smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 86
May 17th, 2018 at 1:50:59 PM permalink
There's a free mobile app in which you have to answer 12 trivia questions correctly. Winners split a prize pool of typically $5,000 (though sometimes they have winner-take-all games of $20,000). The winners get on average $2-$4, though I've seen people win $0.69 and $84. It depends on how tough the questions are and how many are playing.

Anyway, the first two questions are gimmes—like the first question of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" I can get 7 others correct on average. You have to choose among 3 provided answers within 10 seconds. So if I get 9 questions correct and have to guess on 3 questions, would my odds of winning (assuming the answers are evenly randomized) be (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/3)=.037 or about 4 times in 100 games if I just randomly tapped the answers I don't know?

I think taking "educated guesses" actually would work against me, because some answers "sound" true. For example, a question today asked which body part has a cuticle, medulla, and something else. I guessed "nail," but the correct answer is "hair."

It's a fun game, and I've been tuning in lately, but there's a lot of window dressing around the 12 trivia questions. Should I say the name of the app?
LotCooler
LotCooler
  • Threads: 1
Thanked by
smoothgrh
May 17th, 2018 at 1:55:47 PM permalink
I know what app you're taking about and i have also found that educated guessing is difficult. I've found that the last 4 or 5 questions are meant to trick you. So the "educated" portion of the guess is where you choose the value that isn't the most obvious.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 17th, 2018 at 2:42:36 PM permalink
I started playing about a week ago and I think it’s fun. So far I’ve gotten to the 8th question twice. They definitely get tough around that level.

I’ve not yet seen the winner take all. How does that work ? They keep asking questions until all but 1 person is remaining ?
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
May 17th, 2018 at 4:00:00 PM permalink
I've been playing this for a few months, and have won three times (for a grand total of nine dollars). It's pretty fun, and the sunday night one can be worth a lot. A couple of weeks ago winners got $550 each.

As far as winner takes all, yes, until one person remains. I've seen twice where two people were down to the last question and neither answered correctly, so it rolled over.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
  • Threads: 3
May 17th, 2018 at 4:59:02 PM permalink
I believe there is a way to include each other as "friends" and we can see each other's answers. Not sure how much of an advantage that is with only 10 seconds, but it could be worth forming a WOV team.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
smoothgrh
May 17th, 2018 at 6:01:47 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

...Anyway, the first two questions are gimmes—like the first question of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" I can get 7 others correct on average. You have to choose among 3 provided answers within 10 seconds. So if I get 9 questions correct and have to guess on 3 questions, would my odds of winning (assuming the answers are evenly randomized) be (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/3)=.037 or about 4 times in 100 games if I just randomly tapped the answers I don't know?...

Yes--I agree with your calculation of (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/3)=.037 for the probability of guessing three questions correctly.

By the way, aren't there two of these cash trivia apps?
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 17th, 2018 at 9:47:03 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

Yes--I agree with your calculation of (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/3)=.037 for the probability of guessing three questions correctly.

By the way, aren't there two of these cash trivia apps?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another one. Mrs. smooth informed me that the one I’m playing is the “hot” new app.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 19th, 2018 at 7:20:47 PM permalink
Yesterday I got the first 11 questions correct, but flubbed the final question. The correct answer was—ironically for me on this forum—Jennifer Lopez. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a random guess and chose Eminem instead (which performer simultaneously had a #1 song and #1 movie?).

But then, I actually did randomly guess on one in which I had no clue and got that one correct. Oh well, the $6.84 wasn't mine to have.

I'll try my best to randomly guess and see how often I win out of 100 games.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
May 19th, 2018 at 8:33:41 PM permalink
What's it called?
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
Thanked by
smoothgrh
May 19th, 2018 at 10:06:25 PM permalink
Quote: GlenG

What's it called?

A Google search for "free trivia apps" + "12 questions" indicate they are probably referring to HQ Trivia.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
May 19th, 2018 at 11:16:31 PM permalink
My guess was 'Cash Show'.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
May 20th, 2018 at 12:31:35 AM permalink
Anyone have a referral #?
Venthus
Venthus
May 20th, 2018 at 12:41:35 PM permalink
8 minutes, 9 questions in, 20 cents. Had to quickly search for the answer on two of them, and I missed punching in the last question by a split second. (For extra fun: My search result was useless.)
EdCollins
EdCollins
Thanked by
beachbumbabssmoothgrh
May 20th, 2018 at 6:38:33 PM permalink
Well, I downloaded the HQ Trivia app, just to see what the game was like. My first game ended just a few minutes ago. There were 1.9 million others also playing the game. 15 questions were asked, and all those who correctly survived and answers all 15 questions would split the pot, which was $100,000.00.

I believe there's just one game on Saturday and Sunday and apparently two games each day during the week. The prize fund for tomorrow's game (at noon, PST) is only $5,000.00, I believe.

For tonight's game, if you answered the first five questions correctly, we were told we would be given an "extra life" in tomorrow's game. (Meaning, we could get a question wrong tomorrow (as long as it wasn't the final question), and not be eliminated. It sounds as if this isn't done all the time, but I did get the impression it's normal to give away extras and free things.

I was able to answer the first five questions correctly (they weren't too hard), so I guess I'll be playing tomorrow. However, I blew it on the very next question, Question #6. It was something about which plant was toxic to cats. Despite having two cats of my own, I did not know the answer, and guessed incorrectly.

There is NO time at all to use Google (or any other search engine) for ANY of the questions. At least not for me. The ten second countdown begins the moment the host begins reading each question. You literally have just two or three seconds to comprehend the question and select your answer before your time runs out. (Oh, it's multiple choice and there are always three answers to choose from.)

I believe there were 275 people who were able to answer all 15 questions correctly, and thus they each won $363.63.

If you sign up and if you want to use my username (EdwardCollins) in the referral box, it will give me another free life in a future game. If so, thanks in advance. That's got to be the key to winning. It must be a big advantage to have an extra life when playing this game.
EdCollins
EdCollins
May 20th, 2018 at 6:42:25 PM permalink
Ah, I now see my description of the game somewhat repeated some of what the first few posters said. My apologies.
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 10
May 21st, 2018 at 2:03:13 AM permalink
Or you can use my name (Matt1735) and I'll get extra lives .... :)

I've made it to Question 11 twice.... missed both times.... one time I knew question 12 and the other time I did not.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 21st, 2018 at 12:04:16 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

However, I blew it on the very next question, Question #6. It was something about which plant was toxic to cats. Despite having two cats of my own, I did not know the answer, and guessed incorrectly.

Though we don't have a cat, my 12-year-old son somehow knew the answer: Tiger Lily is poisonous to cats.

If you have someone else with quick Googling skills, you might be able to confirm one answer over another. My wife was able to do that once.
Venthus
Venthus
May 21st, 2018 at 12:15:03 PM permalink
Basically all lilies, aloe, and asparagus ferns ("air plants") are toxic to cats and dogs, and are fairly common in homes.

I'm pretty fast and can get a search in with about one and a half seconds to spare... the problem comes in if the answer isn't immediately obvious on the page (one issue was actual author's name vs pen name).
TheoHuxtable
TheoHuxtable
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
smoothgrh
May 21st, 2018 at 1:17:04 PM permalink
hqtriviaarchive.com tracks all the questions and is like a baby version of j-archive.com
Views are my own...
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 21st, 2018 at 2:34:42 PM permalink
Quote: TheoHuxtable

hqtriviaarchive.com tracks all the questions and is like a baby version of j-archive.com

Not for nothing, but I think your dad got a bad rap.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
August 20th, 2020 at 1:43:23 PM permalink
I finally won on HQ Trivia last night! I’m 32 cents richer!

It was Disney animated movie trivia, so it was easier than most other nights.

The final question was: in which Disney classic can Mel Blanc’s voice briefly be heard? Fantasia, Pinocchio, or Snow White?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
August 20th, 2020 at 6:29:33 PM permalink

The final question was: in which Disney classic can Mel Blanc’s voice briefly be heard? Fantasia, Pinocchio, or Snow White?

I'd guess Snow White. I could see him voicing one of the dwarfs. It's fairly easy to rule out Fantasia, because that didn't have any dialogue.

Speaking of online trivia, I play Quiz Planet on Facebook. If anyone wants to challenge me, let me know.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
TinMan
TinMan
Thanked by
smoothgrh
August 21st, 2020 at 6:46:57 AM permalink
That’s a good point about Snow White. Mel Blanc did many voices.

This sounds macabre, but it’s worth it: Google Mel Blanc’s tombstone.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
August 21st, 2020 at 10:20:48 AM permalink

From fandom.com:
For Disney's 1940 animated feature Pinocchio, prolific voice actor Mel Blanc had recorded several lines of dialogue for Honest John's sidekick Gideon the Cat. According to one interview, Blanc had given him a drunken sort of voice and Walt Disney had disapproved of it, subsequently deciding that the character should instead be mute.

In the final film, all that remained of Blanc's recordings were three hiccups; it is not currently known if any of the unheard recordings still exist in some form or if the reel was destroyed.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
August 22nd, 2020 at 6:31:19 PM permalink
Question from today’s HQ Trivia:

What is a main difference between the flags of Luxembourg and the Netherlands?

Crest
Order of colors
Shades of colors

Shades of colors
  • Jump to: