Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 21st, 2015 at 5:14:18 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Holder tried and tried and it just didn't
work. Sometimes justice does prevail.

"Federal investigators interviewed more than 200 people and analyzed cellphone audio and video, the law enforcement officials said. Officer Wilson’s gun, clothing and other evidence were analyzed at the F.B.I.’s laboratory in Quantico, Va. Though the local authorities and Mr. Brown’s family conducted autopsies, Mr. Holder ordered a separate autopsy, which was conducted by pathologists from the Armed Forces Medical Examiner’s office at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, the officials said."

And they came up with bupkis. Perfect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us/justice-department-ferguson-civil-rights-darren-wilson.html?_r=0

Will be a Page 10 blurb in most major newspapers and will probably not be covered on the nightly news shows.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 21st, 2015 at 5:31:07 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Will be a Page 10 blurb in most major newspapers and will probably not be covered on the nightly news shows.

It was on the Fox 6pm news, it's where
I first heard it. It's not on CNN's site
or NBC's or MSNBC, just FOX. What
a surprise. That's why FOX is #1.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
January 21st, 2015 at 9:46:19 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

A "Black Lives Matter" leader was invited by Sheriff Joe's department to undergo some police training and see what the decision making process is really like.

To his credit, he manned up and tried it. In one case, the guy got "shot" and in another, he "shot" a guy in a situation much the same as in Ferguson. (for those in Rio Linda, the quotes are because it was a simulated exercise.)

Good for both sides here. Too bad the guy is going to have to find a new circle of friends as many haters are not going to talk to him again.

Propaganda. You're given just a gun so you don't have the option to use a taser, pepper spray, or a baton.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 21st, 2015 at 10:08:37 PM permalink
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/police-radar-see-through-walls/22007615/

This should make us all safer. [sarc] Did anyone see this mentioned on network news?
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
August 9th, 2015 at 11:24:34 AM permalink
I believe this is the one-year anniversary of the Ferguson shooting and I saw a newscast refer to the shooting as "a police officer that shot and killed an unarmed black man."

Of course using this terminology gives a false impression and doesn't really express what allegedly happened. It doesn't mention the fact that according to the police the black man used deadly aggression against the officer.

The newscast regarding the incident that occurred one year ago should've stated, "This is the story of an unarmed black man who police allege used deadly force against a police officer who then shot and killed the man."

This would've been fair and accurate reporting.

Are we as a nation so sympathetic to the idea that blacks are being killed for no reason that we allow news reports of this incident to be so one-sided in their portrayal?

Protesters in this one-year anniversary of the story stated that they were appalled at the lack of humanity because the body of the young man was allowed to stay in the street for over four hours before being removed. Did this one-year anniversary story include the reason the police left the body there for that length of time? No. And it left the impression that the protesters are correct.

Perhaps I have some facts wrong. I'm not interested in opening up a can of worms and reigniting this story. I'm only asking why the news coverage is so ridiculously biased.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 9th, 2015 at 11:55:37 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/police-radar-see-through-walls/22007615/

This should make us all safer. [sarc] Did anyone see this mentioned on network news?

Its hardly news. These have been around forever. It does not let them see through walls in the sense that somebody can sit there and watch you shower. All it does is detect where live bodies are in the house or room so they know where to expect resistance and they can see if somebody is waiting on the other side of the wall.

The Army has had these for eons. And, I imagine so have SWAT teams, its not news because it isn't. Its just a safety tool.

Its not like police walk down the street and look into random houses, these are for breaching entries, which means they already have a warrant to enter the house and arrest those inside it.
Gandler
Gandler
August 9th, 2015 at 11:59:21 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I believe this is the one-year anniversary of the Ferguson shooting and I saw a newscast refer to the shooting as "a police officer that shot and killed an unarmed black man."

Of course using this terminology gives a false impression and doesn't really express what allegedly happened. It doesn't mention the fact that according to the police the black man used deadly aggression against the officer.

The newscast regarding the incident that occurred one year ago should've stated, "This is the story of an unarmed black man who police allege used deadly force against a police officer who then shot and killed the man."

This would've been fair and accurate reporting.

Are we as a nation so sympathetic to the idea that blacks are being killed for no reason that we allow news reports of this incident to be so one-sided in their portrayal?

Protesters in this one-year anniversary of the story stated that they were appalled at the lack of humanity because the body of the young man was allowed to stay in the street for over four hours before being removed. Did this one-year anniversary story include the reason the police left the body there for that length of time? No. And it left the impression that the protesters are correct.

Perhaps I have some facts wrong. I'm not interested in opening up a can of worms and reigniting this story. I'm only asking why the news coverage is so ridiculously biased.

You don't have any facts wrong, the court agrees with all that you have said, and he was cleared of wrongdoing. The only reason he is no longer a cop is because he has received so many death threats he was afraid he would endanger his department.

Hating cops and protecting minorities is the new cool thing, even if the suspect in question is clearly the aggressor here and has a history of being a violent thug and in a gang.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 9th, 2015 at 12:34:15 PM permalink

I'm only asking why the news coverage is so ridiculously biased.

I'm guessing TV ratings.

Which would you more likely want to tune into the 11 o'clock news for:

Quote:

"This is the story of an unarmed black man who police allege used deadly force against a police officer who then shot and killed the man."

or

Quote:

"a police officer that shot and killed an unarmed black man."

Don't get me started on how they love to refer to a 19-year-old adult as a "teen." Ambiguous, but technically correct reporting rather than clear and precise reporting = sensationalism = ratings.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
petroglyph
petroglyph
August 9th, 2015 at 1:57:50 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Its hardly news. These have been around forever. It does not let them see through walls in the sense that somebody can sit there and watch you shower. All it does is detect where live bodies are in the house or room so they know where to expect resistance and they can see if somebody is waiting on the other side of the wall.

The Army has had these for eons. And, I imagine so have SWAT teams, its not news because it isn't. Its just a safety tool.

Its not like police walk down the street and look into random houses, these are for breaching entries, which means they already have a warrant to enter the house and arrest those inside it.

The tech has come a long way, me thinks.
Gandler
Gandler
August 9th, 2015 at 2:15:45 PM permalink

Probably, most technology does. That is usually a good thing.
petroglyph
petroglyph
August 9th, 2015 at 2:29:36 PM permalink

Probably, most technology does. That is usually a good thing.

It depends on whether or not they are up in your junk.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/08/warrantless-cell-phone-location-tracking/400775/

Where is our right to privacy?

I am not aware of any law I may be breaking but, Americans commit on average about 3 felonies per day: http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2013/01/17/a-broken-justice-system-most-americans-commit-about-three-felonies-a-day/
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 9th, 2015 at 2:36:37 PM permalink

...Where is our right to privacy?...

There is none anymore thanks to this phony war on terror.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 9th, 2015 at 3:00:35 PM permalink

Media has been one-sided in this way since the 1970s at least. Of course it is all a game and a plan. Keep the blacks riled up, keep the whites afraid of the blacks, make sure both do not notice what else is going on in front of them.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
August 9th, 2015 at 3:45:29 PM permalink

Media has been one-sided in this way since the 1970s at least. Of course it is all a game and a plan. Keep the blacks riled up, keep the whites afraid of the blacks, make sure both do not notice what else is going on in front of them.

+1,000,000 Divide and conquer
100% risk of ruin
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 9th, 2015 at 5:14:33 PM permalink

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/police-radar-see-through-walls/22007615/ This should make us all safer. [sarc] Did anyone see this mentioned on network news?

Well, the advertisement at that URL says it discerns breathing at 50 feet. But the accompanying illustration shows the beam passing through one exterior wall and then through two interior arches. That makes it appear as if two walls, and certainly three, should be enough to stop the beam.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 1st, 2015 at 11:21:27 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Here are a few things I have problems with in this case:

The kid was walking down the street when the cop saw him. The cigar store thing is not at issue; the cop is not trying to find the kid for that. He just sees 2 kids walking down the middle of the street and so HE starts the confrontation by challenging them for doing that. OK, fine, must be a city ordinance or something. But that's all that's happened from the COP's perspective initially.

Incorrect. He was walking in the middle of traffic when the cop saw him. You do not walk in the middle of traffic by mistake. It was intentional and something tough guys "in the hood" like to do. They like the idea that they are disrupting things and people will not do anything about it. Those who never get out of their peaceful suburbs and gated communities do not seem to get this.

Not to open an old thread for no reason, nor to single out BBB, (other people said similar to me about my thoughts) but I saw this and IMHO this is pretty much how it happened. Alright, I know it is a right-of-center site with the story. However, that does not change the facts of the story.

A woman is walking in the middle of the road, impeding traffic. Sidewalks right there. Now, a normal person would say, "sorry, officer, wasn't paying attention." While she did not attack them she did demand to take their pictures as if telling someone you just got run over by a truck is being "racist."

Lady Accuses Police Officers Of Stopping Her For “Walking While Black”… Then This Video Shows Up
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
November 1st, 2015 at 11:33:08 AM permalink

Quote: beachbumbabs

Here are a few things I have problems with in this case:

The kid was walking down the street when the cop saw him. The cigar store thing is not at issue; the cop is not trying to find the kid for that. He just sees 2 kids walking down the middle of the street and so HE starts the confrontation by challenging them for doing that. OK, fine, must be a city ordinance or something. But that's all that's happened from the COP's perspective initially.

Not to open an old thread for no reason, nor to single out BBB, (other people said similar to me about my thoughts) but I saw this and IMHO this is pretty much how it happened. Alright, I know it is a right-of-center site with the story. However, that does not change the facts of the story.

A woman is walking in the middle of the road, impeding traffic. Sidewalks right there. Now, a normal person would say, "sorry, officer, wasn't paying attention." While she did not attack them she did demand to take their pictures as if telling someone you just got run over by a truck is being "racist."

Lady Accuses Police Officers Of Stopping Her For “Walking While Black”… Then This Video Shows Up

Your last sentence isn't clear to me. I also could not open the video.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 1st, 2015 at 11:46:57 AM permalink

Your last sentence isn't clear to me. I also could not open the video.

What I am saying is it was a perfectly cordial stop, so why would you be hostile and demand pics of the cops? She was also the entire time taking an attitude that she was only stopped because she was black, not because she almost got run over. Also IMHO this is how it happened in Ferguson, except there the guy got violent over it, eventually reaching for the cop's gun.

Link opens for me, you need to scroll down the story to get the video.
Gandler
Gandler
November 1st, 2015 at 11:50:41 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/police-radar-see-through-walls/22007615/ This should make us all safer. [sarc] Did anyone see this mentioned on network news?

Well, the advertisement at that URL says it discerns breathing at 50 feet. But the accompanying illustration shows the beam passing through one exterior wall and then through two interior arches. That makes it appear as if two walls, and certainly three, should be enough to stop the beam.

Physics isn't my strong point, but I'm sure that there are all sort of factors, density of walls, materials, etc...

As long as it is used with a warrant I see no issue with it. It can save a lot of lives, not just cops, but potential hostages, innocent bystanders in the wrong place, etc...
  • Jump to: