Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 21st, 2014 at 12:59:20 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Only a dozen? You got lucky, they often change
a couple times a year.

Amateur. Mine changes minimum 5 times per conversation ><
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 21st, 2014 at 1:16:14 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Amateur. Mine changes minimum 5 times per conversation ><

I meant major changes. The minor ones are
a given. The frustrating thing is, they don't
see it. If you bring it up they get real pissed
because it makes them look like they're nuts.

If the shoe fits. I've said before that women
drinking in the bar were the absolute worst.
With their inhibitions lowered, many of them
became emotional basket cases right before
your eyes. I don't miss that job at all..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 21st, 2014 at 2:26:46 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Don't marry.

Don't reproduce.

Don't fall in love.

Devote all your spare time to gambling and the internet.

Problem solved.

Has served my life well this way! Only one woman I ever met I might have wanted to marry, in the end she would have been too smart and active to be compatible with me. Never once wish I had reproduced. Not for a second. I don't fear dying alone.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
September 21st, 2014 at 2:47:50 PM permalink

While I don't claim to be familiar with NJ state and local court rules re: withdrawal of attorneys, I am certain you could have withdrawn earlier, had you not waited too long.

Why wait to be "trapped" into staying on involuntarily on a divorce trial?

Just withdraw earlier.

Easy.

It is NY but NJ is similar…and, sometimes, even 3-6 months prior to trial is "too late" in the mind of some judges. This is not "on the eve of trial" — but, to the legal system, all attorneys are wealthy and can represent anyone they force us to without pay.

I have seen judges call attorneys waiting on other cases and "deputize" them into a case they know nothing about when a pro se litigant is clueless - asking them "Mr. XXX, have you done any pro bono work this year? Well, now you will."
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 2:55:08 PM permalink

Don't marry.

Don't reproduce.

Don't fall in love.

Devote all your spare time to gambling and the internet.

Problem solved.

Makes me think of this (ladies, you can substitute males, but most males are stupid enough to give you currency lol)

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 21st, 2014 at 2:56:19 PM permalink
All I can say is: "Wow!"

Out west, we withdraw via filing a Notice of Intent to Withdraw, giving ten days notice.

If the matter is scheduled for trial, the withdrawing attorney must state the trial date, but no "permission" to withdraw is necessary.

The other party has the right to object, but only rarely is that done.

It always intrigues me how different states do things differently.
"What, me worry?"
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 3:06:29 PM permalink

All I can say is: "Wow!"

Out west, we withdraw via filing a Notice of Intent to Withdraw, giving ten days notice.

If the matter is scheduled for trial, the withdrawing attorney must state the trial date, but no "permission" to withdraw is necessary.

The other party has the right to object, but only rarely is that done.

It always intrigues me how different states do things differently.

Yup, NY only allows mandatory withdrawal in certain special cases, otherwise, you need judicial permission (and not being paid is not one of the reasons judges give permission for - you basically have to accuse your client of no longer being responsive to your advice or that there is a total breakdown of communication between the client and you). of course, the client can oppose this, as well as the other side.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 21st, 2014 at 3:18:24 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Yup, NY only allows mandatory withdrawal in certain special cases, otherwise, you need judicial permission (and not being paid is not one of the reasons judges give permission for - you basically have to accuse your client of no longer being responsive to your advice or that there is a total breakdown of communication between the client and you). of course, the client can oppose this, as well as the other side.

I did a couple weeks worth of work for a client, we went to trial in municipal court for a criminal housing code violation, I got him off on a technicality. Got yelled at by the judge. We went for beers next door to celebrate. A week later, I sent him the bill for a not-insignificant amount of money.

Nine months later, still haven't seen a penny. Later found out he was in prison for three years. I will NEVER do another trial in my life if I can help it. I want only one client -- ExxonMobil. At least you know they can pay their bills ;).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 21st, 2014 at 3:30:01 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I did a couple weeks worth of work for a client, we went to trial in municipal court for a criminal housing code violation, I got him off on a technicality. Got yelled at by the judge. We went for beers next door to celebrate. A week later, I sent him the bill for a not-insignificant amount of money.

CRIMINAL housing code violation? And a couple weeks? Was his name Walter or Jessee?

But all for oil work, as you and everyone here knows! Hoping my project gets picked up for phase-2! Really do not want to pack for North Dakota this time of year.......
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 21st, 2014 at 3:38:11 PM permalink
Teddys , I can assume your attitude towards your housing trial client is aligned with that of my late lawyer ?

" I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure. "
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 3:42:38 PM permalink
I love when a client that owes me thousands of dollars informs me they won't be available a certain upcoming week because the "case has stressed them out so much" that they "booked a vacation"
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 3:51:54 PM permalink

I love when a client that owes me thousands of dollars informs me they won't be available a certain upcoming week because the "case has stressed them out so much" that they "booked a vacation"

I have been warned about my conduct here. So please be aware the following quotes should not be attributed to me.

Teddys mentor rightfully deserved all the credit for this bit of wisdom :

" The trouble with law is lawyers. "
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 3:54:00 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

" The trouble with law is lawyers. "

Really Buzz - can you explain how this is true please?
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 4:01:12 PM permalink
Aceofspades, You know the devil is in the details. Your argument is not with me. That is not my quote !

But I have heard if a lawyer is the only one in a town , he will starve to death. If there are only two, both will prosper and become rich.

I could elucidate, but new management is already looking for a reason to suspend me.

And intelligent and courteous responses are now classified as Trolling.

This is not a quite from Tito, but from the founder of our great country !

" If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. "
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 4:09:19 PM permalink

Aceofspades, You know the devil is in the details. Your argument is not with me. That is not my quote !

But I have heard if a lawyer is the only one in a town , he will starve to death. If there are only two, both will prosper and become rich.

I could elucidate, but new management is already looking for a reason to suspend me.

" If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. "

Buzz - whether you are the quote's originator is not the question…you published the quote in your post and you should stand by it and elucidate the point thereof.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 4:15:17 PM permalink

Buzz - whether you are the quote's originator is not the question…you published the quote in your post and you should stand by it and elucidate the point thereof.

The late Clarence Darrow said it, nor me. Was he a lawyer ? Not sure.

Anyway, are you free to do some research for me. At your normal hourly billing ?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 21st, 2014 at 4:17:29 PM permalink

People still think being a lawyer is like "L.A. Law" or "Better Call Saul." Like most TV, it can't be further from the truth. I lived with one a few months. If renting a room for $400 a month and sitting around watching John Wayne movies on the weekend is someone's idea of luxury, this guy had it. He drove a Ford Focus. He was about 50 IIRC. His life was a step above living in college. (At least we got to laugh because the kid that owned the house seemed to be afraid of us, that part was fun.)

I work around a few. Lots of time spent trying to get clients if they are trying to build a practice. Many had the mundane task of checking the mundane work I had already gone over. If one does get into the McKenze-Brackman level firm they will have no life as they must bill off 2,000+ hours per year to justify their own salary and leave enough revenue for the support staff.

If people were not looking for a lawsuit lottery win we would not have nearly the lawyer image we have.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 4:18:38 PM permalink
Or can you recommend someone with expertise in Serbia-USA Free Trade agreements ?
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 21st, 2014 at 4:34:52 PM permalink

I'm beginning to think that you're trying to get yourself suspended or banned. What gives, Buzz? If you are, you might as well go out with a bang and get it all off your chest.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 5:16:02 PM permalink

The late Clarence Darrow said it, nor me. Was he a lawyer ? Not sure.

Anyway, are you free to do some research for me. At your normal hourly billing ?

So you have no ability to stand behind your quote - deflection is your only defense?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 21st, 2014 at 5:34:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I work around a few. Lots of time spent trying to get clients if they are trying to build a practice. Many had the mundane task of checking the mundane work I had already gone over. If one does get into the McKenze-Brackman level firm they will have no life as they must bill off 2,000+ hours per year to justify their own salary and leave enough revenue for the support staff.

True. It really is a no-win situation. I will say if you do get into a high-level firm they will work you to death but make it VERY pleasant for you in terms of perks, compensation, etc. But they also highly leverage you and you have a lot of billable hours.

I like my current job because I can make as much as MOST law firm jobs and more or less set my own hours, without any partner or boss breathing down my neck. Also my firm is quite fair and does not leverage us out as much as law firms leverage their associates. Yes, our work is mundane as hell but I can deal with it. Law school teaches you more than anything how to endure crushing boredom :)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 21st, 2014 at 5:58:30 PM permalink

I like my current job because I can make as much as MOST law firm jobs and more or less set my own hours, without any partner or boss breathing down my neck. Also my firm is quite fair and does not leverage us out as much as law firms leverage their associates. Yes, our work is mundane as hell but I can deal with it. Law school teaches you more than anything how to endure crushing boredom :)

I sit near my crew chief (yes, that is the title all you non O/G people) and hear about people "setting their own hours." My favorite has to be the girl who insisted she could not be "forced" to come in because we are independent contractors. When reminded that we have to come in to use the courthouse when needed she repeated the first line!

Haven't seen her in weeks.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 5:59:30 PM permalink

So you have no ability to stand behind your quote - deflection is your only defense?

I quote a respected member of the bar and now it is my responsibility to stand behind his quote ?

Next you will be asking me to defend John T. Scopes I am a native Baltimoron, but I am not H L Mencken, nor a cynic. Merely a seeker of truth.

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 21st, 2014 at 6:06:27 PM permalink

I quote a respected member of the bar and now it is my responsibility to stand behind his quote ?

Ace is asking WHY you posted the quote, what
were you implying by posting it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 21st, 2014 at 6:07:50 PM permalink

Next you will be asking me to defend John T. Scopes I am a native Baltimoron, but I am not H L Mencken, nor a cynic. Merely a seeker of truth.

There was a Doonesbury strip 40 years ago or so that went: (paraphrasing)

"Oh, great Guru, what is a cynic?" (from a crowd of seekers around a leader)

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

The crowd goes wild.

The guru thinks, 'I've got to start charging for this stuff.'
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 21st, 2014 at 6:24:17 PM permalink

If you quote something, you should be prepared to stand by it (whether you were using is as a pro or a con)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 21st, 2014 at 7:46:07 PM permalink

I did a couple weeks worth of work for a client, we went to trial in municipal court...Nine months later, still haven't seen a penny...I will NEVER do another trial in my life if I can help it.

Five words to remember, counsellor:

"Get the money up front."

Simple.
"What, me worry?"
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 8:46:55 PM permalink

If you quote something, you should be prepared to stand by it (whether you were using is as a pro or a con)

Well can we start with this statement ? The minute you read something that you can't understand, you can almost be sure that it was drawn up by a lawyer.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 8:52:42 PM permalink
“The Lawyers Know Too Much

THE LAWYERS, Bob, know too much.
They are chums of the books of old John Marshall.
They know it all, what a dead hand wrote,
A stiff dead hand and its knuckles crumbling,
The bones of the fingers a thin white ash.
The lawyers know
a dead man’s thoughts too well.

In the heels of the higgling lawyers, Bob,
Too many slippery ifs and buts and howevers,
Too much hereinbefore provided whereas,
Too many doors to go in and out of.

When the lawyers are through
What is there left, Bob?
Can a mouse nibble at it
And find enough to fasten a tooth in?

Why is there always a secret singing
When a lawyer cashes in?
Why does a hearse horse snicker
Hauling a lawyer away?
The work of a bricklayer goes to the blue.
The knack of a mason outlasts a moon.
The hands of a plasterer hold a room together.
The land of a farmer wishes him back again.
Singers of songs and dreamers of plays
Build a house no wind blows over.
The lawyers—tell me why a hearse horse snickers hauling a lawyer’s bones.”
― Carl Sandburg

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/7250875-anthology-of-magazine-verse-for-1920
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 21st, 2014 at 9:27:07 PM permalink
Dearest Aces of Spades :
Please ignore all my prior posts about lawyers. It is indeed a noble profession.

And can be the pathway to an excellent career, even for a child born in Kotor.

Thank you for understanding that I sometimes type before my brain is engaged !
  • Jump to: