1 vote (8.33%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (8.33%)

12 members have voted

treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
January 11th, 2014 at 3:34:29 PM permalink
Sadly I care more about the animal than the human.....
Each day is better than the next
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 11th, 2014 at 3:51:53 PM permalink
What went wrong. They are supposed to know what they are doing. Horses tend to know how to run, its usually jockeys who did something wrong.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 11th, 2014 at 3:52:38 PM permalink
I voted jockey. I was at Centennial when horse and jockey went down on stretch turn near the playground. I jumped fence and got to jockey and horse same time. Turned around and saw the jockey's wife running also with a look of terror on her face. After thought I always thought of the jockey first.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 11th, 2014 at 4:01:51 PM permalink
I hate to see a spill. I'm equally concerned for the Jock and horse.

The worst spill I ever saw was when Go For Wand went down in an epic stretch dual with Bayakoa. I wish I could erase that from memory.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
January 11th, 2014 at 4:14:28 PM permalink
Does anyone have a good link to the one yesterday. I couldn't get the ones I found to work.

Edit: Got it. Thanks, coilman.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
January 11th, 2014 at 4:18:31 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

I hate to see a spill. I'm equally concerned for the Jock and horse.

The worst spill I ever saw was when Go For Wand went down in an epic stretch dual with Bayakoa. I wish I could erase that from memory.

Yes, I'm haunted by that race. They were basically running for all the marbles. Winner would be Champion female horse of the year. They were throwing it down. You could hear the screams from the female trainer as Go for Wand was struggling under the rail trying to get to her feet. It was horrific. The jock Randy Romero broke his back along with other injuries and was walking around in a daze worried about the Champion.

The Ruffian breakdown in the Battle of the Sexes was seen by 20 million people on Wide World of Sports.....that race also haunts me ...Jesus
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
January 11th, 2014 at 4:52:00 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Are you talking about the harness racing accident yesterday where the gate vehicle slid back down into the horses. Only the leader escaped all the rest of the horses were taken out by the gate/vehicle. Remarkably the horses were all fine and only one driver was hurt.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
January 11th, 2014 at 5:00:46 PM permalink
I was at the rail in the freezing rain when Go For Wand's ankle came apart in the Breeder's Cup...it was disheartening and sad...seeing that up close was not for the weary
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 11th, 2014 at 5:07:02 PM permalink

well that's just wrong
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
January 11th, 2014 at 5:56:27 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

I was at the rail in the freezing rain when Go For Wand's ankle came apart in the Breeder's Cup...it was disheartening and sad...seeing that up close was not for the weary

That's some heavy stuff.....probably ruined your day.
Transcend
Transcend
  • Threads: 17
January 11th, 2014 at 6:08:34 PM permalink
I was at Arlington park in 09 when Rene Douglas took a horrific spill and I believe is now handicapped because of that incident. The horse landed on top of him and he was pinned under the horse. A lot of jockeys come to where I work and knowing the average size of them vs the average size of the horses they are riding....I am surprised he survived to be quite honest.
Part of it went on gambling, and part of it went on women. The rest I spent foolishly. -George Raft
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 11th, 2014 at 6:23:51 PM permalink
We're all talking about this right?

Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
January 11th, 2014 at 6:42:40 PM permalink
The pace car loses control. That has to be a first. They have been known to stall but lose control. WTF. Have to admit I was watching the horses hoping they steered clear of the trouble. Never thought about the drivers. Is that wrong?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 11th, 2014 at 6:50:44 PM permalink

The pace car loses control. That has to be a first. They have been known to stall but lose control. WTF. Have to admit I was watching the horses hoping they steered clear of the trouble. Never thought about the drivers. Is that wrong?

Jockeys know what they're in for. Horses do not. It's natural to feel for the "innocent victim".
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
January 11th, 2014 at 6:59:15 PM permalink
Sloppy track, maybe some ice under that top layer.... and rear wheel drive car where the guy facing towards horses is running the gas pedal and the starting gate.... like to know how old the starters are? Did the guy steering the car lock up the brakes when he felt the rear end going out? 4 wheel drive truck with the gate mounted on it is much safer

First horse into the gate driven by CAT MANZI who is one of the top drivers in wins ever ... he needs to think real hard about any thoughts of coming back ...this is one of many bad accidents he has been in the past decade. 63 year olds dont heal as fast as they once did

Not the first time this has happened but its very rare..... guys talking about two other times that it has happened
  • Jump to: