy isnt getting paid on the down-low to alter facts for a website used by that many people? ha
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 24th, 2019 at 6:46:39 AM permalink
Quote: heatmap

you think this guy isnt getting paid on the down-low to alter facts for a website used by that many people? ha

Not really
If he could alter facts, he could be rich, real rich. $cientology has millions for anybody that can alter the wiki scientology entry with lying $cientology propaganda.
$cientology is banned from updating Wiki. They don't want the truth out there. They hate Wikipedia because they cant control it.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 24th, 2019 at 8:16:54 AM permalink

Works on Wikipedia for three hours a day.... that's less than most people watch TV or play video games.

Has a full-time day job working for U.S. Customs... named one of the most 25 influential people on the Internet...

"...My mother grew up in the Soviet Union ... So I'm very conscious of what, what it can mean to make knowledge free, to make information free"

Sounds like this guy has more of a life than half the people on this forum.

What's the problem here?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
darkoz
April 24th, 2019 at 8:30:58 AM permalink

EB on WOV , over 22k posts. OMG. Get. A. Life.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 24th, 2019 at 8:32:40 AM permalink
I think you just uncovered the tip of the iceberg TigerWu. Russian trolls may be significantly influencing Wikipedia, seems like there could be an investigation.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 8:40:01 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I don't see a ton of slant but maybe some. More PC than liberal. They have cleaned it up from 15 years ago when it was so bad it was declared not a citeable source. Now it is footnoted to death.

Here's one way they do it. Here is a lovely picture of communist Daniel Ortega, the blood-thirsty murderer who still runs Nicaragua after all these years, with a big smile on his face. This is the picture used by Wiki. Compare it to the picture of Samoza, whom they start off by calling a dictator, an outright lie. Let me tell you, if he was a dictator he would not have been overthrown. I can't believe it is almost 40 years ago Nicaragua was handed to the communists. Seems like yesterday. Huge news down there recently, but nothing on MSNBC. Typical. Fake news network.

https://i.imgur.com/4Ulns4i.jpg
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2019 at 8:46:25 AM permalink
Up is down and sideways is straight ahead. Who was it that handed over Nicaragua? The same people that lost China?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 8:54:00 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Up is down and sideways is straight ahead. Who was it that handed over Nicaragua? The same people that lost China?

Frankly, yes. The US State Dept, under Carter. Nicaragua was not defeated by a superior Sandinista force, they ran out of ammunition because Carter had a ship loaded with arms turned around. Israel had sent it to help fight the communists. Nicaragua fell to communism because they ran out of bullets. Thanks to Jimmy Carter and Warren Christopher. Ooops, nothing in Wiki about that. Imagine.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
odiousgambit
April 24th, 2019 at 9:08:02 AM permalink

Here's one way they do it. Here is a lovely picture of communist Daniel Ortega, the blood-thirsty murderer who still runs Nicaragua after all these years, with a big smile on his face. This is the picture used by Wiki. Compare it to the picture of Samoza, whom they start off by calling a dictator, an outright lie. Let me tell you, if he was a dictator he would not have been overthrown. I can't believe it is almost 40 years ago Nicaragua was handed to the communists. Seems like yesterday. Huge news down there recently, but nothing on MSNBC. Typical. Fake news network.

https://i.imgur.com/4Ulns4i.jpg

What picture of Ortega did you want them to use? I just googled him and he looks like a normal person in pretty much every single picture.

And the picture of Samoza on Wikipedia.... also has a big smile on his face, even bigger than Ortega's.

I don't understand what you're getting at here.
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2019 at 9:10:58 AM permalink
So a ship with weapons from Israel would have saved the country, but the millions the U.S. gave the Contras couldn't?
A family runs a country with an iron fist for almost fifty years but it's not a dictatorship. The international community made Somoza a pariah after they stole most of the aid sent to the country after the horrendous earthquake in the early 1970s, but he wasn't a dictator. Why would a Central American government be needing help from a middle eastern one, rather than from its neighbors? The neighbors they had fifty years to forge deep relationships with.
What am I missing? Was he nice to his dog? Keep the trains running on time?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 24th, 2019 at 9:14:16 AM permalink

Frankly, yes. The US State Dept, under Carter. Nicaragua was not defeated by a superior Sandinista force, they ran out of ammunition because Carter had a ship loaded with arms turned around. Israel had sent it to help fight the communists. Nicaragua fell to communism because they ran out of bullets. Thanks to Jimmy Carter and Warren Christopher. Ooops, nothing in Wiki about that. Imagine.

From the Wiki page on the Nicaraguan Revolution:

Quote:

This led to international condemnation of the regime and in 1978 the administration of U.S. president Jimmy Carter cut off aid to the Somoza regime due to its human rights violations (Boland Amendment). In response, Somoza lifted the state of siege in order to continue receiving aid.

From the Wiki page on Jimmy Carter's Presidency

Quote:

The Carter administration ended support to the historically U.S.-backed Somoza regime in Nicaragua and directed aid to the new Sandinista National Liberation Front government that assumed power after Somoza's overthrow. Carter also cut back or terminated military aid to Augusto Pinochet of Chile, Ernesto Geisel of Brazil, and Jorge Rafael Videla of Argentina, all of whom he criticized for human rights violations.

Haha.... What's with this bizarre anti-Wikipedia rant you've started here?
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2019 at 9:17:52 AM permalink
Facts are dumb.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 9:18:56 AM permalink

So a ship with weapons from Israel would have saved the country, but the millions the U.S. gave the Contras couldn't?
A family runs a country with an iron fist for almost fifty years but it's not a dictatorship. The international community made Somoza a pariah after they stole most of the aid sent to the country after the horrendous earthquake in the early 1970s.
What am I missing? Was he nice to his dog?

Bill, should I be surprised that you don't know what happened in Nicaragua? I'm sorry, I have to run right now. I have to finish my coin-in to earn bounceback for June. But like Jesus, I'll be back.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
djatc
April 24th, 2019 at 9:20:41 AM permalink
I love the fact that we can edit Wikipedia articles. I have won many bets by editing Wikipedia to match my action.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 9:21:02 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Haha.... What's with this bizarre anti-Wikipedia rant you've started here?

Viva Pinochet.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 9:22:34 AM permalink

I have to run right now. I have to finish my coin-in to earn bounceback for June. .

Omg get a life
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2019 at 9:26:54 AM permalink
You claim a government run for fifty years by a family that stole at least 400 million dollars( in 1960s dollars) wasn't a dictatorship.
But I don't know what went on there. Please edgeucate me. Those liberal Professors of Military Science at RIT evidently filled my head with nonsense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 24th, 2019 at 9:30:02 AM permalink

Bill, should I be surprised that you don't know what happened in Nicaragua? ...

If what you know can be backed up by reference, you can post it there. When you post claims here, references would be nice too.

Quote:

But like Jesus, I'll be back.

Not the best thing to cite if you mean 'timely', but then again, maybe we aren't to hold our breath.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2019 at 9:30:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I love the fact that we can edit Wikipedia articles. I have won many bets by editing Wikipedia to match my action.

Why bother with wiki? This site is great for picking up the latest alternative facts.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
Minty
April 24th, 2019 at 3:15:07 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

There's no "bruh thats messed up" button here so I'll drop a thank you
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 24th, 2019 at 3:39:22 PM permalink
I like seeing how long my edits can stay up. My friend had one up for a long time, and it’s funny when people referenced it.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 6:14:11 PM permalink

A family runs a country with an iron fist for almost fifty years but it's not a dictatorship. The international community made Somoza a pariah after they stole most of the aid sent to the country after the horrendous earthquake in the early 1970s, but he wasn't a dictator. Why would a Central American government be needing help from a middle eastern one, rather than from its neighbors? The neighbors they had fifty years to forge deep relationships with.
What am I missing? Was he nice to his dog? Keep the trains running on time?

I could be wrong, but I think I told you this before. Somoza was our best friend in the hemisphere, went to school in the United States, West Point, was extremely pro-America. The system they set up was to mimic our own system, division of power, three branches, etc. This "dictator" gave them complete freedom of press, freedom to assemble, etc. Their press was similiar to the fake-news press that attacks Trump every day, that's what Chamorro and their press did. The country was under attack by Soviet-backed communists for years. The press backed the communists and attacked Somoza, just like our own press backs the communists here and attacks Trump constantly.

Fast-forward to Jimmy Carter and his phony "human rights campaign". Carter did the same thing to Rhodesia, Nicaragua, Iran, and Taiwan. These four anti-communist and pro-western countries would rightfully throw a murderer in jail and the "world community" (communists) would cry "political prisoners", "human rights abuse", all bullshit. See, there's a big difference how Somoza or the Shah of Iran treated prisoners (murderers) and how their successors treated prisoners. The Shah put criminals in jail. The Sandanistas just KILLED their opposition. There were no political prisoners under Ortega and Khomeni, they put a bullet in your head if they don't like what you say.

And you still seem confused about the so-called Contras. Pretty sure I explained this to you before. The United States, under Reagan, helped the WRONG CONTRAS, duh. They helped Eden Pastora, a "contra", who was an ex-Sandanista. Ran around with a Che-Guevarra-like beret with a communist star on it. HE WAS A COMMUNIST. Then they helped Calero, the CIA-backed neutralizer. This is why the country is STILL communist after all these years. The Contra faction that was betrayed by us was Bermudez. The true anti-communist.

We did this crap in El Salvador also. Reagan backed Napolean Duarte, green on the outside but red on the inside. Duarte had previously been running mate of Guermo Ungo, the leader of the terrorist Farabundo Marti communists. Reagan backed the WRONG GUYS. That's how our State Dept rolls. And it has betrayed America's real friends and helped her enemies for at least a century.

And finally, (I'm tired from playing video poker all day), the communists were invading Nicaragua from Costa Rica with the help of the Soviets and Cubans. Carter and the pro-communist "world community" put pressure on Somoza, and like the Shah of Iran was forced to release from jail the very animals who eventually overthrew them. Toward the end, the border was overflowing with communist forces and Carter had blocked arms to the National Guard. Israel sent a ship to them filled with ammunition. Carter pressured them to make it turn around. It never docked. The National Guard ran out of bullets. The communists rolled in with no fight, locked everyone up and murdered thousands. Thank you Jimmy Carter. Under Somoza there was immense freedoms in Nicaragua. Sandanistas take over, bye bye freedom, hello COMMUNIST dictatorship and genuine human rights abuse.

Just the facts, man. Look it up on Wiki. lol
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 6:22:02 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Omg get a life

That was funny.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 6:26:00 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

If what you know can be backed up by reference, you can post it there. When you post claims here, references would be nice too.

I'm the reference. I'm a walking Wikipedia.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 6:32:02 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

From the Wiki page on the Nicaraguan Revolution:

Quote:

This led to international condemnation of the regime and in 1978 the administration of U.S. president Jimmy Carter cut off aid to the Somoza regime due to its human rights violations (Boland Amendment). In response, Somoza lifted the state of siege in order to continue receiving aid.

By the way, we blocked all help to our friend Somoza. As SOON as Nicaragua fell to the communists, Congress voted to give them $27 million. True story. I just remembered it. Look it up.
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2019 at 8:02:24 PM permalink

I could be wrong, but I think I told you this before. Somoza was our best friend in the hemisphere, went to school in the United States, West Point, was extremely pro-America. The system they set up was to mimic our own system, division of power, three branches, etc. This "dictator" gave them complete freedom of press, freedom to assemble, etc. Their press was similiar to the fake-news press that attacks Trump every day, that's what Chamorro and their press did. The country was under attack by Soviet-backed communists for years. The press backed the communists and attacked Somoza, just like our own press backs the communists here and attacks Trump constantly.

Fast-forward to Jimmy Carter and his phony "human rights campaign". Carter did the same thing to Rhodesia, Nicaragua, Iran, and Taiwan. These four anti-communist and pro-western countries would rightfully throw a murderer in jail and the "world community" (communists) would cry "political prisoners", "human rights abuse", all bullshit. See, there's a big difference how Somoza or the Shah of Iran treated prisoners (murderers) and how their successors treated prisoners. The Shah put criminals in jail. The Sandanistas just KILLED their opposition. There were no political prisoners under Ortega and Khomeni, they put a bullet in your head if they don't like what you say.

And you still seem confused about the so-called Contras. Pretty sure I explained this to you before. The United States, under Reagan, helped the WRONG CONTRAS, duh. They helped Eden Pastora, a "contra", who was an ex-Sandanista. Ran around with a Che-Guevarra-like beret with a communist star on it. HE WAS A COMMUNIST. Then they helped Calero, the CIA-backed neutralizer. This is why the country is STILL communist after all these years. The Contra faction that was betrayed by us was Bermudez. The true anti-communist.

We did this crap in El Salvador also. Reagan backed Napolean Duarte, green on the outside but red on the inside. Duarte had previously been running mate of Guermo Ungo, the leader of the terrorist Farabundo Marti communists. Reagan backed the WRONG GUYS. That's how our State Dept rolls. And it has betrayed America's real friends and helped her enemies for at least a century.

And finally, (I'm tired from playing video poker all day), the communists were invading Nicaragua from Costa Rica with the help of the Soviets and Cubans. Carter and the pro-communist "world community" put pressure on Somoza, and like the Shah of Iran was forced to release from jail the very animals who eventually overthrew them. Toward the end, the border was overflowing with communist forces and Carter had blocked arms to the National Guard. Israel sent a ship to them filled with ammunition. Carter pressured them to make it turn around. It never docked. The National Guard ran out of bullets. The communists rolled in with no fight, locked everyone up and murdered thousands. Thank you Jimmy Carter. Under Somoza there was immense freedoms in Nicaragua. Sandanistas take over, bye bye freedom, hello COMMUNIST dictatorship and genuine human rights abuse.

Just the facts, man. Look it up on Wiki. lol

You amuse me. Most people usually include the Pope and his Jewish bankers in these conspiracies.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 24th, 2019 at 10:29:11 PM permalink

You amuse me. Most people usually include the Pope and his Jewish bankers in these conspiracies.

I still think I told you about the different Contras before and about how the National Guard ran out of ammunition. But this time you "acted" like you were in the blind so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Either you didn't listen the first time or you truly don't know anything about Nicaragua. Next time there won't be a next time.
billryan
billryan
April 25th, 2019 at 7:27:21 AM permalink

I still think I told you about the different Contras before and about how the National Guard ran out of ammunition. But this time you "acted" like you were in the blind so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Either you didn't listen the first time or you truly don't know anything about Nicaragua. Next time there won't be a next time.

When"America's bestest friend" fled, he and his family took four billion dollars with them. Looted from the treasury of one of the world's poorest countries. Posting nonsense and simply repeating it may work in some places. Just not here. manga.
bobbartop
bobbartop
April 25th, 2019 at 7:56:56 AM permalink

When"America's bestest friend" fled, he and his family took four billion dollars with them. Looted from the treasury of one of the world's poorest countries. Posting nonsense and simply repeating it may work in some places. Just not here. manga.

Dodge. I wrote several paragraphs and all you do is dodge. People can see that. Even people who don't like what I say, with any objectivity at all, can see that you're an artful dodger. At least that's how you have engaged me on this board. Maybe you handle softballs more comfortably. Safe spot.
  • Jump to: