nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
  • Threads: 31
June 9th, 2010 at 2:17:48 AM permalink
My girlfriend wants to book a room near the Strip or downtown for Sunday night because she is taking the next day off. So I did a little research and found some surprisingly good deals. It must be that time of year again. Would love to hear any opinions on the best mix of quality/value from my selections.

The following I consider acceptable 3-stars (though I haven't stayed at all): Hooters ($23) Four Queens ($24) Excalibur ($36) Bill's Saloon ($38) Riviera ($32) and Luxor ($42.50). The last rate is available only to locals.

We might decide to go more upscale, where there are more deals: Hilton ($50) Hard Rock ($74) Planet Hollywood ($69) and Paris ($76). The last two have no resort fee!

Also saw a $129 stay for locals at Four Seasons. It does not seem to limit you on days, so we might save this for a Friday or Saturday night.

Thoughts?
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 9th, 2010 at 2:31:28 AM permalink
My choice for value is the Tuscany. When I went there a couple of months ago the discount that they gave me covered the entire cost of the hotel room (I book with a flight). The rooms are abnormally large and I found everyone I came into contact with to be incredibly nice, including the dealers who went to the trouble to learning my name (as a low roller). My one complaint was a tiny 19" TV that was parallel with the bed (sitting back and watching TV didn't work too well, which is something I cherish). Also it's kind of setup like a motel, so there's a reasonably long walk but it can be just as bad in some of the gigantic towers. As a side, the Wizard has also mentioned that this is one of the best values in town.

Basically: If you haven't booked your flight yet just check their website and click "vacation specials", see if you can get a big discount.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
June 9th, 2010 at 2:35:07 AM permalink
Tuscany was about $25 for the night I looked. It didn't make my list because we either want luxury off-Strip or budget in a prime location.

I do want to try Tuscany some other time though.
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
June 9th, 2010 at 2:36:53 AM permalink
NYUHOOSIER - Since you're bringing your girlfriend along, I would say that of what you call a 3-star hotel, the Luxor ranks the highest. I've stayed at the Luxor, the rooms were nice and clean, gambling was ok, Spa was pretty nice etc. I've been to Hooters, and I would not take a significant other there. It's off strip technically, a long walk, and the ambiance is more a guy thing at best. Four Queens is ok, Excaliber is tacky like Hooters but in a different way. Not sure about Bill's or Riviera.

If you venture the upscale route, Hilton always has maintained good standards but its offstrip. HardRock I here is great for the young especially during the weekend pool rehab party, but I don't hear much good outside of that. My friend really likes the Paris, because she gets comps over there.

At $129/night for the Four Seasons, which is pretty darn good for that brand, wouldn't you consider Encore/Aria/Wynn/Bellagio? I know they're always sending out promos but those usually are at least 2 night stays.

Final Thoughts:
Value - Luxor
Brand - Hilton/Paris
Upscale - Skies the limit
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
June 9th, 2010 at 5:46:05 AM permalink
I only mentioned the Four Seasons because it was such an outstanding deal. (No resort fee there either.) We'll probably save that for another time. I'd consider Encore too at $129/a night including resort fee, but I don't think that is likely.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 9th, 2010 at 6:40:33 AM permalink
Quote: nyuhoosier

Hooters ($23) Four Queens ($24) Excalibur ($36) Bill's Saloon ($38) Riviera ($32) and Luxor ($42.50). The last rate is available only to locals.

I'd delete from your list of candidates: Hooters and Excalibur (Kids all over the place at Excalibur). If you choose Luxor you should be able to get a better rate there.

Tuscany is real good value but slight hike.

I don't know if anyone cares about resort fees... its more the UNquoted resort fees that are so annoying!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 9th, 2010 at 8:27:11 AM permalink
Yes, you should have good luck around the middle of your range. I would go with Luxor or Hilton or Hard Rock. Nice pools, nice amenities, good food options. Don't bother with the low end. Planet Hollywood could be fun and exciting. Hard Rock has a *great* pool (as you know). Make sure you are getting one of the new rooms there, or get upgraded when you arrive (if you can).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
likeplayingcrapsandbj
likeplayingcrapsandbj
  • Threads: 17
June 9th, 2010 at 8:51:36 AM permalink
The Venitian and Palazzo have "resort only fee, $17" deals going on.
Last Man at the Table
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
June 9th, 2010 at 9:14:27 AM permalink
I would go with the Luxor. Good location, clean, and a solid 3 star hotel.
Roghaltz
Roghaltz
  • Threads: 0
June 9th, 2010 at 11:22:21 AM permalink
If you are in a gambling mood ;) you might try Hotwire (since you won't know the name of the hotel until you pay)

A quick search shows many 3 to 5 star hotels for under $100. You can do a little digging here

to try to match up the amenities with the list of hotels

Good luck,
Roghaltz
thlf
thlf
  • Threads: 16
June 9th, 2010 at 12:25:25 PM permalink
Quote: Asswhoopermcdaddy

NYUHOOSIER - Since you're bringing your girlfriend along, I would say that of what you call a 3-star hotel, the Luxor ranks the highest. I've stayed at the Luxor, the rooms were nice and clean, gambling was ok, Spa was pretty nice etc. I've been to Hooters, and I would not take a significant other there. It's off strip technically, a long walk, and the ambiance is more a guy thing at best. Four Queens is ok, Excaliber is tacky like Hooters but in a different way. Not sure about Bill's or Riviera.

If you venture the upscale route, Hilton always has maintained good standards but its offstrip. HardRock I here is great for the young especially during the weekend pool rehab party, but I don't hear much good outside of that. My friend really likes the Paris, because she gets comps over there.

At $129/night for the Four Seasons, which is pretty darn good for that brand, wouldn't you consider Encore/Aria/Wynn/Bellagio? I know they're always sending out promos but those usually are at least 2 night stays.

Final Thoughts:
Value - Luxor
Brand - Hilton/Paris
Upscale - Skies the limit

Check out this recent review of the luxor.

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2010/6/3/174948/5514/vegas-travel/The_Ancient_Egyptian_Theme_Appears_to_Stretch_to_Luxor_s_Cleaning_Techniques

My wife and I stayed there last weekend as well and were very disappointed.
toastcmu
toastcmu
  • Threads: 17
June 9th, 2010 at 1:46:00 PM permalink
I'm surprised that Harrah's isn't on the list. It's pretty central, and is a step up from the basic Flamingo rooms - rates are usually in the same ballpark. Just something to consider. Given your choices, I'd say Bill's or PHo would be my next choices.

-B
Jumboshrimps
Jumboshrimps
  • Threads: 14
June 9th, 2010 at 2:29:09 PM permalink
Here's something I discovered recently. The only four-star hotel downtown is Golden Nuggett. That's useful because you can bid freely on Priceline at the four star level and know exacly which hotel you're bidding on. I recently got Friday and Saturday nights there for $59/ night. You won't get that price anywhere else.
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
June 9th, 2010 at 2:52:04 PM permalink
Thanks for all the tips. I have used the Golden Nugget trick as well!

We decided on Paris Las Vegas at only $40 for the night. When I entered my player's card # in the hotel website it knocked the price from $80 to $40, so I think that is far and a way the best deal of any I mentioned. Total, including all taxes and fees, $44.95.

The resort fees make a huge difference when you're comparing prices because they range from $0 at all Harrah's properties to $22.50 at the Venetian/Palazzo. For my calculus, as a local, that is a significant thing to consider.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 9th, 2010 at 3:47:42 PM permalink
$40 at Paris is a great deal.

I went there on a Wednesday night once, and they upgraded me without me asking. I only tipped the guy $5 because I didn't know what he had upgraded me to. I get to the room, and it was unbelievable. Giant suite, with 2 bathrooms, jacuzzi tub and a large flat screen TV.

Since you're going on a Sunday night, if you tip the front desk guy $10-$20, I'm sure you can get an amazing room as well.
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
June 9th, 2010 at 6:13:56 PM permalink
Quote: thlf

Check out this recent review of the luxor.

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2010/6/3/174948/5514/vegas-travel/The_Ancient_Egyptian_Theme_Appears_to_Stretch_to_Luxor_s_Cleaning_Techniques

My wife and I stayed there last weekend as well and were very disappointed.

THLF - Sorry to see from your pictures that your suite was not up to par. I'm a bit surprised and I would have definitely complained. When I stayed there last (regular room facing the corner of the MGM Grand from my window), the room was spotless and not cluttered by what I saw in your suite.

NYUHOOSIER - Glad you chose the Paris. Have a great time and be sure to post your experiences.
  • Jump to: