Thread Rating:

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
August 13th, 2017 at 2:49:36 PM permalink
The city issued the permit because people are allowed to be free. In fact,

Quote: NYT

"More recently, Mr. Kessler became involved in the fight against renaming Lee Park -- one reason for the 'Unite the Right' rally this weekend. The rally was by far Mr. Kessler's largest undertaking yet. Last week, he won an injunction in federal court against the city, which had voted to revoke a permit for the rally".

Quote: NBC News 29

The Rutherford Institute and ACLU say the city's decision to move the rally out of downtown is against the organizer, Jason Kessler’s, free speech rights. The civil rights groups argued the move violates Kessler's right to free speech, because the rally is meant to be a protest of the City Council's decision to remove the statue of confederate General Robert E. Lee from Emancipation Park.

Can't say the ACLU didn't try to help out the alt-right, eh? The city says it wanted to move it elsewhere due to the size of the rally, not the content of the speech.

As for the police, they stayed uninvolved. Same story quotes that the police did not step in because '80% of the people had semi-automatic weapons'. It was already out of the police's hands.

Wish people could be more balanced.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 76
August 13th, 2017 at 2:58:41 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

The largely unknown Stone Mountain Park Confederate Memorial in Stone Mountain, GA is the largest bas-relief sculpture in the world. Larger than Mount Rushmore.

They have a spectacular laser show, where the audience cheers wildly, as the massive figures are brought to life and charge across the mountain to the sounds of ‘Dixie’.

The animated charge is set to " The Battle Hymn of the Republic, not to Dixie.
Ironic as the lyrics go - "as he died to make men holy, let us fight to make men free".
For reasons I will never understand, the U.S. Government minted a coin to help raise money to construct Stone Mountain. They did insist the traitorous Jefferson Davis not be on the coin. Only Lee and Jackson are on it.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintSOOPOO
August 13th, 2017 at 3:26:24 PM permalink
I hate Trump as much or more than the next guy, but is there anything he possibly could have said about the tragedy that he wouldn't have been immediately jumped all over by the libs?
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
August 13th, 2017 at 4:08:27 PM permalink
Fact check: The rally was canceled before 11am. It was supposed to have a 12pm start time.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
August 13th, 2017 at 4:54:39 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

The city says it wanted to move it elsewhere due to the size of the rally, not the content of the speech.

“Based on the current record, the court concludes that Kessler has shown that he will likely prove that the decision to revoke his permit was based on the content of his speech,” “Kessler’s assertion in this regard is supported by the fact that the city solely revoked his permit but left in place the permits issued to counter-protestors.” - Judge Conrad

The city foolishly tried to revoke the permit based on the content of Kessler’s speech rather than public safety factors, while allowing the permit issued to the violent Antifa demonstrators to remain in place.

Antifa

The city could have successfully defended pulling both permits based upon their concern for violence and that law enforcement would not be able to contain the thousands of demonstrators and maintain public safety.

It’s been done successfully in NYC for reasons as simple as an assembly might destroy the great lawn in Central Park.

McAuliffe is going to ride this all the way to the Democratic National Convention.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 76
August 13th, 2017 at 5:27:59 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I hate Trump as much or more than the next guy, but is there anything he possibly could have said about the tragedy that he wouldn't have been immediately jumped all over by the libs?

Yes, there was. He could have said that Nazi's suck and do not represent American principles. But he can't, because that lunatic fringe provided him the margin of victory in at least one state.
His own daughter has more balls than he does.
Last edited by: billryan on Aug 13, 2017
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 191
August 13th, 2017 at 6:31:07 PM permalink
WIKIPEDIA:

William "Bill" Kristol is an American neoconservative political analyst and commentator. He is the founder and editor at large of the political magazine The Weekly Standard and a political commentator on several networks.

CNN State of the Union Transcript:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1708/13/sotu.01.html

Bill Kristol, let me start with you. President Trump saying that he called out violence, bigotry on many sides on many sides. What did that say to you?

BILL KRISTOL, EDITOR, THE WEEKLY STANDARD: I mean, it was avoiding condemning the Nazis who would reason the whole thing happened and it was shocking, really, I have got to say.

I mean, the events were horrible themselves and very depressing and the deaths and the injuries but President Trump's reaction was almost as depressing and now his, you know, people who work for him, I really shouldn't say work for him. They work in the White House.

Tom Bossert, that was an excellent interview. I mean, he's the senior aide. He's not a political guy.

He's not a political hack. He's not a Trumpologist. He is our -- he's the director of White House director of Homeland Security.

And he can't say until you pressed him for 15 minutes that we condemn Nazism. We condemn Nazis. That they are the reason for this fundamental, primary reason for what happened in Charlottesville.

It's a very -- I mean -- and then, of course, Cory Gardner, the wonderful guy, a good -- a nice senator from Colorado, even he, gee, if only President Trump would finally say the right thing. I hope he'll finally say the right thing.

President Trump meant what he said and said what he meant. And I find that very depressing.
I don't give a hoot about what people have to say, I'm laughing as I'm analyzed. Lunatics anonymous, that's where we belong, Sure, cause I am one, till my strength is gone, Yeah, this beat goes on - Da Kings: The North Coast's Friday Anthem
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
August 14th, 2017 at 4:08:43 AM permalink
Too much looking for something to bitch about. IMO he responded appropriately and timely. He actually had a good day that day he signed the va bill but that hasn't been mentioned much as it seems people just like to p&m about everything he does, says, doesn't do, and doesn't say.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 11
August 14th, 2017 at 6:58:28 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

He actually had a good day that day

LOL

It was probably the worst day of his Presidency thus far (and THAT is saying something).

When you've got righties like Mike Huckabee criticizing you for not disavowing white supremacists forcefully enough, you're not having a good day.
The geniuses who thought HRC was running a child sex ring out of the basement of a pizza shop just can't connect the dots on all this trump-Russia stuff....
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 14th, 2017 at 7:50:01 AM permalink
This would have been an easy win for the president to denounce one side. But on the other hand, during the campaign, he claimed not to know who David Duke was.

People have been theorizing all along that Trump's victory emboldened the alt-right to do stuff like this.

I am all for free speech. Donald Trump did not force that kid to drive the car into the crowd. People are responsible for their own actions. People have the right of protest in this nation, even neo-nazi white supremacists. They do not have the right to be violent.

I also agree that when you decide to hold a protest to the protest that you are invoking risk on yourself despite your naive belief that police will protect you. Most protesters in Charlottesville understood this, that there was a chance of violence and being hurt, and indeed, some probably got involved in the event because they wanted to invoke violence (on both sides).

Someone died. It was not an unpredictable outcome. People are polarized, and this is going to boil from time to time.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!

• Jump to: