aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM permalink
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:29:35 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

The left has used the “compassion” term to cover for lack of personal responsibility and making the hard decisions in life. It’s how we have allowed a growing class of people who feel they are entitled to stuff they don’t deserve or have earned. And yes, there are plenty on both sides.

I suppose I should have stressed more, that I was also talking about working poor, not just the maintenance of safety net. Inability to purchase proper health care if needed is an example of your compassion?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:33:28 AM permalink
William Shatner evidently doesn't know his history. Lincoln was the 16th President and didn't own slaves, nor did either of the John Adams, and Martin Van Buren. As slavery ended with our 17th President and no President came from the south for the next couple of decades, I'm pretty sure this is a fake fact.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:47:16 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

There were no white slaves in early America,

So what. There are white slaves
throughout world history, including
today. Slavery is not race based.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:48:17 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

So what. There are white slaves throughout world history, including today. Slavery is not race based.

As a matter of history, white Christian American who were kidnapped by the Muslims in the Mediterranean were victims not only of ransom demands, but were also pressed into slavery.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:50:42 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I'll tell you the inherent problem with groups like Patriot Prayer.

They are in favor of first amendment rights and small government.

Okay, cool, so am I. So are a lot of people. And political affiliation has nothing to do with it. So why do they have to brand themselves as a right wing conservative group?

Just say you're Americans in favor of free speech and small government. If someone asks what party/side you're affiliated with, just say "neither."

Why the **** does everybody always have to pick a side and label themselves? It's only hurting whatever cause they believe in.

I think they desperately need to cling to something, and down at church these are the rabbel rousers from the pot luck, who continually repost buzz phrases on facebook?

I think they mean well, but don't know what well is?

I agree wholeheartedly on labeling. I'm a registered independent voter and have been since the mid 70's. It is a lot of effort to be informed, and most people won't take the time to go beyond a few catch phrases on their fave channel.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:05:00 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

William Shatner evidently doesn't know his history. Lincoln was the 16th President and didn't own slaves, nor did either of the John Adams, and Martin Van Buren. As slavery ended with our 17th President and no President came from the south for the next couple of decades, I'm pretty sure this is a fake fact.

Van Buren's family owned six slaves. Van Buren personally owned one, Tom. Johnson owned several slaves and persuaded Lincoln to exempt Tennessee from the Emancipation Proclamation. Grant controlled slaves owned by his wife.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:16:05 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

12 Presidents owned slaves at one point or another. Plus, Shatner is Canadian so he probably didn't have to learn much U.S. history in school, but I think his point was that multiple people featured on U.S. currency were known slave owners and if you found that offensive you should send that money to him:

$1 George Washington
$2 Thomas Jefferson
$20 Andrew Jackson
$50 U.S. Grant
$100 Ben Franklin
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
July 2nd, 2018 at 11:29:06 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

12 Presidents owned slaves at one point or another. Plus, Shatner is Canadian so he probably didn't have to learn much U.S. history in school, but I think his point was that multiple people featured on U.S. currency were known slave owners and if you found that offensive you should send that money to him:

$1 George Washington
$2 Thomas Jefferson
$20 Andrew Jackson
$50 U.S. Grant
$100 Ben Franklin

+ $10 Alexander Hamilton
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton

• Jump to: