Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 6527
January 31st, 2019 at 12:41:33 PM permalink
Has anyone had any friends who hit it big on a lottery?

I was in a gas station on Long Island and this guy comes in, buys an $8 pack of smokes, gives the clerk a twenty, says thank you and walks away. Clerk sees that I observed the whole thing and tells me he sold the guy a $3 million dollar lotto ticket and he comes in a few times a week and tips him $10.

The only person I know who won was a bartender who was at a horrible point in his life when he won. He'd dropped a keg on his foot and never had it looked at, continuing to work and stand on it for weeks. In the end, he had three toes amputated which set him on a serious down hill struggle. He started drinking too much, and was a really nasty drunk. He won a couple of million and immediately went into rehab. We kept hearing he was still in rehab but it tuned out he transferred to a clinic in Florida and completely left NY behind. Left his girlfriend, his two grown kids and everyone without a word. I used to see his son, who had been close to his father but now has nothing good to say. Evidently, he didn't share his winnings with anyone, including his girlfriend that he'd lived with off and on for over a decade.

One of my neighbors, who I didn't know at all, won $3 million over twenty years and was quoted as saying the $53,000 a year might let her buy better Holiday presents but whose life changes over $50,000 a year. That was about thirty years ago, when 50K had a lot more buying power.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 156
  • Posts: 8174
January 31st, 2019 at 12:57:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard



As I mentioned before, here is a good lottery story that was on 60 Minutes last Sunday, A retired couple explain exactly how they used math skills and a lottery loophole to win $26 million in 9 years.




Said he saw the flaw in the game in 3 minutes of looking at it. 26 million later...
prisoner of gravity
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 11654
January 31st, 2019 at 1:20:06 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Cash For Life has a 1 in 8 odds of winning. That doesn't seem bad at all until you realize that you are most likely only going to win about $1 extra 95 percent of the time.



Glad this got reopened, because I wanted to ask this:

Nathan, youíve been here a few years, now itís time to make your friend Mission146 proud. No cheating!

If the overall odds of the ticket winning are, in fact, one in eight AND of all winning tickets, only 5% win more than $1.00 extra what are the overall odds or probability (your choice) of one ticket winning more than $1 extra?
Vultures can't be choosers.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
Joined: Aug 12, 2018
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 177
January 31st, 2019 at 2:46:52 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Has anyone had any friends who hit it big on a lottery?

I was in a gas station on Long Island and this guy comes in, buys an $8 pack of smokes, gives the clerk a twenty, says thank you and walks away. Clerk sees that I observed the whole thing and tells me he sold the guy a $3 million dollar lotto ticket and he comes in a few times a week and tips him $10.

The only person I know who won was a bartender who was at a horrible point in his life when he won. He'd dropped a keg on his foot and never had it looked at, continuing to work and stand on it for weeks. In the end, he had three toes amputated which set him on a serious down hill struggle. He started drinking too much, and was a really nasty drunk. He won a couple of million and immediately went into rehab. We kept hearing he was still in rehab but it tuned out he transferred to a clinic in Florida and completely left NY behind. Left his girlfriend, his two grown kids and everyone without a word. I used to see his son, who had been close to his father but now has nothing good to say. Evidently, he didn't share his winnings with anyone, including his girlfriend that he'd lived with off and on for over a decade.

One of my neighbors, who I didn't know at all, won $3 million over twenty years and was quoted as saying the $53,000 a year might let her buy better Holiday presents but whose life changes over $50,000 a year. That was about thirty years ago, when 50K had a lot more buying power.



As a matter of fact, I have. My wife's cousin's husband won $1,000,000 with a scratch off. They bought a new car and then spent the rest on CD's at the bank.

I told my wife that she should have been closer to her side of the family.
Last edited by: Lovecomps on Jan 31, 2019
The best things in life are not free.
FinsRule
FinsRule 
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 3533
January 31st, 2019 at 4:03:51 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

All right, I reopened this thread after re-titling it "Lottery Discussion." This should be a venue to discuss advantage plays in the lottery and general lottery rules and mathematics. It is absolutely prohibited to post lottery picks here and will be punishable with a suspension. I have a feeling this thread will fly off the rails again, in which case my finger is on "close" button and ready to click on it.

As I mentioned before, here is a good lottery story that was on 60 Minutes last Sunday, A retired couple explain exactly how they used math skills and a lottery loophole to win $26 million in 9 years.



They didnít just use math. They also had access to lottery terminals. In my mind, that makes what they were doing slightly unfair. The same sort of thing goes on in horse racing with big players having faster and direct tote access.

This couple says there were no victims, but there were. Just people who lost a very little bit of ev.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1164
  • Posts: 19505
January 31st, 2019 at 4:46:03 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

They didnít just use math. They also had access to lottery terminals. In my mind, that makes what they were doing slightly unfair. The same sort of thing goes on in horse racing with big players having faster and direct tote access.

This couple says there were no victims, but there were. Just people who lost a very little bit of ev.



Can you expand on that? They didn't mention that on 60 Minutes. How did the lottery terminals help?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 43
  • Posts: 2824
January 31st, 2019 at 4:48:17 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can you expand on that? They didn't mention that on 60 Minutes. How did the lottery terminals help?


I imagine itís the only way you could buy as many tickets as they did.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 5364
Thanks for this post from:
FTB
January 31st, 2019 at 4:58:02 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

In two of my local Casinos, a Roulette game is $2 minimum. The Maximum is $500. A $500 straight up bet on say number 20 is a payout of $17,500 before taxes. A Mega Millions ticket is $2. A straight number and the MB say 2,8,9,30,32 mb 10 has paid out 1.6 billion before taxes. Obviously 1.6 billion before taxes is a lot more than just $17,500 before taxes. There is no way that Roulette is the better game to play.



I distinctly remember BBB admonishing Nathan from giving horrendous gambling advice as if she is providing a fact. The above should result in a suspension, hopefully Martingaled....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 5364
January 31st, 2019 at 5:01:43 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Has anyone had any friends who hit it big on a lottery?



I had a friend who won a $6 million prize. I think he got $2 million or so after the discount for prize immediately and taxes. He is a super nice guy, but was already making 7 figures a year or just under it. Not life changing at all.
FinsRule
FinsRule 
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 3533
January 31st, 2019 at 5:02:00 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can you expand on that? They didn't mention that on 60 Minutes. How did the lottery terminals help?



Itís been a couple months since I read the whole story, but I think they paid off a lottery vendor to allow them to sit in the back room of the convenience store and just print ticket after ticket. I think there might have been hours restrictions they violated too.

  • Jump to: