EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 431
September 26th, 2010 at 10:39:19 PM permalink
Whats interesting is that in every survey thru the decades that asked the question 'Will Scarlett get Rhett back', the women always say yes and the men HELL NO. Scarlett was a mean, bitchy, scheming, manipulative, selfish woman. When I saw GWTW in my early 20's, she scared me to death. But the women see nothing wrong with her, they relate to her, thats the way most of them really are inside. Men are fools, they believe all the propaganda about women, usually propogated by naive men who have unrealistic female characters in books and movies.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 26th, 2010 at 11:15:08 PM permalink
Fuck me, it's like the 80's, 90' and 2000's never happened and I'm looking in at the set of Married with Children.

EvenBob's experience is so far from my own, it's like he's from another country. Oh, wait... :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 26th, 2010 at 11:27:21 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Fuck me, it's like the 80's, 90' and 2000's never happened and I'm looking in at the set of Married with Children.

EvenBob's experience is so far from my own, it's like he's from another country. Oh, wait... :)

I was being more reminded of All In the Family (guess who), but on second thought, I think you're spot on.

And EvenBob is, unfortunately, very much from this country. It's the CENTURY he's from that seems so foreign (and I DON'T mean the 20th).
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 26th, 2010 at 11:31:27 PM permalink
This country in your terms isn't my country (either or birth or emigration :). I am quite willing to believe that there is often a bigger cultural difference between both countries and environments than I would at first assume. Anyways, he can talk about how it is in the REAL world, but his how it is differs a world from mine (and my parents, siblings, relations and friends) that I doubt the overall truthiness.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 26th, 2010 at 11:37:15 PM permalink

truthiness.

Careful, EvenBob will take you to task for making up words. Even though it's a Colbertism (and therefore valid).
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 431
September 27th, 2010 at 1:07:30 AM permalink

Anyways, he can talk about how it is in the REAL world, but his how it is differs a world from mine (and my parents, siblings, relations and friends) that I doubt the overall truthiness.

Wow, please give details from The Land of OZ. Are you a Mormon? Or some other religious zealot? Where women are subservient to men? Does your wife wear a burka, perhaps?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
chook
chook
  • Threads: 5
September 27th, 2010 at 2:20:29 AM permalink
The way this thread is going, chances of any bonus 'LOLs' look pretty remote.
Getting back to the original question, there's an old joke that helps explain the gender gap.

Why do women close their eyes during sex?
Because they hate to see a man have a good time.
You can't trust a dog to mind your food.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1375
September 27th, 2010 at 2:45:14 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Whats interesting is that in every survey thru the decades that asked the question 'Will Scarlett get Rhett back', the women always say yes and the men HELL NO.

I didn't know anybody did a survey on that. It was something I said in the The Ultimate Chick Flick thread.

Quote: Wizard

What makes for a good question, assuming the movie were real life, would Scarlett and Rhett have ever gotten back together? Ask a woman and you usually get a "yes." Ask a man and you'll get a "hell no!"

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 27th, 2010 at 9:32:37 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Wow, please give details from The Land of OZ. Are you a Mormon? Or some other religious zealot? Where women are subservient to men? Does your wife wear a burka, perhaps?

No, I my Land of Oz (the UK and Canada) people seem to communicate, the man is neither a distant fool who ignores or pays lip service to his partner OR a hard-arse who whips his wife and makes her wear a burka.

Really, Bob, can you not imagine that your life may not be true for everyone else?

I do actually agree with one thing, that often people try to be a fixer when all the ranter wants is someone to listen. But active listening, not just nodding and hoping they'll stop talking so they can go back to their six pack and football game. That point is very true. I'm just sorry that you heard it and then went a very different way with it.
Garnabby
Garnabby
  • Threads: 4
September 27th, 2010 at 10:02:42 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

It's the CENTURY he's from that seems so foreign (and I DON'T mean the 20th).

20th century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The 20th century of the Common Era began on January 1, 1901 and ended on December 31, 2000. In contrast to the earlier centuries, one of the most prominent...

Quote: mkl654321

Even though it's a Colbertism (and therefore valid).

Colbertism From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Colbertism is an economic and political doctrine of the seventeenth century, created by Jean-Baptiste Colbert, the French minister of finance under Louis XIV. Colbertism is a variant of mercantilism and is more a collection of economical practices than a true current of economic thought.

Colbert's central principle was that the wealth and the economy of France should serve the state. Drawing on the ideas of mercantilism, he believed state intervention was needed to secure the largest part of limited resources. To accumulate gold, a country always had to sell more goods abroad than it bought. Colbert sought to build a French economy that sold abroad and bought nothing back.

Colbertism from the "Urban Dictionary":

The display of irrational dislike for Canada and Canadians, normally the result of an upbringing by rednecks in the backwoods of South Carolina.

"After Canada refused to believe the USA's fake rationale for invading Iraq, many ignorant Americans, like Mike Judge caught a bad case of Colbertism, which has been subsequently unshakable by common sense and truth."
Why bet at all, if you can be sure? Anyway, what constitutes a "good bet"? - The best slots-game in town; a sucker's edge; or some gray-area blackjack-stunts? (P.S. God doesn't even have to exist to be God.)

• Jump to: