11 votes (61.11%)
3 votes (16.66%)
5 votes (27.77%)

18 members have voted

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 18th, 2014 at 1:10:26 PM permalink
How many of you will be filling out brackets this year? Also, how have your past predictions turned out?

I've been doing brackets for years now, yet my March Madness record has been significantly worse than my NFL and NBA picks, for whatever reason. I'm sure the same pathetic result will happen again this year. lol
Fighting BS one post at a time!
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
February 18th, 2014 at 1:34:42 PM permalink
My biggest concern is where to hedge for half a billion $ if I get the first 62 games right
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 18th, 2014 at 1:52:11 PM permalink
I definitely want to do brackets; it's one of my favorite sports things of the year, and Creighton has one of the best players ever, so I'll be watching. I'm hoping there might be a WoV Bracket Challenge??? Anybody? Buehler? Ferris Buehler? Not to mention the Buffett entry. In fact, I think we should use the same entries for both, if we do one here.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 18th, 2014 at 3:32:59 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

My biggest concern is where to hedge for half a billion $ if I get the first 62 games right

This brings up an interesting question. At what point in the tourney do you go to vegas and start hedging against your up-to-that-point-perfect bracket?

I haven't really thought about it but I'm guessing if I had a perfect first weekend (48 games) I would be booking flights. I'm not sure exactly how I would hedge the S16 games, but I'm sure I would be laying heavy money on Saturday and Sunday (regional finals).
bushman
bushman
February 18th, 2014 at 3:38:14 PM permalink
Always do a bracket at ESPN. Lately, I have stunk it up. Of course, when you get the one upset in the 1st or 2nd (or, should I now say, 2nd or 3rd) round, one gets really hosed. I believe it will be a tough bracket this year. While Syracuse and Arizona seem to be the *edit: "cream of the " crop, I don't buy the kool-aid. Competition is not nearly as strong this year (hmm...seems lately that the parity is a lot better over the last few years.) Of course, there are the perennial contenders: UNC; Duke; Fla; Syracuse; Mich. St. But let's look at WSU; SDSU; KU. It's anybody's to win, this year.
Never count your winnings at hour 23 of a 24-hour drive.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
February 18th, 2014 at 3:48:45 PM permalink
I always fill out a bracket. I've picked the winner probably twice in the last 15 years. But it is always fun.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 18th, 2014 at 6:05:01 PM permalink
I was hoping someone would put together a bracket on here. I would organize it but I am not allowed to take paypal (long story) so it is always tough for me to take payments.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
endermike
endermike
February 18th, 2014 at 6:18:41 PM permalink
Here are some other fun games besides the standard pool:

games

I run a spread dread each year with people local to me. We pay out things like s16 and f4 teams along the way. It's good even EV fun.

If we were to run a pool on WoV I recommend:
-Crazy Eights because I think it is a fun mix of strategy and bball knowledge. I also think it's more interesting than a standard pool. -Great Eight because the drafting process can be really fun. Also following the teams you own is great.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 18th, 2014 at 6:19:16 PM permalink
Nope and won't have to endure any burden watching games or trying in vain to beat the odds. I hate basketball.
I am a robot.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
February 19th, 2014 at 11:15:30 AM permalink
I asked and received permission from the Wizard to run an NCAA basketball tournament this year for members of this site. In the next couple of weeks, I'll start a new thread with contest rules, deadlines, stakes, etc. As the contest administrator, I will not be financially participating in the pool, but will be playing along just for scoring purposes.

There will be a contest fee that will be distributed in its entirety to first and second place (approx 65%/35%) or three winners (approx 50%/30%/20%) depending on the size of the prize pool. And like the NFL spread pool that Mission previously ran, the contestants in this will be on their honor to pay the prize winners directly. The Wiz is not responsible for any payment, and likewise, I'm not comfortable with holding any entry fees.

It will be structured so that the losers, err, non-winners, will only need to pay one person, and not split up payments. More on this later once I kick off the official thread.

So I have a couple questions for those who might play.

1) What is a reasonable entry fee? I was thinking somewhere between $10-$25?

2) What are your thoughts on multiple entries?

3) Are there any preferred formats? I originally only considered a common bracket challenge (potentially leveraging a common web site to handle the entry and the scoring), but endermike presented some other interesting possibilities in a previous post on this thread games. In particular the Crazy Eights looks like fun and would be fairly simple to administer.
bushman
bushman
February 19th, 2014 at 11:25:10 AM permalink
Me, I like just the common tournament bracket format. If you want to go with a different type of bracket, I would vote for "Slow Death."

*Edit: I want to thank you for taking on the task of running this bracket.
kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
February 19th, 2014 at 11:25:30 AM permalink
MidwestAP I will play only if there is a prize for last place! I have been just dead wrong for picks on March Madness for so long now.
endermike
endermike
February 19th, 2014 at 11:35:04 AM permalink
1) $5-$25 depending on the format and the answer to 2)
2) Yes, allow it
3) Very open to formats
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 19th, 2014 at 11:39:13 AM permalink
I am in favor of multiple entries. The more the merrier.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 19th, 2014 at 12:36:44 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

3) Are there any preferred formats? I originally only considered a common bracket challenge (potentially leveraging a common web site to handle the entry and the scoring), but endermike presented some other interesting possibilities in a previous post on this thread games. In particular the Crazy Eights looks like fun and would be fairly simple to administer.

I like $20.

No multiple entries

I've always wanted to participate in a bracket that has this rule... you get more points if you predict an upset.
Specifically, in the first round if you pick a 15 to beat a 2, and it happens, you get 15(the seed) x 1(the round) for 15 points.
If you pick the 2 seed you would only get 2 points. If in the 3rd round you pick a 5 to win, you would get 15 points.
This way someone who only picks the favorites does not have a huge advantage.
(I do NOT consider the play in games at all, I consider the first round when they are down to 64 teams, that is, the opening Thursday of the tournament)

I can imagine someone with more time and know how than I have, being able to guess which seeds have the best EV! 16 would be the least, never having even won a single game. Maybe one of our math guys can go over some past results if they find this of interest.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
February 19th, 2014 at 1:13:23 PM permalink
I'm in... One entry allowed in my opinion. 10-25 bucks entry sounds good
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
February 19th, 2014 at 1:37:31 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I like $20.

No multiple entries

I've always wanted to participate in a bracket that has this rule... you get more points if you predict an upset.
Specifically, in the first round if you pick a 15 to beat a 2, and it happens, you get 15(the seed) x 1(the round) for 15 points.
If you pick the 2 seed you would only get 2 points. If in the 3rd round you pick a 5 to win, you would get 15 points.
(I do NOT consider the play in games at all, I consider the first round when they are down to 64 teams, that is, the opening Thursday of the tournament)

I can imagine someone with more time and know how than I have, being able to guess which seeds have the best EV! 16 would be the least, never having even won a single game. Maybe one of our math guys can go over some past results if they find this of interest.

This is a pretty interesting twist. Would the seed value carry through all rounds? I'm guessing it would.

Perhaps we could have the larger prize for the traditional rating, and the 2nd prize be ranking this way, rather than a 1st and 2nd?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 19th, 2014 at 1:48:40 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This is a pretty interesting twist. Would the seed value carry through all rounds? I'm guessing it would.

Perhaps we could have the larger prize for the traditional rating, and the 2nd prize be ranking this way, rather than a 1st and 2nd?

Yes The seed value carries through each round. I believe my suggestion requires more skill than any other bracket system I've seen. Which is why I've never done particularly well on them....
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 19th, 2014 at 2:13:12 PM permalink
I won last year (thanks Nate Silver) so I have nothing left to prove.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
GWAE
GWAE
February 19th, 2014 at 4:37:48 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: SOOPOO

I like $20.

No multiple entries

I don't think that is a good idea at all. The strategy is different on both types of brackets.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
February 20th, 2014 at 2:51:30 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I don't think that is a good idea at all. The strategy is different on both types of brackets.

I agree, using the same bracket but scoring it two different ways presents some challenges for the submitter (not to mention the administrator). In my opinion, the strategy for a traditional scoring system vs. a seed weighted scoring system is different and should be treated as different contests.
GWAE
GWAE
February 20th, 2014 at 4:28:46 AM permalink

I asked and received permission from the Wizard to run an NCAA basketball tournament this year for members of this site. In the next couple of weeks, I'll start a new thread with contest rules, deadlines, stakes, etc. As the contest administrator, I will not be financially participating in the pool, but will be playing along just for scoring purposes.

There will be a contest fee that will be distributed in its entirety to first and second place (approx 65%/35%) or three winners (approx 50%/30%/20%) depending on the size of the prize pool. And like the NFL spread pool that Mission previously ran, the contestants in this will be on their honor to pay the prize winners directly. The Wiz is not responsible for any payment, and likewise, I'm not comfortable with holding any entry fees.

It will be structured so that the losers, err, non-winners, will only need to pay one person, and not split up payments. More on this later once I kick off the official thread.

Why not play for money yourself? Especially if we are using a website like cbs sports or ESPN I don't see any reason why the admin couldn't play also. Unless of course you just don't want to.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
February 20th, 2014 at 7:09:34 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Why not play for money yourself? Especially if we are using a website like cbs sports or ESPN I don't see any reason why the admin couldn't play also. Unless of course you just don't want to.

I would agree; with 3rd party entries it's transparent and you can get some skin in the game.

I still think the challenge of picking the 64 can be enjoyable from a single card to both scales. But I can also go with a double game; what about traditional for 15 and seed weight for 10? 2 winners in the 1st @ 66.6/33.3 and 1 in the 2nd. Total commitment 25, and a better chance of winning for everybody.
bushman
bushman
February 20th, 2014 at 8:06:51 AM permalink
Updating my thoughts:

1) $20 seems to be prevalent, and I am down with that.

2) No multiple entries. You should only pick what you think is correct. I run a group on ESPN. I make it very clear, as the contest allows multiple entries, to my fellow players that they must designate very clearly what set of picks is their true picks. The only reason I allow multiple entries there is because somebody can win big money, or a car, or tickets to the next year's final four.

3) Again, common bracket works best for me.

Just my $0.02.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
February 21st, 2014 at 11:33:17 AM permalink
So another question. I know I can create a standard bracket contest on CBS Sports or ESPN web sites and have participants enter through a link. But what about some of the other types of contests like one weighted by seed, what sites host these types of basketball contests?
GWAE
GWAE
February 21st, 2014 at 6:47:35 PM permalink

So another question. I know I can create a standard bracket contest on CBS Sports or ESPN web sites and have participants enter through a link. But what about some of the other types of contests like one weighted by seed, what sites host these types of basketball contests?

I personally like yahoo for their bracket software.

I was trying to see if they had other options for scoring but I can't locate any bracket info. I suppose it is too early.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 22nd, 2014 at 5:42:49 AM permalink

I have never seen my suggestion, the "seed number times the round number" method, ever. I made it up myself. That is not to say someone else hasn't thought of it before and is already using it. I much prefer my system, as it encourages underdog selection, as opposed to the 'easy' way of just picking the higher seed. Some one smarter at handicapping college hoops will have a great time playing this way.... If you handicap the 4 seed as being a 65% winner over the 13 seed... who do you pick? Clearly for round one you have better EV on the 13, but you also must include EV for future rounds as well... Way more fun than the traditional way of scoring.....

Any one of us has access to multiple websites where they can enter a bracket with traditional scoring... Since this is a website which fosters 'out of the box' type thinking, I submit that my system is the way to go.
  • Jump to: