Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 14
July 21st, 2017 at 1:37:33 PM permalink
I think some on the right dislike him because he works in problems and science that do not exist in their realm of make believe.

People who live in lands of make believe hate it when someone does that.

I've noticed many on the left dislike him too. Mainly because he is rich, I'd guess. And they resent private approaches to these problems.

I don't know much about him. But even if his ideas are bad it seems like he believes in them.
  • Threads: 20
July 21st, 2017 at 2:33:04 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Today this guy who has never made $1 says he is building an Underground Railroad along the East Coast. Considering he wants to go to space, sell electric cars and save the world, who actually believes him?

The world has evolved while still dealing with scam artists, which one is he?

I see him like this carpet cleaning guy from 30 years ago on a larger scale.

Thatís a wrong question or wrong comparison.

Elon Musk revived the electric car business where GM, Ford, Chryster, Toyota, BMW and other auto manufacturers before him had failed to do. Other auto manufacturers are also facing difficulties in marketing and production of electric cars, and in competing with Muskís Tesla.

Muskís SpaceX success in reusable rocket technology had renewed concept and encourage competition in this area.

https://airbusdefenceandspace.com/reuse-launchers/

Muskís hyperloop concept is still in early stage, but his involvement in this technology had promoted competition and innovation.

All the aforementioned technologies are both financially and technologically risky. It is common for technology startup to invest heavily in R&D early on and scarify short term profit for long term success potential. And Musk may not be able to deliver profit to his investors now, but he is not scam artist.
I donít think it is fair to compare Musk to Maddoff, so let me turn the question around and ask you this: IS JOHN MILLER TODAY'S BERNIE MADOFF?

Considering John Miller's many lies & cheatings, and shady business practices, I see John Miller as disgrace person today and everyday, and he is 1000 times worse than Madoff.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
July 21st, 2017 at 4:44:31 PM permalink
Not to mention Elon's solar roof. He is a visionary that is employing people and doing real things for the good of his planet.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 76
July 21st, 2017 at 7:35:22 PM permalink
Musk has employed thousands of people, most of them in well paying jobs. To compare him to Bernie Madoff is ludicrous. Sounds like something Limbaugh or Hannity would do.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 139
July 22nd, 2017 at 6:53:41 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Musk has employed thousands of people, most of them in well paying jobs. To compare him to Bernie Madoff is ludicrous. Sounds like something Limbaugh or Hannity would do.

I wasn't thinking along those lines as a political matter, but I would be proud to be compared to those 2. Both of whom I assume are making large amounts of money and paying taxes on it to allow new business startups to get government funds.
black2
black2
  • Threads: 0
July 22nd, 2017 at 9:02:12 AM permalink
I believe he is a con man. All of his grand ideas are just an illusion to try to prevent investors from unraveling the scam. Anytime someone questions his integrity or his businesses, he will tweet out a new venture he is working on. All part of the confidence scam.

Every bull market has a scammer. Last one was Bernie Madoff, this time it is Elon Musk. When this bull market turns south, I suspect Elon will be exposed and Tesla stock will crash below $50/share.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 7
July 22nd, 2017 at 9:17:58 AM permalink
Quote: black2

I believe he is a con man. All of his grand ideas are just an illusion to try to prevent investors from unraveling the scam.

What is the "scam" though? Elon Musk is actually inventing things and accomplishing things and building companies and putting his money where his mouth is.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 151
July 22nd, 2017 at 10:26:04 AM permalink
I don't believe he meets the definition of a scammer, but that doesn't mean he is not a high risk investment. HIgh risk investing can have high returns and big losses.

But as long as investors know what they're getting into it's not a scam. Any new tech, or just something that hasn't been done, is virtually high risk I would say.
prisoner of gravity
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 76
July 22nd, 2017 at 11:47:22 AM permalink
Anyone holding a million dollars worth of stock in Musk's companies could sell them today for a million dollars. People holding a Madoff account worth a million dollars couldn't sell it for anything. Coming from Long Island, I knew many people who invested in Madoff. Looking back, all the signs were there. I knew a guy who wanted to withdraw $150,000 from his account and Madoffs son convinced him he was better off taking a Home Equity loan at 4%, since his money was earning 12% with the fund. Not only did he lose his money, but was stuck with a loan. He and Madoffs son went to high school together, lived within blocks of each other and had kids play on the same sports teams, yet Madoff and family had no trouble stealing his money.
Madoffs returns were work of fiction. Musks companies are public and the public has set their value.
I question the financial knowledge of anyone who can't see the difference between the two.
I would agree Tesla stock is extremely overvalued, but that's because the public is willing to pay for it, not because Musk is claiming fictional returns.
A few months ago I had a buy order out at $200 because it was in a dip. Last I checked it was $330. Musk could profit by splitting the shares. A 3 for one split would bring the stock down to about $100, making it more accessible to buyers, but price isn't what he dwells on.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 139
July 24th, 2017 at 4:08:11 AM permalink
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/elon-musk-hyperloop-philly-newyork-dc-20170720.html

This is what has me questioning him. He hates traffic so now he says he has approval for this idea. I question why anyone would use twitter to try and get this message out there when it isn't true.

Twitter?? Who does he think he is?

We have heard ideas of a high speed train-tube-whatever from LA to LV for years. If someone could make it happen, they would have a hit on their hands. Imagine how many people would come for the weekend if they could do it in less than 2 hours without the traffic.

• Jump to: