blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
June 17th, 2017 at 1:29:47 PM permalink
I'm feeling a bit silly, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out a word puzzle that was in the newspaper.

These puzzles are in the daily paper that my father receives, and he sometimes saves them for me whenever I travel to visit him. And naturally, the part of the newspaper that contained the answer is nowhere to be found.

The object of the puzzle is to figure out a (supposedly) common phrase based upon how the lettering and such is presented.

For example: OholeNE <--- The answer to this would be the golf term "a hole in one".

Anyway, below is the one that has me stumped. I even tried a google reverse image search with no luck.

Any help with solving it will be much appreciated!

You serious, Clark?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 17th, 2017 at 1:55:26 PM permalink
Jersey Currency is all I can come up with.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
DDB
June 17th, 2017 at 4:33:41 PM permalink
Quote: blount2000

I'm feeling a bit silly, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out a word puzzle that was in the newspaper.

These puzzles are in the daily paper that my father receives, and he sometimes saves them for me whenever I travel to visit him. And naturally, the part of the newspaper that contained the answer is nowhere to be found.

The object of the puzzle is to figure out a (supposedly) common phrase based upon how the lettering and such is presented.

For example: OholeNE <--- The answer to this would be the golf term "a hole in one".

Anyway, below is the one that has me stumped. I even tried a google reverse image search with no luck.

Any help with solving it will be much appreciated!

It's 'Cash Cow'

Pretty Cryptic eh?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
June 17th, 2017 at 5:15:33 PM permalink
What are the lines across the y for.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 17th, 2017 at 5:20:35 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

What are the lines across the y for.

That's what the me. Google to the rescue:

€ = Euru
$ = Dollar
¥ = Yen
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
June 17th, 2017 at 5:27:09 PM permalink
Duh,thanks
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
QFIT
QFIT
  • Threads: 1
June 17th, 2017 at 6:08:07 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

It's 'Cash Cow'

Pretty Cryptic eh?

Good catch.
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 17th, 2017 at 6:18:24 PM permalink
How do you come up with "cash cow"?

Is jersey known for having cows or something?
QFIT
QFIT
  • Threads: 1
June 17th, 2017 at 6:22:14 PM permalink
Jersey is a breed of cows. One of the more populous dairy cows named for the island of Jersey, from which, I assume, New Jersey came upon its name. A neighboring island is Guernsey, also the name of a breed of cows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
blount2000
blount2000
June 17th, 2017 at 7:44:10 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

It's 'Cash Cow'

Pretty Cryptic eh?

Thanks OD!

I never would have figured that out.
You serious, Clark?
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
June 17th, 2017 at 9:55:18 PM permalink
I thought had something to do with all the hellacious tolls.😄
RS
RS
June 17th, 2017 at 10:08:45 PM permalink
What're y'all cow farmers or something, knowing different breeds of cows??

At least we're not talking about cat breeds. People who know breeds of cats should not be trusted.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 17th, 2017 at 11:47:11 PM permalink
Yet people mock the value of a Liberal Arts program.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 18th, 2017 at 1:22:30 AM permalink
Quote: RS

What're y'all cow farmers or something, knowing different breeds of cows??

At least we're not talking about cat breeds. People who know breeds of cats should not be trusted.

You might have accidentally helped solved this. Could it be Jersey bred? Money is also called bread, the clue is Jersey spelled with money symbols.

Maybe the OP should contact the newspaper or publisher of the puzzle.
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 18th, 2017 at 1:34:38 AM permalink
What is Jersey bred?

My cousins have Jersey cows on their farm in Ireland. They are much smaller than the cows you see here, so they eat less and you can have more per acre, but they produce the same amount of milk as American dairy cows. Some of the farms have cows that produce buttermilk, my cousins produce regular milk. I thought they were joking but it is true.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
RS
RS
June 18th, 2017 at 1:41:52 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

You might have accidentally helped solved this. Could it be Jersey bred? Money is also called bread, the clue is Jersey spelled with money symbols.

IF I helped solve this puzzle, it would have been on purpose. It could also be

Cow bred

Cow bread

Money cow

Counterfeit money (a cow is a bull, when something is a lie you say bullsh**, so you can claim something is "bull").

Kobe Beef / Waygyu (it's a type of cow I think, and expensive)

That one dude on the show "Jersey Shore", he's like Cuban or black or something. Always wears sunglasses and fake tan I think and spikey hair sorta? He could be the answer to this. Jersey + money = that douchebag dude

There just isn't one right answer. I think all answers are right.

Since all answers are right and I gave the most answers, I win the free beer or whatever.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 18th, 2017 at 1:50:29 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

What is Jersey bred?

My cousins have Jersey cows on their farm in Ireland. They are much smaller than the cows you see here, so they eat less and you can have more per acre, but they produce the same amount of milk as American dairy cows. Some of the farms have cows that produce buttermilk, my cousins produce regular milk. I thought they were joking but it is true.

Jersey bred among other meanings, means a horse bred in NJ. I'm sure I've seen the phrase before in other uses, just basically meaning the person was born in NJ. Maybe the boss, what's his name, Bruce Springsteen.

Quote:

J. - Bruce Springsteen got this town out of bed early yesterday. The Jersey-bred rocker, who began his career in this seaside resort of 18,000 people three decades ago, returned for his first-ever performance on a TV morning show, NBC's "Today.

If you google Bruce Springsteen and jersey bred, you'll see many examples.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 18th, 2017 at 1:59:16 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Quote: onenickelmiracle

IF I helped solve this puzzle, it would have been on purpose. It could also be

Cow bred

Cow bread

Money cow

Counterfeit money (a cow is a bull, when something is a lie you say bullsh**, so you can claim something is "bull").

Kobe Beef / Waygyu (it's a type of cow I think, and expensive)

That one dude on the show "Jersey Shore", he's like Cuban or black or something. Always wears sunglasses and fake tan I think and spikey hair sorta? He could be the answer to this. Jersey + money = that douchebag dude

There just isn't one right answer. I think all answers are right.

Since all answers are right and I gave the most answers, I win the free beer or whatever.

Yeah, sure. The check is coming in the mail. When you get it, cash it and send my half to me.
I am a robot.
blount2000
blount2000
December 23rd, 2020 at 8:03:47 PM permalink
Here is another one that we are having a hard time figuring out.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

You serious, Clark?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 26th, 2020 at 8:53:58 AM permalink
Son of SOOPOO says it is ‘coronations’.

Car (Audi or Ka)
in
Nations (Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan).
djtehch34t
djtehch34t
  • Threads: 2
December 26th, 2020 at 5:29:24 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Son of SOOPOO says it is ‘coronations’.

Car (Audi or Ka)
in
Nations (Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan).

I didn't realize Ka is a car... Maybe just "carnations" then? ("Coronation" might change too many letters?)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 26th, 2020 at 5:57:18 PM permalink
Quote: djtehch34t

I didn't realize Ka is a car... Maybe just "carnations" then? ("Coronation" might change too many letters?)

He actually said it is ambiguous between your answer and his! I only presented the one I liked....
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
December 26th, 2020 at 6:17:37 PM permalink
I'd go with carnations, as these tend to be more literal than what coronation is.

Tough puzzles!
blount2000
blount2000
December 27th, 2020 at 8:45:20 AM permalink
Thank you all for coming up with the solutions. I didn't know that the Ka was a car either, so I guess we learn something new every day.

I appreciate the help with this one, and I've definitely confirmed where to go now if one gets us stumped!
You serious, Clark?
  • Jump to: