FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 18th, 2018 at 5:08:47 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Thanks for the corrections and additions, FleaStiff!

You're welcome.
Though it seems I reversed the sequence of errors on those oxygen generators. The FO signed off on "Empty" oxygen generators that had originally been tagged as "Expired" oxygen generators. In fact, most were full and most lacked safety caps.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 18th, 2018 at 5:08:47 AM permalink
Darn this mouse.

Anyway, the point remains that in an industry focused on safety it is necessary to focus on those who shave away those safety margins even though their planes still land without incident.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 18th, 2018 at 6:06:45 AM permalink
Karma is a bitch. I talk about our great safety record, specifically bring up the incredibly rare occurrence of a window busting and sucking soneone out, and how important maintenance is.

And Southwest happens the next day.

Getting back into ATC mode brings back the "God watches every sparrow fall" mindset that's a heavy responsibility and trap in the job. (If a controller doesn't feel that way, though, that's a DANGEROUS controller: it just has a backlash to your ego.)

Anyway, I feel karmically responsible(if that's even a word). Shutting up now.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
April 18th, 2018 at 10:16:17 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

...Anyway, I feel karmically responsible(if that's even a word). Shutting up now.

One of my favorite quotes from the Big Bang Theory:

Sheldon: "Well this is what someone who doesn't understand the law of large numbers is would consider a coincidence."

You understand the law of large numbers babs, had ZERO to do with you. If that were the case then the MAJORITY ;-) of america would be typing out every day "Trump has never had a heart attack!"
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
April 20th, 2018 at 2:07:56 PM permalink
And speaking of crappy airlines:

Sun Country Airlines Leaves Over 200 Passengers Stuck in Mexico, Senator Demands Answers

http://www.newsweek.com/sun-country-airlines-leaves-over-200-passengers-stuck-mexico-senator-demands-888819
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 20th, 2018 at 2:27:29 PM permalink
The airline made the correct decision.
Bite the bullet and do not escalate the problem or let it propagate throughout the entire system.

Aircraft and pilot availability limits their response

Saying you are on your own but will receive full refunds is the best thing to do no matter how much it pisses off those two plane loads of passengers.

Bad for their image perhaps but still the right thing to do.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
April 20th, 2018 at 2:44:58 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

And speaking of crappy airlines:

Sun Country Airlines Leaves Over 200 Passengers Stuck in Mexico, Senator Demands Answers

http://www.newsweek.com/sun-country-airlines-leaves-over-200-passengers-stuck-mexico-senator-demands-888819

The old saying. "You got what you pay for". You want it cheap, you got shit service. Pay more for a more reliable airline .
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 20th, 2018 at 4:14:21 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The airline made the correct decision.

Saying you are on your own but will receive full refunds is the best thing to do no matter how much it pisses off those two plane loads of passengers.

Bad for their image perhaps but still the right thing to do.

I think the correct decision is to bite the bullet and help all those poor folks get tickets on other airlines. Surely that would have cost less than the bad publicity that this has generated for Sun Country.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 20th, 2018 at 5:28:14 PM permalink
Sun is an affiliate of Delta. There is no excuse for stranding those people, and I think the blame is going to fall squarely on Delta.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 20th, 2018 at 5:36:03 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Sun is an affiliate of Delta. There is no excuse for stranding those people, and I think the blame is going to fall squarely on Delta.

WHAT ? Maybe ? ? ? Not.

On December 14, 2017, The Davis Brothers announced they would be selling the airline to New York Based Apollo Global Management for an undisclosed amount. The airline will still be headquartered in Eagan, Minnesota lead by CEO Jude Bricker. This move is in hopes that Apollo's finances will allow the airline to "grow as it pleases".

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Country_Airlines
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2018 at 5:53:31 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

WHAT ? Maybe ? ? ? Not.

On December 14, 2017, The Davis Brothers announced they would be selling the airline to New York Based Apollo Global Management for an undisclosed amount. The airline will still be headquartered in Eagan, Minnesota lead by CEO Jude Bricker. This move is in hopes that Apollo's finances will allow the airline to "grow as it pleases".

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Country_Airlines

I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought they were part of Delta.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 20th, 2018 at 5:55:44 PM permalink
In fairness, there have been a lot of mergers, etc, of late. For example, ValuJet ( Everglades crash ) was purchased/merged into AIRTRAN quite a few years ago.
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2018 at 6:16:34 PM permalink
In my mind, I am seeing the Delta/Sun curbside check in sign at LGA. I may be misremembering or they may have just shared a kiosk.
I stopped flying Delta when they stopped flying through Dallas many years ago. Jet Blue came along with non-stops to everywhere I needed to go and had a kickass frequent flyer program so I broke with them and never went back.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
RogerKintRomes
May 2nd, 2018 at 10:06:12 AM permalink
I just survived another Allegiant flight. $38 each way with no extra fees. I will continue to fly these budget airlines until I fall from the sky.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
May 2nd, 2018 at 10:10:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I just survived another Allegiant flight. $38 each way with no extra fees. I will continue to fly these budget airlines until I fall from the sky.

It's generally the times/dates/no stops that gets me on these crap airlines rather than the price.

I just flew frontier and they have the worst seats I've ever seen, worse than Spirit. Literally like a plastic chair.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
May 2nd, 2018 at 10:31:27 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

It's generally the times/dates/no stops that gets me on these crap airlines rather than the price.

I just flew frontier and they have the worst seats I've ever seen, worse than Spirit. Literally like a plastic chair.

Same here.

I mainly only fly to Vegas and we've got three nonstop choices out of DTW: Southwest (1 nonstop per day), Delta (3-5 nonstops per day), Spirit (3 nonstops per day).

I'm 6 foot 1 and I find that SW planes have the most legroom, where my knees don't even touch the seat in front of me. Delta is hit or miss in the legroom department (although getting better). And I've only flown Spirit one time as a last minute desperate measure. Having read all the horror stories about Spirit's seats, I paid the extra $70 for the big front seat.

Once you add in all the extra fees (I always check my luggage), Spirit just as pricey as the other two airlines.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 2nd, 2018 at 2:01:53 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Well, you chances of falling from the sky on a full priced airline are pretty low and if you do crash, you actually have a pretty good chance of surviving that adventure. Ofcourse your chances a bit poorer on the Ultra Low Cost Carriers, but its a bit like the difference between the Pass Line at Craps and the Don't Pass line. You've got to go out four decimal places to notice any difference and one drink is liable to shift the percentages anyway.

Sun sent those leased planes back to Holland to meet contractual commitments on time. Also much of their revenue is from Charter Flights wherein its not really the passengers that choose the airline.

Spirit and luggage fees??? Try Spirit and FedEx instead.
  • Jump to: