onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
April 9th, 2018 at 3:47:22 PM permalink
What is the website that allows you to check flights for all cities and airlines?
I am a robot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 9th, 2018 at 3:51:54 PM permalink
Google itself does this if you type in a city pair.

Kayak is probably the one you're thinking of.

Travelocity and Orbitz also do that.

Some airlines, like Southwest, do not allow their fares to be quoted by third parties. You have to go to their website. Kayak may have a way around that.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
April 9th, 2018 at 5:32:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Google itself does this if you type in a city pair.

Kayak is probably the one you're thinking of.

Travelocity and Orbitz also do that.

Some airlines, like Southwest, do not allow their fares to be quoted by third parties. You have to go to their website. Kayak may have a way around that.

Last I checked. Kayak was not showing Southwest fares. They used to, but not anymore.

I recently was pricing flights to Vegas and wanted to see a calendar interface with the lowest price on that day for all airlines, and discovered fly.com. It seems to be doing that, and it is quoting Southwest fares.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
April 9th, 2018 at 5:38:09 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

What is the website that allows you to check flights for all cities and airlines?

Are you talking about booking a flight, or looking at flight statuses?

For booking, see BBB's post above.

For flight statuses and stuff, flightaware.com is a good one.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
April 9th, 2018 at 5:40:04 PM permalink
Where are you flying out of?

I would daily check Frontier Airlines..even though they nickel and dime you for everything (bags, seats are all separate costs, but there are tricks around it) its very cheap. They just made Vegas a hub recently, so i have seen some cheap cheap flights. They change their prices daily, and have coupon and discount codes all the time.

Once flew to St. Louis from Vegas. Payed like $60 round trip. Sat in a middle seat on back of the plane, so the seat was $0 charge. Luckily both trips, the window seats were unoccupied so i just moved to it. I also pack my stuff and clothes in a backpack, which is a free personal item, so i avoided bag charges.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
beachbumbabsonenickelmiracle
April 9th, 2018 at 5:40:41 PM permalink
Also, there is an app called Hopper that tracks flight prices. You enter your desired route and dates and it tracks the prices for all airlines (except Southwest) and will notify you when prices go down, if they think they will go down more, or if they think you should book now.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
April 9th, 2018 at 6:12:41 PM permalink
I've gotten the best results off of Hipmunk lately. They also have a sort-by-agony option, which balances price vs 4 layovers.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 10th, 2018 at 12:50:29 PM permalink
Thank you. There was another one people used to mention, can't remember which it was.
I am a robot.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 10th, 2018 at 1:20:00 PM permalink
https://matrix.itasoftware.com/
Takes some practice to learn, but it is great. Southwest and Allegiant need to be searched separately to get pricing.

As mentioned before, Google flights is good (Google owns ITA):
https://www.google.com/flights
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 20
April 10th, 2018 at 2:08:57 PM permalink
Quote: GlenG

I also pack my stuff and clothes in a backpack, which is a free personal item, so i avoided bag charges.

With so many airlines doing “Basic Economy” fares which is just like flying spirit or frontier, everybody needs to be careful when booking United, Delta, and American. I once was told my personal item (backpack) was too big, so I went to the bathroom and wore 3 pairs of underwear, socks, shirts, you name it, and made my backpack fit. Once I was in the plane, I took everything off and put them in my bag again.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
April 10th, 2018 at 4:48:01 PM permalink
Quote: SiegfriedRoy

With so many airlines doing “Basic Economy” fares which is just like flying spirit or frontier, everybody needs to be careful when booking United, Delta, and American. I once was told my personal item (backpack) was too big, so I went to the bathroom and wore 3 pairs of underwear, socks, shirts, you name it, and made my backpack fit. Once I was in the plane, I took everything off and put them in my bag again.

Most airlines have a policy saying if it fits under the seat in front of you, then it's considered a personal item. My mom works for an Airline, so I know all the tricks
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 10th, 2018 at 8:11:02 PM permalink
I did use Google to get a flight. Seemed all sites pretty much were identical, my only options affordable were Frontier and Spirit and that could be the reason. I guess 40-50% higher cost isn't so bad for a last minute booking, what can you do, could be worse.

It was still a panic. Google lists the prices, lowest the airline, so I go there. Magically, $390 becomes $525 or similar. We call the airline, they say, their seats are gone or going fast. They say the other sites have the seats.

Then to Orbitz from Google, I book it and wait. First try, they say try again. I try again, then the 4 seats are gone. It says go back to search results. Now, I'm thinking, WTF. What are the odds this is even real over some scheme? Kept trying, changed my departing flight to Spirit, the circle just spins. Before it stops, email confirmation. Made me worry I bought two seats somehow instead of one, but not the case.

This whole deal buying flights is a lot harder than it should be, naturally so the sellers can get more money by causing fear. Didn't seem much different than a pop-up promising a free iPhone or something, can't even trust what you see until it's paid for.
I am a robot.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 10th, 2018 at 8:22:30 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I did use Google to get a flight. Seemed all sites pretty much were identical, my only options affordable were Frontier and Spirit and that could be the reason. I guess 40-50% higher cost isn't so bad for a last minute booking, what can you do, could be worse.

It was still a panic. Google lists the prices, lowest the airline, so I go there. Magically, $390 becomes $525 or similar. We call the airline, they say, their seats are gone or going fast. They say the other sites have the seats.

Then to Orbitz from Google, I book it and wait. First try, they say try again. I try again, then the 4 seats are gone. It says go back to search results. Now, I'm thinking, WTF. What are the odds this is even real over some scheme? Kept trying, changed my departing flight to Spirit, the circle just spins. Before it stops, email confirmation. Made me worry I bought two seats somehow instead of one, but not the case.

This whole deal buying flights is a lot harder than it should be, naturally so the sellers can get more money by causing fear. Didn't seem much different than a pop-up promising a free iPhone or something, can't even trust what you see until it's paid for.

Everything you describe in this post is actually pretty normal. How airlines sell tickets on their planes is very complicated.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
April 13th, 2018 at 8:57:44 AM permalink
FWIW, I like the calendar view on Google.com/flights.

I will look at Southwest.com from time to time, but it has been a LONG time since I have seen SWA competitive on a price only basis. Mrs Q and I can usually get by just packing one bag between the two of us. Or no bags if it is just for a long weekend.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
  • Jump to: