rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 79
April 3rd, 2017 at 5:33:59 AM permalink
I think Saturday has to be dinner to fit the Wiz's schedule. And the 777 has worked so well for the past couple years I think we should just roll with that. I forget how it worked for the reservation, but I think we had to move to an earlier hour in order to be allowed to reserve a table. Even then, IIRC, it took some arm-twisting to be allowed to make a reservation.

Friday dinner and chip collecting sounds good to me. Don't really care about the details, as long as a trip to the Lucky Dragon is involved.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
April 3rd, 2017 at 9:49:26 AM permalink
Just to confirm (since I come back to this thread every so often) the weekend of the Spring Fling is 04/22, correct?
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Doc
Doc 
  • Threads: 41
April 3rd, 2017 at 10:13:04 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Just to confirm (since I come back to this thread every so often) the weekend of the Spring Fling is 04/22, correct?

Correct.
Quote: rdw4potus

I think we had to move to an earlier hour in order to be allowed to reserve a table. Even then, IIRC, it took some arm-twisting to be allowed to make a reservation.

Friday dinner and chip collecting sounds good to me. Don't really care about the details, as long as a trip to the Lucky Dragon is involved.

I am definitely up for dinner and a visit to the Lucky Dragon on Friday evening. Need a definite decision on dinner location and time, but I think someone among us can handle that within the next couple of weeks. ;-)

As for the Saturday evening Main Event, in the discussion on pages 7 & 8 of this thread, I suggested the 777 Pub at Main Street Station in the "early evening", and the Wizard endorsed that. Wizardofnothing very generously offered to pick up the tab -- nice deal! I don't think that a specific start time is established.

Yes, rdw4potus remembers correctly that last year we had some difficulty getting a reservation for a fairly large group on a Saturday night. At the restaurant, they would not agree to a group reservation at all. I was staying and playing at MSS, and Mike suggested that I talk to a suit there. A pit supervisor got the 777 manager to come to the pit and set up a reservation for us. We did start earlier than the previous year, but I don't remember whether that was a requirement.

This year, I will not be staying at MSS until Sunday night, and I might not play there until Saturday. I think it would be best if someone with more influence than I have would set up the reservation. Of course, to do that we will need to get at least an approximate count of attendees expected.

During the day on Friday as I get back into town from Lake Tahoe, I had initially planned a loop of the area to gather chips to replace some metal tokens in my collection. In the CCotD thread, it was pointed out that some of the smaller establishments on my list do not open their tables until evening, so I will need to revise those plans. If Friday and Saturday evenings are booked with Spring Fling events, I expect I will make that loop either Sunday or Monday evening. Anyone interested in joining me on that adventure?

Earlier in this thread, the Wizard had proposed a unicycle/Rubik's cube challenge/demo for Saturday very-early evening (5:00?) before we go to the 777 Pub, but he then realized there was a conflict with his scheduled bicycle ride. I don't know whether there has been a proposed alternate time. Last I read, the McNuggets challenge will be at Noon on Sunday at the Plaza.

If there are other events planned for that weekend, I either didn't hear or forgot. We typically attempt group gambling after the main event, but I don't think we have a definite plan for that yet, since we are still a little loose on plans for the main event.

Edit: Has anyone heard whether the Lucky Dragon has a craps table now? I think that they did not at the time the place opened but that there was a rumor one was coming. I haven't heard anything definite since. If they do have one, what kind of minimum bets would you expect them to require on a Friday evening?
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 16
April 3rd, 2017 at 10:36:14 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Correct.
I am definitely up for dinner and a visit to the Lucky Dragon on Friday evening. Need a definite decision on dinner location and time, but I think someone among us can handle that within the next couple of weeks. ;-)

Ok I will take control of Friday. Dinner will be at Nora's at 7:00. So far it is just RDW, Doc, Mrs Doc and myself. Anyone is more than welcome to join but I will need to know how many to make the reservation for. If nobody else is interested in dinner (very good food) on Friday then I will make a 7:00 reservation for 4.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
April 3rd, 2017 at 11:28:55 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Ok I will take control of Friday. Dinner will be at Nora's at 7:00. So far it is just RDW, Doc, Mrs Doc and myself. Anyone is more than welcome to join but I will need to know how many to make the reservation for. If nobody else is interested in dinner (very good food) on Friday then I will make a 7:00 reservation for 4.

I spoke with "Bruce" (lol that name is so silly) and we'll be in town for the event. As of now just the 2 of us, with a possible third to be determined later.

I believe we'll plan to attend dinner Friday evening, and then the festivities (dinner + gambling?) Saturday evening.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
April 3rd, 2017 at 11:48:49 AM permalink
Perfect so Romes and Bruce make 6. I will hold off on the making the reservation until this weekend and we can always add to it. I just want to do it before I head south early next week and Nora's will be extremely busy on a Friday.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
Doc
Doc 
  • Threads: 41
April 3rd, 2017 at 12:22:20 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Btw for anyone who doesn't know Nora's is an amazing Italian restaurant on Flamingo and Jones.

Not familiar with Nora's but I'm game. Did a Google Maps search -- for those equally unfamiliar, it appears that Nora's is really a couple of short blocks east of Jones (maybe a quarter mile?) That's the right place, isn't it?
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
April 3rd, 2017 at 1:57:42 PM permalink
5780 W Flamingo Drive
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 40
April 3rd, 2017 at 3:07:52 PM permalink
Two questions:
Who is on the attendee list at this point?
Are Romes, Axel, PokerGrinder & MaxPen holding a NL Poker lesson this year ;-)?
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
April 3rd, 2017 at 6:28:22 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Two questions:
Who is on the attendee list at this point?
Are Romes, Axel, PokerGrinder & MaxPen holding a NL Poker lesson this year ;-)?

Go all in with AA! Fold 27, lesson over. Romes anything you want to add?

• Jump to: