SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 113
May 31st, 2015 at 6:18:57 PM permalink
Hey speedy... I am in Buffalo as well. I have found that booking the Southwest direct flight roundtrip early is better than late. And remember, if the flight goes down in price on Southwest you can just cancel and rebook at the lower rate. I never look at other airlines as they do not fly non stop to Vegas. As far as the fares, day of week is often a determining factor as well. Also, remember that luggage is included in the fare on Southwest but not on most other airlines.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
June 1st, 2015 at 9:32:18 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Here's a strange thing about Spirit. They charge extra for everything, I get that. But when you book, they have what they call their 'base price'. Next, you have seat selection, and every seat has a minimum charge of $10 and up. So a seat is not part of that 'base price'. How can a seat not be part of the price. That's just goofy.

Kewlj, that is a common mistake with people booking Spirit. You can get a seat for $0, you just have to continue on that screen without selecting a seat. A seat will be assigned to you at check-in.
Order from chaos
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
June 1st, 2015 at 9:39:05 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Kewlj, that is a common mistake with people booking Spirit. You can get a seat for $0, you just have to continue on that screen without selecting a seat. A seat will be assigned to you at check-in.

Bottom line is pay for a aisle or window ahead of time
or
get a middle at no additional cost at the airport on day of travel.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
June 1st, 2015 at 10:13:04 AM permalink
I always flew Southwest because they offered two non stop flights per day from Austin.

However, when I booked our flight for this past May, the flights we normally take were already booked, two months in advance!
And the other flights were 500.00 more round trip for two of us. What has been 800.00 for at least 5 years was now 1300.00!
That's for two people.

I checked American and found them to be cheaper, with one stop. They were 1200.00, which isn't much cheaper.
Upon further investigation though, I found that first class was only 1500.00! It was actually 1600.00 but you could get 100.00 off if
you got an AA MasterCard, which I then applied for and received.

So, for 1500.00 we flew first class which comes with free checked bags and an express lane at security.
We breezed through with our shoes on, ate and drank on the plane and felt great when we arrived at both ends.

I doubt that we will ever do this again. But if Southwest is booked ahead like the last time then we have an alternative.
Albeit an expensive one.

We could have gone with another no frills airline, no doubt. But Southwest is about as no frills as I care to experience.

Of course, YMMV
Stupid is a choice
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
June 1st, 2015 at 10:27:19 AM permalink
Quote: texasplumr

I always flew Southwest because they offered two non stop flights per day from Austin.

Frontier now has one non stop flight a day from Austin to Vegas cheaper than Southwest, $74 to $99 depending on the day. It's a red eye though, it leaves at 10:15pm. The return flight on Frontier is a darker shade of red eye, it leaves at midnight and gets to Austin at 4AM. I haven't tried it yet, but outbound on Frontier and return on Southwest wouldn't be bad.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 1st, 2015 at 10:30:45 AM permalink
Flying is more expensive this year, since around Christmas or maybe Thanksgiving. Airlines are increasing their prices while gas gets cheaper because they've lessened or kept capacity at the same level while demand has risen. However, they are reinvesting a lot of their profits in the form of buying planes and upgrading gates. I keep a close eye on flights out of the DC metro region... I've been known to check daily for last minute Vegas flights... The amount of last minute good deals via Southwest has been disconcerting.

If you fly Spirit, you are a horrible person.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
June 1st, 2015 at 10:38:28 AM permalink
My wife and I flew Allegiant last night and experienced something new. We fly Allegiant about four times per year to various destinations but yesterday something new happened. We booked our tickets on the same itinerary and did not pay to choose specific seats. When we got to the airport we were assigned different rows which is not unusual on full flights. The thing was that on this flight the plane was only 75% full with lots of rows with two seats together. In the past they have always put us together if seats together were still available. I hope this was just a fluke and not a new trend in poor customer service.
Order from chaos
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 1st, 2015 at 10:46:16 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Frontier now has one non stop flight a day from Austin to Vegas cheaper than Southwest, $74 to $99 depending on the day. It's a red eye though, it leaves at 10:15pm. The return flight on Frontier is a darker shade of red eye, it leaves at midnight and gets to Austin at 4AM. I haven't tried it yet, but outbound on Frontier and return on Southwest wouldn't be bad.

DC has something similar from Dulles. Don't forget the carry on fee via Frontier which just so happens to close the gap between Southwest and Frontier.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
June 1st, 2015 at 1:25:18 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

DC has something similar from Dulles. Don't forget the carry on fee via Frontier which just so happens to close the gap between Southwest and Frontier.

Well, I don't know what Frontier charges for a carry on bags, but the gap between Frontier and Southwest on the Austin to Vegas flight is about $100 right now. I am hoping that the Frontier non-stops are successful. We need some competition on that route.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 1st, 2015 at 2:53:18 PM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

I personally never drive to the airport when I fly. It is cheaper for me to order a stretch limousine to and from the airport than to park my car at O'Hare for 5 days. Parking there is $35 a day for crying out loud. The limo service I use is $72 each way plus tip. Furthermore, it gets the trip off to a relaxing start.

In pittsburgh we have off site parking near the airport. Last month I parked for 8 nights for $43 including shuttles to and from airport.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW

• Jump to: