Poll

7 votes (77.77%)
1 vote (11.11%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (11.11%)

9 members have voted

MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
January 7th, 2017 at 9:40:09 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

BTW they say the millennials will hardly invest in stocks at all - only 1 in 3, and I suppose that means those that do invest cautiously.

So what will millennials do with their money once they start having some? I didn't do a ton of investing in my 20s other than corporate retirement matching (free money) but I'm in the market now. If a 20-something has an extra 20k, where do they put it? Kickstarter? Lending Club? A Japanese siphon coffee machine?
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23coff.html
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 581
January 7th, 2017 at 9:43:14 AM permalink
The stock market is currently strong. Corporations are posting good earning and money is still pouring into the US from foreign countries. Although I do see a modest 5-10% correction within the next few months, I believe the stock market will continue to hold steady... as long as there is no catastrophic geopolitical event (but anything can happen with Trump). Although I do not believe the stock market is a true indication of a healthy economy... it is a mirage. Around 93 million Americans are out of work. That number will continue to grow as technology continues to take over the human workforce. Trump will try to keep jobs in America... we will see how that goes when the prices of goods go up. Do you know what they pay these people in China at the factories? VERY LITTLE! No one in America wants to work for peanuts. I will be extremely difficult to keep goods at current prices if we disallow China, etc to manufacture them for cheap or tax them heavily. (But then again, Trump will probably 'reconsider' China Trade relations as well.
As long as the stock market is doing well, then it is perceived that all Americans are doing well. It really just means that corporations have gotten a lot more leaner and are cutting costs were needed, ultimately posting strong earnings which drives value to the stock.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 581
January 7th, 2017 at 9:49:13 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

So what will millennials do with their money once they start having some? I didn't do a ton of investing in my 20s other than corporate retirement matching (free money) but I'm in the market now. If a 20-something has an extra 20k, where do they put it? Kickstarter? Lending Club? A Japanese siphon coffee machine?
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23coff.html



Unfortunately, many of the recent graduates cant find a job after spending all of that money on college tuition... and many are living at home with parents. If they do have some extra money, the market is still the best place to invest in my opinion. 80% in conservative stocks then can still post 10% annual returns and possible yields, and 20% in more risky ventures where you take a shot.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
777
777
Joined: Oct 7, 2015
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 598
January 7th, 2017 at 10:24:10 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

The stock market is currently strong. Corporations are posting good earning and money is still pouring into the US from foreign countries. Although I do see a modest 5-10% correction within the next few months, I believe the stock market will continue to hold steady... as long as there is no catastrophic geopolitical event (but anything can happen with Trump). Although I do not believe the stock market is a true indication of a healthy economy... it is a mirage. Around 93 million Americans are out of work. That number will continue to grow as technology continues to take over the human workforce. Trump will try to keep jobs in America... we will see how that goes when the prices of goods go up. Do you know what they pay these people in China at the factories? VERY LITTLE! No one in America wants to work for peanuts. I will be extremely difficult to keep goods at current prices if we disallow China, etc to manufacture them for cheap or tax them heavily. (But then again, Trump will probably 'reconsider' China Trade relations as well.
As long as the stock market is doing well, then it is perceived that all Americans are doing well. It really just means that corporations have gotten a lot more leaner and are cutting costs were needed, ultimately posting strong earnings which drives value to the stock.



The U.S. economy is highly dependent on consumer spending. Trade wars with China and many other foreign entities will hurt us more than benefit us, and will lead to inflation and retaliations. And the sad truth is we are addicted to cheap labor from the far east and south & central America, and consequently we need them more than they need us.

Trade wars could result in short term gain in employment, but in the long run they could be disastrous because of inflationary pressure that reduces consumer spending which will be a catalyst for much higher unemployment rate, and with higher unemployment rate, consumer spending will be much further reduced, and the cycle will repeat until Trump stop lying in his tweets to satisfy his ego.

Here is one example for retaliation, China and other countries could retaliate by canceling Boeing orders and opt for EU built Airbus aircraft. This type of retaliation could impact hundreds of thousands of high paying skill and manufacturing jobs. The eliminations these high paying jobs could have huge impact on other industries such as auto, housing, restaurant & services …
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 581
January 7th, 2017 at 10:27:47 AM permalink
Quote: 777

The U.S. economy is highly dependent on consumer spending. Trade wars with China and many other foreign entities will hurt us more than benefit us, and will lead to inflation and retaliations. And the sad truth is we are addicted to cheap labor from the far east and south & central America, and consequently we need them more than they need us.

Trade wars could result in short term gain in employment, but in the long run they could be disastrous because of inflationary pressure that reduces consumer spending which will be a catalyst for much higher unemployment rate, and with higher unemployment rate, consumer spending will be much further reduced, and the cycle will repeat until Trump stop lying in his tweets to satisfy his ego.

Here is one example for retaliation, China and other countries could retaliate by canceling Boeing orders and opt for EU built Airbus aircraft. This type of retaliation could impact hundreds of thousands of high paying skill and manufacturing jobs. The eliminations these high paying jobs could have huge impact on other industries such as auto, housing, restaurant & services …



Agree.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
RogerKint
RogerKint
Joined: Dec 5, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1201
January 7th, 2017 at 12:24:07 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

So what will millennials do with their money once they start having some? I didn't do a ton of investing in my 20s other than corporate retirement matching (free money) but I'm in the market now. If a 20-something has an extra 20k, where do they put it? Kickstarter? Lending Club? A Japanese siphon coffee machine?
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23coff.html



Gold, land and guns.
777
777
Joined: Oct 7, 2015
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 598
January 7th, 2017 at 2:51:30 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Quote: 777

The U.S. economy is highly dependent on consumer spending. Trade wars with China and many other foreign entities will hurt us more than benefit us, and will lead to inflation and retaliations. And the sad truth is we are addicted to cheap labor from the far east and south & central America, and consequently we need them more than they need us.

Trade wars could result in short term gain in employment, but in the long run they could be disastrous because of inflationary pressure that reduces consumer spending which will be a catalyst for much higher unemployment rate, and with higher unemployment rate, consumer spending will be much further reduced, and the cycle will repeat until Trump stop lying in his tweets to satisfy his ego.

Here is one example for retaliation, China and other countries could retaliate by canceling Boeing orders and opt for EU built Airbus aircraft. This type of retaliation could impact hundreds of thousands of high paying skill and manufacturing jobs. The eliminations these high paying jobs could have huge impact on other industries such as auto, housing, restaurant & services …



Agree.



If Trump engages in trade war in a foolish manner, BA is a good stock to short. If I am a Boeing employee or own Boeing stock, I would worry very much about Trump’s Trade wars with the world.

Despite of huge gaps in income between CEOs and ordinary workers, the middle class and the poor enjoy decent standard of living or just able to survive on a day-to-day basis thanks to cheap labors from Far East, South & Central America.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 581
January 10th, 2017 at 1:47:56 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

You dont mess around WofN! It sure looks like a real trade. Good luck... I think you will be pleased within time. Im giving it 2 years. It just made a huge move over the past few months due to positive clinical trial results. Approval is near.



AKAO making moves! Over 16 after hours. Currently 500 million market cap. Certainly has over 1 billion market cap value once drugs are approved and to market. Hold tight!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 581
January 11th, 2017 at 12:43:31 PM permalink
Banks earnings on Friday. This should to be the day for dow 20,000! As long as Trump keeps his frkn mouth shut ...
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 581
January 13th, 2017 at 7:55:20 AM permalink
Quote: Wizardofnothing

Ha,,,,, just for a sweat for the forum- I'll donate 20 percent of the profits to the football pool next year

https://imgur.com/gallery/PVr0m



AKAO over 17 already in just one week... Enjoy the ride !

Unfortunately, I dont think the dow will close over 20,000 today. Banks are very strong but not enough to push the market today. I fear my bet with my friend of it closing over 20k by mid February is in jeopardy.... but all aforementioned stocks are doing quite well.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'

  • Jump to: