7 votes (19.44%)
15 votes (41.66%)

36 members have voted

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 4th, 2014 at 8:19:17 AM permalink
Quote: reno

This article about our collective disdain for Facebook is worth reading in its entirety, but here's a good excerpt:

Facebook is the most overrated of all the top websites. I've never used it and never will. Can't stand that Zuckerberg guy either.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 4th, 2014 at 8:21:58 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

This article about our collective disdain for Facebook is worth reading in its entirety, but here's a good excerpt:

Facebook is the most overrated of all the top websites. I've never used it and never will. Can't stand that Zuckerberg guy either.

I suspect he doesn't care too much... being a billionaire from it all probably means he doesn't worry about the thoughts of B9 ;)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 8:27:47 AM permalink
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That will make it all the more enjoyable when he stumbles. lol
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
February 4th, 2014 at 8:43:47 AM permalink

I hate Zukerberg as well. Everyone hates him. I'd like to see him guest on "Shark Tank" and see Mark Cuban smack him.

But I have to go along with EB on the utility of the site. It is great for if I need to get in touch of someone who is more of a casual friend of a friend for something, or just ask people I know if they know a good tradesman, etc.

I don't see it following myspace to the grave, but I do see the kids finding other things to use.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 4th, 2014 at 8:49:40 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Although younger people are leaving Facebook, far more older people are joining it, planning reunions with it, sharing recipes and photos (and glurge, of course).

Older people have more money to spend, too.

After figuring it out, no small feat, I've settled down to a few feeds I enjoy and two games now and then (and Candy Crush, which is not quite a game <w>)

I still own a film camera, BTW. I haven't used it in almost 10 years. I don't expect to ever use it again.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
reno
reno
  • Threads: 123
February 4th, 2014 at 9:16:59 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I hate Zukerberg as well. Everyone hates him.

I'm willing to separate the man from the invention. After all, Steve Jobs was apparently a jerk to the people around him, but his inventions were fantastic. Conversely, Bill Gates is doing important philanthropy, but his invention was notorious for crashing. Thomas Edison was an unapologetic anti-Semite, but his inventions changed civilization. (Ditto for Henry Ford.)

As for Zuckerberg, I'm not a fan. But I have a lot more disdain for his awful invention than I do for the man himself.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 4th, 2014 at 9:18:05 AM permalink

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That will make it all the more enjoyable when he stumbles. lol

Caught Bob's Schadenfraude?

No point hating on Zuckerberg. He's done the American dream, eh? He's worked, he's made money, found a niche, surely the Conservatives should use him as a poster boy!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
February 4th, 2014 at 10:00:21 AM permalink

I'm willing to separate the man from the invention. After all, Steve Jobs was apparently a jerk to the people around him, but his inventions were fantastic. Conversely, Bill Gates is doing important philanthropy, but his invention was notorious for crashing. Thomas Edison was an unapologetic anti-Semite, but his inventions changed civilization. (Ditto for Henry Ford.)

As for Zuckerberg, I'm not a fan. But I have a lot more disdain for his awful invention than I do for the man himself.

I think most inventors are jerks to people because it seems the creative gene and the social gene are mutually in opposition to each other. If inventors had better social skills they would not be in the basement inventing all day and night. Gates didn't really "invent" MS-DOS, he bought and modified it. Gates was never really creative, he was a businessman and a good one.

I use Facebook for several things, but Zuke is not the first person I care to have dinner with.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 1:42:12 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

...but I do see the kids finding other things to use.

That's Facebook's biggest long-term problem. Google is like the Beatles, but FB is more like Bieber. Once kids no longer find it "cool", then that's an entire generation that will go elsewhere. It won't happen in 1-3 years though. More like 7-9 years, unless they come up with something new to keep people interested.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 1:44:03 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Conservatives should use him as a poster boy!

He probably would be if he kept his trap shut about politics.

• Jump to: