EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 418
February 19th, 2019 at 4:02:02 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Here you go, folks. Pretty sure this is what EvenBob is talking about.

David P. Gaylord, sentenced to time served, five years supervised release, and over $40,000 in fines. Sentenced specifically for loan application fraud, to include lying on credit card applications.

It's not the one I saw but it will do.

Gaylord engaged in an escalating series of attempts to qualify for credit cards by puffing up his income. In April 2006, he allegedly told Advanta that he earned $90,000 a year. In August 2006, he allegedly told Family First Federal Credit Union that he earned about $110,000 a year. In September 2006, he allegedly told Bank of America that his total household income was $122,000 a year.

Gaylord, now 50, and at one time a real estate agent, earned "substantially less" than any of those amounts, according to the indictment.

A bankruptcy filing appears to be related to the case. According to records on file at the United States Bankruptcy Court for the western district of New York, Gaylord filed for Chapter 7 (debt liquidation) bankruptcy on Jan. 16, 2008.

He claimed assets of $135,058.72 and debts of $341,118.86. According to the filing, he owed $17,000 on the Advanta credit card, $57,141 to Bank of America, $12,588 to the Family First Credit Union, $85,312 to various other credit card companies, and $49,024 related to debts owed to Wells Fargo bank.

Lee, the prosecutor, said she couldn't comment on any specifics involved in the genesis of the case.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
February 19th, 2019 at 4:34:45 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Thank you, I am always looking for these kinds advantages.

My favorite here was an airline called Airtrans (now Southwest):

"AirTran is doing a promotion with Wendy's here in the US. Collect 32 medium or Biggie sized cups to get a one way AirTran A+ reward ticket. Collect 64, and you get a round trip ticket."

There was no limit. You could just go to Wendy's and by the cups without a drink for about $1.29. The big money was buying them for about $0.25 each on Ebay. Round-trip tickets for less than $20.

My favourite so far has been when a bank over here gave 5 Qantas miles per transaction on a regular debit card linked to a bank account. Didnít specify a minimum transaction size. Account closed by the bank 2 years and 190,000 1c payments later (on a friends phone bill which he reimbursed me for) after Iíd racked up close to 1million miles for an out of pocket cost of $0

Enjoy:

https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/threads/bankwest-transaction-account-general-discussion.59199/
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 149
February 19th, 2019 at 4:51:40 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Huh? You think running up cc debt and going bankrupt is punishable by going to jail??

You got that from my statement?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 8
February 19th, 2019 at 5:22:42 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

You got that from my statement?

Yes. It was the juxtaposition of spending $150k and going bankrupt with buying a gun and killing someone. Just reread your post and will double down on my read. Guessing you didnít intend it that way from your post above.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
nastya.mitsyak
nastya.mitsyak
  • Threads: 0
March 13th, 2019 at 2:45:32 AM permalink
Hi, guys
As for me, I don't even understand what's the point in lying to take credit, when there are a lot of small companies who can help you.
Also, all these bonuses in stores, when buying a ticket, etc really help when you need it.
I used credit only a few times when I hardly needed to pay my bills and didn't have a job. I just found on the Internet something like webmoneyloans and get my money in 1 or 2 days.
That's not a promotion, but a fact - better choose something like that and give it back fast then take credit and pay big fees.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 207
March 13th, 2019 at 3:20:49 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Here you go, folks. Pretty sure this is what EvenBob is talking about.

David P. Gaylord, sentenced to time served, five years supervised release, and over $40,000 in fines. Sentenced specifically for loan application fraud, to include lying on credit card applications.

Illegal as per 18 U.S. Code § 1014, and punishable by up to 30 years in prison and $1,000,000 fine.

Based on the link Trump should spend a long time in prison but he probably wont

The key word is "knowingly". Small exaggerations probably will never be prosecuted

• Jump to: