Thread Rating:

dave12038457
dave12038457
  • Threads: 19
August 23rd, 2017 at 4:37:05 PM permalink
What the media has hung its hat on is when Trump said both sides were to blame, Which they were.
Problem with that statement is it gives moral equivalency to both sides.
He needed to lean harder on the Nazis and KKK.
Funny how Trump was a very public figure for well over 30 years. Suddenly upon election at the age of 70+ he has become a racist. If he is so anti-immigrant why did he marry two of them?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 151
August 23rd, 2017 at 4:57:39 PM permalink
Quote: dave12038457

What the media has hung its hat on is when Trump said both sides were to blame, Which they were.

As I recall, not many on the right were bothered that Obama's statements were parsed for every possible derogatory meaning.

Although I don't think there is a true equivalency given Trump's easy penchant for bombast, even if we go with "turn about is fair play" few on the left feel there is any exceptional persecution going on, IMO. Except that this President rarely passes up on the opportunity to return all the sniping and continue it almost daily. He may even relish it, AFAICT.
prisoner of gravity
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 104
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
August 23rd, 2017 at 5:11:53 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Blacks want the statues removed so they can eventually put up statues to Comrade King and his ilk. Blacks want black teacherrs, black judges and black history. What was that college where the blacks demanded a white-absence day so blacks could enjoy their racial identity?

As a Caucasian, I support a free day off 100%. African-Americans, Native-Americans, Jewish-Americans, Islam, Buddhists, Sikhs, Rastafari...I don't care. You want to give me a free day off school (when I was at University, anyway) I'll take it.
Vultures can't be choosers.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 49
August 23rd, 2017 at 8:38:13 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

As a Caucasian, I support a free day off 100%. African-Americans, Native-Americans, Jewish-Americans, Islam, Buddhists, Sikhs, Rastafari...I don't care. You want to give me a free day off school (when I was at University, anyway) I'll take it.

Next they'll be complaining they have to go to school/work an extra day and something about white privilege.

No one should get a day off for the color of their skin or religious beliefs.

Sounds like those black people who want a white-absence day would like segregation. Why limit your "ethnic pride day BS" to one day when you can have it everyday?
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 63
August 23rd, 2017 at 8:55:26 PM permalink
Quote: dave12038457

The origin of The Civil War is a rather sticky affair.
Many in the South felt the North had inordinate power in the Federal government. Despite the wealthy Southern Planter Class, the rapidly industrializing North was far wealthier.
Once the Federal government tried to say what newly formed states would be free or slave, the die was cast.
The South viewed the Federal government as Northern controlled and against their interests
They viewed the Constitution as a compact that can be broken. If the colonies can revolt against England, why can't states revolt and cecede from the Union.
The overwelmingly majority of battles happened in the South. Many Confederates enlisted to protect their homeland first. Many Union soldiers enlisted for adventure and love of country.
Slavery was the biggest evil perpetrated by our nation
However, at that time slavery existed in some form on every continent including Africa. It was far from unique to America.
At the end of the war we wanted to quickly heal the wounds and be one nation again. We didn't think punishing the South would be at all productive.
Actually the North spent considerable money rebuilding the South.
Now, all the trouble caused by Confederate Statues.
I understand how some people view them as there heritage. Likewise others view them as symbols of oppression.Recent events have shown it to be a lightning rod for both sides.
I have no problem with Confederate Statues in museums, private property, cemeteries and Civil War battle fields. But maybe it is time to remove them from puplic spaces.Like I wrote earlier different people view the same statues differently.
As a side note ESPN has reassigned a broadcaster because his name is Robert Lee he is Asian this is one of the silliest things in the news.....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/23/espns-robert-lee-decision-shows-its-the-worldwide-leader-in-silliness/?utm_term=.d33ae59044a8

Slavery was illegal in Europe long before our Civil War. Nor was it practiced in South America, or Australia. The US was the only supposed Christian country where it existed.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 104
August 23rd, 2017 at 8:56:36 PM permalink
RS,

I mean, I don't really have a political opinion on this particular matter, I was just making a joke that I'd be happy with a day off school for any reason.
Vultures can't be choosers.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 49
Mission146
August 23rd, 2017 at 9:00:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

RS,

I mean, I don't really have a political opinion on this particular matter, I was just making a joke that I'd be happy with a day off school for any reason.

Oh yes I figured as much. I think I meant to REPLY not QUOTE. It wasn't really directed at you.
Last edited by: RS on Aug 23, 2017
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 63
August 23rd, 2017 at 9:11:13 PM permalink
https://www.yahoo.com/news/blacks-trump-guy-deeply-weird-views-cherokee-indians-masons-obama-202153678.html

Nuff Said!
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
AceCrAAckers
AceCrAAckers
  • Threads: 30
SOOPOO
August 23rd, 2017 at 10:06:41 PM permalink
Let us not talk about important matters such as $20,000,000,000,000.00 deficit, health care that is out of control, illegal alien(not the b.s. undocumented worker as the media calls them), and our decline in moral standards.

We can keep talking about this nonsense.
The school such as Mississippi Rebels should change their name. Rebels were confederate soldiers. Chicago Bears should be changed because we associate Russia with bears and we are all patriotic Americans here. Cincinnati Reds should change their name. We all know reds are code word for communist.
Miami Hurricanes should change their name also. Hurricanes are as bad as famines, floods, and pestilence. LA Kings are sexist and monarchist. We are a republic.

Where I live, a young barber named Andre was shot dead. I knew him and he would go to Mondawmin Mall once a month and give free haircuts to children who couldn't afford it. He died the same week that Freddy Grey died. It was a black on black on crime as most crimes are in Baltimore. There were no protest or outrage at his senseless death. The media did not cover Andre's death but we all heard about Grey's death.

Media is not covering black on black crimes. The bias in the media is shameful. They do not report the news and they represent their editorial as though it was news, I have not heard any voice of reason in the media.

If there are any monuments glorifying slavery, I am all for removing them and destroying them. Confederate monuments does not equal pro slavery monuments.
Edward Snowden is not the criminal, the government is for violating the constitution!
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 10
August 23rd, 2017 at 11:07:39 PM permalink

• Jump to: