MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 15th, 2018 at 5:23:49 PM permalink
Good grief!

So Floyd "Money" Mayweather wants to fight MMA.

Good luck with that.

see: article
"What, me worry?"
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
March 15th, 2018 at 9:30:06 PM permalink
41 years old and he wants to start learning mixed martial arts skills. Yes, good luck with that.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
Romes
March 15th, 2018 at 9:46:47 PM permalink
I think the fact that you actually have to fight your opponent, on occasion, could be a problem for him.

On the other hand, I’ll tap to a superior fighter’s triangle choke for fifty million, or so.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
Mission146
March 16th, 2018 at 9:34:04 AM permalink
Maybe he just wants to do it for fun. Probably a ton of smaller, local fight cards he could do well at. He's still young-ish and in great shape, so I bet he's just looking for the next challenge.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
DRichMission146
March 16th, 2018 at 10:04:31 AM permalink
He doing it for one reason. Money. Much of his purse from the McGregor fight was taken out ahead of time to cover his 2016 and 2017 taxes.
He's got an entourage, his dad has an entourage, his entourage has an entourage.
Unlike CM Punk or Bobby Lashley, who were willing to start mid card, I can't imagine him taking anything less than a feature match on a PPV.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
Mission146
March 16th, 2018 at 10:32:46 AM permalink
"I'm not worried about the ground... my wrestling is pretty good." lol I never wrestled in my life. We get the best wrestlers from some good colleges come in to the gym all the time thinking the same thing. They shoot for a double leg, and it's the easiest guillotine ever. Wrestling != Ground Fighting. To someone good on the ground, being on their back is not a bad thing =P.

Would be interesting if he could somehow keep the fight on the feet... where he would absolutely have an advantage and 4oz gloves. I just doubt that could happen. Get a clinch, pull guard if necessary and just get him on the ground. Should be ez pz after that.

Quote: Mission146

...On the other hand, I’ll tap to a superior fighter’s triangle choke for fifty million, or so.

Agreed. I would have gladly gotten knocked out by Mayweather for any amounts of millions lol.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
March 16th, 2018 at 1:11:48 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

41 years old and he wants to start learning mixed martial arts skills. Yes, good luck with that.

Herschel Walker did it. Truely superior athleticism and an incredible work ethic go a long way. Most MMA fighters are college level athletes with day jobs. But Floyd probably doesn't want to fight at the level Walker did.

I can see this just being a cash grab, though i am pretty skeptical about theories that he is hurting for money. Floyd is really smart about his long term health among other things. He will either KO his opponent or get submitted, neither of which cause much long term damage.

Most likely, he is just keeping his name in the news.
  • Jump to: