Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 17
June 10th, 2019 at 3:36:29 PM permalink
I got an email after I signed up for the challenge. They are all out of the preportioned ration packs so you have to buy everything yourself. This is the list in the email.

White rice: 4 lb 4 oz
Plain flour (or a gluten-free alternative): 14 oz
Lentils (red or brown): 6 oz
Vegetable oil: 12 oz
Dried chickpeas: 3 oz
Can of kidney beans: 15 oz
Can of sardines (or the same weight of a vegan/vegetarian alternative) 1 x 3.75 oz

So, I guess if you can't have white rice you can just use brown rice.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 260
June 10th, 2019 at 3:43:22 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Unfortunately, the Meals on Wheels program and the local Food Bank only use white rice.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 43
June 10th, 2019 at 9:42:31 PM permalink

I signed up for it. I don't think I'll be able to make it, but we'll see... haha...

I signed up for it too.!!!

The biggest challenge by far is explaining to my wife that we can't go out to dinner for a whole week... or at least not with me. :o)

There are cheat penalties, and I'm currently reading the rules, but I expect to have to get creative, or cough up some forfeits.

Yes: It's actually pretty good on calories: they say "1,738 kcal/person/day"

For sponsoring myself, I earned the right to add an unlimited amount of a spice. I'm still trying to decide what spice, and whether onion powder counts. I might use Onion Salt which Schwartz list on their 'spices' section, though the salt might be breaking one of the rules.
If you are enjoying the game, you're already winning.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
June 10th, 2019 at 9:59:37 PM permalink

I got an email after I signed up for the challenge. They are all out of the preportioned ration packs so you have to buy everything yourself. This is the list in the email.

White rice: 4 lb 4 oz
Plain flour (or a gluten-free alternative): 14 oz
Lentils (red or brown): 6 oz
Vegetable oil: 12 oz
Dried chickpeas: 3 oz
Can of kidney beans: 15 oz
Can of sardines (or the same weight of a vegan/vegetarian alternative) 1 x 3.75 oz

I got the same. At first I thought 'what a bloody liberty' But then I realised I was being a typical middle class cry-baby, so I forgive them. . . and myself.

I'll be pissed if they don't send me at least a link to the recipes, though.

However, If they can break the rules by reneging on sending the pack, then I can justify myself in buying creatively. The veg oil will be quality olive oil and the sardines will be in some kind of sauce, rather than oil. The white rice will be of the best quality I can find, and may be of different sorts.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
June 19th, 2019 at 2:20:13 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

GWAE,

If you'd care for a wager, by way of encouragement...
If you truthfully report to me on 30 June, that your noon-time weight (AT NOON on 30th) on accurate scales is between 260 and 269, I'll send you $1 for each pound lost, by paypal, bitcoin, or gift card. I'll request that you spend any winnings on fresh fruit or green veg and report on just how much it would buy.

If you take the wager and fail, You'll owe me just one dollar bill to be sent by snail mail.

This wager offer expires 24 hours from this post time.

Later, I might ask you to sponsor me in one of my goals.

E&OE

GWAE, do you really need to concede and forfeit yet? This wasn't a wager I wanted to win.

• Jump to: