2 votes (11.11%)
7 votes (38.88%)

18 members have voted

AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 5th, 2014 at 4:26:23 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You do this for a living and he's arguing with you. Amazing.

Yeah, just like the nurses say that they know more than the doctors, and the workers at any company will tell you that they know more than the people who are actually in charge.

Sorry, but I'll take my medical advice from a real medical professional.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
February 5th, 2014 at 4:49:10 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Yeah, just like the nurses say that they know more than the doctors, and the workers at any company will tell you that they know more than the people who are actually in charge.

Sorry, but I'll take my medical advice from a real medical professional.

http://943thepoint.com/what-are-the-most-trusted-and-least-trusted-professions/
if nurses and pharmacists were telling patients that they know more than doctors and giving out faulty info....they wouldnt be the top 2 most trusted professions in the country.

It seems people trust their nurses and pharmacists over their own doctor.

so those 2 professions must be doing something right.

its just a fact...

not an opinion
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 5th, 2014 at 4:55:15 PM permalink
So what you guys are saying that I should ask my pharmacist over my nurse which SUPPLEMENTS to take? Maybe I should ask my pshychologist if it is ok to take natural testosterone enhancers?

What can my pshychiatrist prescribe me? Perhaps some St. Johns Wart???

Ok, enough of me being facetious........

Glad I could spark a conversation about health care professionals :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 5th, 2014 at 6:40:34 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

http://943thepoint.com/what-are-the-most-trusted-and-least-trusted-professions/
if nurses and pharmacists were telling patients that they know more than doctors and giving out faulty info....they wouldnt be the top 2 most trusted professions in the country.

so those 2 professions must be doing something right.

its just a fact...

not an opinion

Yeah and people trust their blackjack dealers to give them good playing advice and their cabbies to give them good sports betting picks.

People make very, very strange decisions all the time.
LarryS
LarryS
February 5th, 2014 at 8:39:48 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Yeah and people trust their blackjack dealers to give them good playing advice and their cabbies to give them good sports betting picks.

People make very, very strange decisions all the time.

for some reason I thought of a saying I heard coined by television judge from nevada...Mills Lane

"If you act like a jackass....people are gonna want to ride you"

all I can say in closing

is

thanks for the ride.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 5th, 2014 at 9:22:29 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I trust my doc up to a point. I've seen too much crap
over the years to ever trust one completely. I absolutely
trust the pharm over the doc on drugs, they've never
let me down. My sister in law has been a nurse for
30 years and she always has dozens of new doctor
screw up stories. She says most hospital nurses hate
the doctors because they always try and blame their
mistakes on them. This makes the nurses extra vigilant
to watch for doctor mistakes, or they will get the blame.

There's a funny scene on That 70's Show where
the mom is at work as a hospital nurse and the docs
are constantly making errors that the nurses cover for.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
February 5th, 2014 at 9:43:33 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

So what you guys are saying that I should ask my pharmacist over my nurse which SUPPLEMENTS to take? Maybe I should ask my pshychologist if it is ok to take natural testosterone enhancers?

If by natural testosterone enhancers you mean things like tongkat ali, or tribulus then they don't work. But often times older guys have excess estrogen, so a course of arimidex can help with that. Go to an endocrinologist and get all of your hormone levels tested first, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 5th, 2014 at 11:12:11 PM permalink

Actually, I am saying exactly that. American licensed pharmacists know a huge amount about supplements vitamins and holistic herbs, and their interaction with other substances. They will talk your ear off about it if you want because it's been covered extensively in their training and professional refresher schools.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 6th, 2014 at 12:19:31 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Actually, I am saying exactly that. American licensed pharmacists know a huge amount about supplements vitamins and holistic herbs, and their interaction with other substances. They will talk your ear off about it if you want because it's been covered extensively in their training and professional refresher schools.

I was trying to be funny because the thread had skewed a little but your point is well taken! :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 6th, 2014 at 12:37:01 AM permalink
I don't know why pharms are being trashed in this
thread, I've trusted them as much as my doc for
over 30 years, they have an incredible amount
of info stored in their noggins.
LarryS
LarryS
February 6th, 2014 at 9:46:23 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I don't know why pharms are being trashed in this
thread, I've trusted them as much as my doc for
over 30 years, they have an incredible amount
of info stored in their noggins.

Actually its just one guy, and its my fault it went on so long. Instead of engaging someone with ignorance on any subject....its best just to make a statement and move on. I was told long long ago (and I guess I havenet learned )......there are 2 types of people you can never win a debate with....1) a person more knowledgeable than you. and 2) a fool

They guy started off making ignorant general statements like....pharmacists are not qualified to do this r that.....and then when confronted with facts went off on a tangent about blackjack dealers who supposedly have 6 years college training in their field according to him, in order to make a comparison.

Its best to try to educate people at first...but if they dont want to learn or are incapable of learning ...dont press it.

And if its just really all opinion on both sides...then its fine to debate away....

This happened to be a topic with no real debate.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 6th, 2014 at 10:05:56 AM permalink

With the untimely demise of PSH it got me thinking about stimulants and supplements.
Coffee is a stimulant I believe and its pro's and con's have been discussed here at length.

I'm more interested to find out about supplement and vitamin usage. Do you use supplements or vitamins on a daily basis? Are the supplements that help you improve your concentration while playing a long stint of VP or blackjack?
What about help with sleep? Do you require supplements to help with quality of sleep?

I am embarking on an intense diet to try and shed some pounds before I head home. I will also be taking some natural testosterone as I'm a male over 35 years of age. It is a vegetable based product which has received some good reviews online. I will also increase my daily dosage of Omega III, Vitamin B12 and a multi-vitamin.

Do you think all supplements and vitamins are a waste of time or are there some that help you in your daily life?

Back to the OP...

I've never taken suppliments. Seems a waste, but then again, I've not done any serious research into it. I just eat what I want. I do believe that "cravings" are your body's way of letting you know it's short on something. And I don't mean craving candy or sweets, that's just your reward center crying like it always does. But every now and again I'll get a deep hankerin' for something, like seafood or some weird vegetable that I never usually eat. It's not a "hunger" feeling, but a "desire" almost. Like I need it. So I go get it.

I certainly notice a change in my personal testosterone level. Not to say I'm anywhere near deficient, I'm just off that high of adolescence. And a deep, physical workout always set me to rights, makes me feel like an animal again. Of course, not everyone is of the age or physical set to go play football or hockey, but even "everyman" stuff like raking a yard or chopping wood seems to get the juices flowing again. Anything that makes you "feel the burn" and leaves you sweaty and tired will fix you right up.

And shed those pounds!
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 6th, 2014 at 12:26:55 PM permalink
In the 80's I got a script for Ibuprofin, the
strong stuff. My pharm said don't waste your
money, just take 4 regular OTC tablets, it
was the same thing. Never would have
occurred to me. He also said never take more
than 16 a day, something my doc didn't know.
He said 'read the label'. Duh..
LarryS
LarryS
February 6th, 2014 at 12:40:26 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Back to the OP...

I've never taken suppliments. Seems a waste, but then again, I've not done any serious research into it. I just eat what I want. I do believe that "cravings" are your body's way of letting you know it's short on something. And I don't mean craving candy or sweets, that's just your reward center crying like it always does. But every now and again I'll get a deep hankerin' for something, like seafood or some weird vegetable that I never usually eat. It's not a "hunger" feeling, but a "desire" almost. Like I need it. So I go get it.

I certainly notice a change in my personal testosterone level. Not to say I'm anywhere near deficient, I'm just off that high of adolescence. And a deep, physical workout always set me to rights, makes me feel like an animal again. Of course, not everyone is of the age or physical set to go play football or hockey, but even "everyman" stuff like raking a yard or chopping wood seems to get the juices flowing again. Anything that makes you "feel the burn" and leaves you sweaty and tired will fix you right up.

And shed those pounds!

There is prescription testosterone for those whose blood test show they need it. Usually applied on the skin in a gel or a patch(like nicotine).

However most people who feel "sluggish" has nothing to do with testosterone. It has to do with a stressful job., stressful home life, and a sedintary lifestyle, and obesity.

The feeling there is a pill or powder/liquid to take care of this is wishfull thinking

I see commercials by the football player bill romanowski fopr some powder that will give you muscle mass and burn fat. My guess is that when you buy it. they will tell you that you have to excersize along with it . You cannot drink a protein shake with nutrients in it....and sit around all day and expect your muscle mass to increase and your fat to burn off.

If you eat a normal cross section of foods....you generally dont need "shakes" to help you get in shape and feel more energy. Instead you need to exersize, sleep well(which was discussed before), possibly lose some weight, have a better work/life balance.

If people havent had a complete lab panel done in a while....the older you get...the better off you are getting one. No sense working in the dark. You may be "tired" for a real medical reason.

And if you are tired for a medical reason...those "shakes" wont help you anyway.

If someone is tired, more than usual...I would tell them to see a doctor for tests...it could be anemia, a thyroid issue, even serious issues like leukemia. I wont even try to give an all inclusive list. Just some examples.

Just saying....I never once reccommended those "shakes"...and I have never had a patient come up to me and say...can you show me where the xxx powder is...my doctor says I should take it.
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
February 6th, 2014 at 1:00:11 PM permalink
I've experimented with a wide range of supplements over the years. I currently take about 1/2 g caffeine per day, fish oil, and a good multi-mineral. I've never been a fan of megadosing antioxidants and don't even bother with a multi-vitamin at present. Vitamin A, in particular, doesn't mix with smoking or alcohol, iirc.

I take several other supplements intermittently including b-vitamins, l-tyrosine, Forskohlii w/artichoke extract, ALCAR, L-theanine, extra magnesium, and melatonin.

I have not been impressed with Ginko or St John's Wort which were mentioned earlier in this thread. I was a non-responder to Piracetam, and I think some supplements, such as Dopabeans, are probably dangerous.
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 6th, 2014 at 5:00:09 PM permalink
Quote: socks

I've experimented with a wide range of supplements over the years. I currently take about 1/2 g caffeine per day, fish oil, and a good multi-mineral. I've never been a fan of megadosing antioxidants and don't even bother with a multi-vitamin at present. Vitamin A, in particular, doesn't mix with smoking or alcohol, iirc.

I take several other supplements intermittently including b-vitamins, l-tyrosine, Forskohlii w/artichoke extract, ALCAR, L-theanine, extra magnesium, and melatonin.

I have not been impressed with Ginko or St John's Wort which were mentioned earlier in this thread. I was a non-responder to Piracetam, and I think some supplements, such as Dopabeans, are probably dangerous.

I guess different things will work for different people. I struggle to focus in the gym, in fact I struggle to even go tot he gym if I don't take a pre-workout supplement. That isn't a good thing to admit, I know but I would rather take the pre-workout and head off to the gym, put in a solid workout, go home, eat and sleep like a baby, whereas when I don't go to the gym I stuggle to sleep and I just feel fat and slovenly.

Melatonin is a great supplement and, apart from helping with sleep, it really does turn your mood around!
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
February 9th, 2014 at 1:41:30 PM permalink

That isn't a good thing to admit, I know but I would rather take the pre-workout and head off to the gym, put in a solid workout, go home, eat and sleep like a baby, whereas when I don't go to the gym I stuggle to sleep and I just feel fat and slovenly.

Melatonin is a great supplement and, apart from helping with sleep, it really does turn your mood around!

If you don't admit it, others can't benefit from your experience.
  • Jump to: