boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
July 24th, 2017 at 2:30:01 PM permalink
4 trains a day now between Rochester and Penn Station, minimum time 7:23. I've driven that route and it takes about 6.5 hours with traffic.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 131
July 24th, 2017 at 3:03:53 PM permalink
Quote: black2

I believe he is a con man. All of his grand ideas are just an illusion to try to prevent investors from unraveling the scam. Anytime someone questions his integrity or his businesses, he will tweet out a new venture he is working on. All part of the confidence scam.

Every bull market has a scammer. Last one was Bernie Madoff, this time it is Elon Musk. When this bull market turns south, I suspect Elon will be exposed and Tesla stock will crash below $50/share.

That's possible, he totally screwed over his wife big time. It's been awhile since I heard her story, but he lied and misrepresented things to her, just to dump her like hot worthless, garbage after years of marriage. She trusted him and got quite burned.

Added:
divorce in her words
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on Jul 24, 2017
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 63
July 24th, 2017 at 3:14:16 PM permalink
Not in 1981, there weren't. Back then there two most days. The Zephyr and The Limited. Several stops between Rochester and Albany, then a serious stopover while they redid the trains and then what amounted to local service down the Hudson.
Driving wise, I once left home at noon and was in my dorm for a 6:18 kickoff of the Raiders- Eagles Superbowl.
Most times took closer to eight hours. A lot depended on the route and what time you hit the city. The Route from Rochester to Binghamton didn't exist back then. You had to take the Thruway to Syracuse and then generally 81 to 80, occasionally to 17 instead of 80.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux 
  • Threads: 13
July 24th, 2017 at 3:36:38 PM permalink
I enjoy train rides, especially through unfamiliar areas. Paul thereux has some great books about train travel.

However, if the public has to pay 15 or 20 billion, then pay more to use it than to fly, and subsidize its operation, no dice.
billryan
billryan
July 24th, 2017 at 3:43:47 PM permalink
The ride from Albany to NYC, with most of it running right along the Hudson river is spectacular.
There used to be a ghost fleet of mothballed navy ships that was amazing, but it is long gone.
In the fall, with the foliage exploding with multicolors , it's mesmerizing.
The first time I took the train from NY to DC, I was thrilled. A dozen trips later ,not so much. On Long Island, most people that work in Manhattan commute by train so its no thrill.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 51
July 24th, 2017 at 7:25:01 PM permalink
Living in the North East US, traffic jams rule. 90 minutes to cross the Geo. Wash. Bridge, an accident within 20 miles of said bridge is at least an hour delay going ANYWHERE. I do remember the Mianus River span collapse, and would not like to see that repeated at rush hours. Infrastructure is a big word, but Military Industial Complex is three bigger words, especially in Southern New England. Recently, the recurring drama of getting from NYC to Boston through CT has hit the news again... no one wants a Railroad in their backyard but everyone wants a shorter trip. I can think of worse things in someone's backyard. The point is well taken, both the gummint, and the peeps see infrastructure as a poison... that is until the traffic situation and price of fuel take over.

As for Elon... he does have some unique ideas. The train tube looks fine until digging in wet mountains/hills (for a hint look at Railroad tunnel construction). That problem alone can and will alter aquifer tables and levels, bringing a much higher expected price. Needless to say two more words "fault lines". Sometimes only a fool can go where fools dare. But hey, SpaceX and Tesla are sure winners. All that stands in his way is a Tesla dealership (no direct sales for autos). Now THAT is getting foolish (Law requiring a dealership to sell cars). But the one remaining question, " Will Elon EVER improve the practical at a low cost?" seems to have a "No" answer as he built a Tesla sport/luxury coupe rather than a crossover grocery-hauler/soccer-mom type.

FWLIW
Recent epitaph: Found dead by a Pokemon Go Player
billryan
billryan
July 24th, 2017 at 7:38:56 PM permalink
He built the roadsters to get attention for his brand. Model 3 is for the masses.
QFIT
QFIT
  • Threads: 1
July 25th, 2017 at 10:29:28 AM permalink
The future is now. Click through the gallery:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/tech/gallery/japan-future-tech/index.html
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 0
August 2nd, 2017 at 10:52:03 AM permalink
Quote: Face

But can you explain how they get a 12.5:1 comp ratio to run properly on pump gas? Asking for a friend...

Sorry, I have no idea what that means.
Last edited by: Sandybestdog on Aug 2, 2017
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 0
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
August 2nd, 2017 at 11:56:54 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I agree Tesla is overvalued, but it's worth is determined by the free market. People look at the future of GM and Tesla and think Tesla has the brighter one. I love Tesla, have a deposit on a car but don't own any stock. I'm not crazy about GM, own some stock in it and it was up about 20% last I looked. My understanding is that the first generation Volt was released prematurely and had a number of problems, but the new generation is a pretty good car. It might be comparable to the Tesla 3. Time will tell.
I hope it succeeds and my stock takes another jump.

See that's the problem. Where did you hear that the 2011 was released prematurely and had problems? The 2011's were basically the same thing through 2015. Very minor changes. There were no major problems and no major recalls. They are still on the road today with 100 and 200k miles on them and there has been no significant loss in battery life (GM expects about a 20% loss after 100k miles). The 2017 is still the same basic car but with a better performing gas engine and enhanced battery and redesigned exterior.

When a Volt catches fire 3 weeks after being severely crash tested, then rolled over several times then placed out back by the NHTSA without following standard procedures, it creates national headlines, numerous investigations, and the CEO is dragged before Congress. Yet when 3 different Tesla's in real world driving merely run over road debris that actually directly puncture the battery casing, the government almost instantly clears them and it makes almost no headlines whatsoever.

BTW, the Volt is nothing like the Tesla 3. They operate differently. The Tesla 3 is more comparable to the recently released Bolt. When the Bolt came out I saw that it won car of the year. I thought to myself, of course it won green car of the year, it's a new model, the new ones always do. Then I reread the headline. Oh it wasn't green car of the year. It was just car of the year. It beat everything, yet the only thing people want to talk about is the Tesla. Again, they get a free pass on everything. Meanwhile all the other car company's actually have to make affordable and quality cars and after that, they actually have to sell them, not just take deposits.

• Jump to: