avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
January 14th, 2024 at 2:02:28 PM permalink
7 degrees fahrenheit wind chill minus 3. Low of 1 tonight. Colts country
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
January 14th, 2024 at 2:14:37 PM permalink
People in Alberta, Canada got an alert on their phones to limit their power usage or there would be rotating blackouts. People did as they were told and the rotating blackout threat went away.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 14th, 2024 at 4:33:11 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

You figured out a way to not cohabitate with your wife.
So did I. (shrug)

I have no intention of getting divorced again. It was unpleasant enough the first time around.
They don't like my taste in music, movies, or television - they seem to enjoy entertainments for the least common denominator, and I prefer more abstract cerebral expressions of creativity.
Anything they cook seems to be too salty or too greasy for me to eat.

Back on topic, it's been quite strong wind gusts. The temperature seems to be just below freezing, but the wind keeps trying to yank doors out of my hand whenever I try to go outside.
link to original post

My wife and I have never gotten along so well as when we don't live together. We don't eat the same food, we don't watch the same TV shows, we don't read the same books, all she listens to is Christian music which I can't stand. All we have in common is that we're married. We grew apart, which is very common. Most of the time when I tell this to men they ask me where can they get that deal, of living apart from your wife and still being married.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 14th, 2024 at 4:34:43 PM permalink
It's zero outside right now and it's only 7:30.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 14th, 2024 at 4:56:02 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

So did I. (shrug)

I have no intention of getting divorced again. It was unpleasant enough the first time around.
They don't like my taste in music, movies, or television - they seem to enjoy entertainments for the least common denominator, and I prefer more abstract cerebral expressions of creativity.

Back on topic, it's been quite strong wind gusts. The temperature seems to be just below freezing, but the wind keeps trying to yank doors out of my hand whenever I try to go outside.
link to original post

My wife and I have never gotten along so well as when we don't live together. We don't eat the same food, we don't watch the same TV shows, we don't read the same books, all she listens to is Christian music which I can't stand. All we have in common is that we're married. We grew apart, which is very common. Most of the time when I tell this to men they ask me where can they get that deal, of living apart from your wife and still being married.
link to original post

At first blush, it certainly sounds like a sweet arrangement. I think everyone who has been so arranged will say that it makes marginal improvements on a lousy situation.
She gets to do her thing, I get to do my thing, our paths can intersect for those occasions we desire, and we don't have to argue about division of assets.
I think the dealbreaker for a lot of guys intrigued by this system will be that neither of us want to date other people. Either of us stepping out for a bit of strange would quickly lead to lawyers and the court system.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 14th, 2024 at 5:00:20 PM permalink
72 this morning and a daytime high of 93 in my winter home in Cambodia
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 14th, 2024 at 10:02:00 PM permalink

At first blush, it certainly sounds like a sweet arrangement. I think everyone who has been so arranged will say that it makes marginal improvements on a lousy situation.
She gets to do her thing, I get to do my thing, our paths can intersect for those occasions we desire, and we don't have to argue about division of assets.
I think the dealbreaker for a lot of guys intrigued by this system will be that neither of us want to date other people. Either of us stepping out for a bit of strange would quickly lead to lawyers and the court system.
link to original post

For me the improvements are certainly far more than marginal. It got rid of everything I didn't like and left in the things I did like. It goes without saying that you can't see other people, my wife would murder me and then divorce me in that order. It would never even occur to me to do that, I'm married. People confuse marriage and living together like they're one and the same thing. They are not. Marriage is whatever you want to be, not what society thinks it should be. Marriage is not one size fits all, that's ridiculous. As the divorce rate shows us.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
January 15th, 2024 at 6:56:42 AM permalink

Marriage is whatever you want to be, not what society thinks it should be.

This! There is no way EB’s situation would fit me. Who cares? If it fits EB and his wife, that’s all that matters!

I love waking up every morning next to my wife…. for a variety of reasons!
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 15th, 2024 at 8:09:43 AM permalink
I remember in the early 1960s standing at the bus stop for school when it was literally 10 below zero and God knows what the wind chill was because they didn't calculate it then. We froze our little butts off but we did it without even thinking about it. It's zero outside right now at 11:00 a.m. and all the schools in my area are closed. Poor little fat babies can't put their fat little butts outside in the cold cold air. What a pitiful time we live in.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 15th, 2024 at 8:16:32 AM permalink
Are the schools closed for a holiday observance, or for weather?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 15th, 2024 at 8:34:19 AM permalink
The Rochester City School District (NY) posted on their website they consider closing if; the wind chill is -20 or colder, the temperature is below 0 for an extended time or, if there is blowing snow due to winds over 20 miles per hour. This is only a guide for them to use and is not an absolute for them or for us. When persistent wind chills are -25 degrees or below, Monroe County school superintendents will usually, but not always, close schools. This means many districts won’t have drivers working to transport our students. - from a school that relies on school busses

It might be -10 to 0 degrees in the area on Wednesday morning. But it could warm up quickly at sunrise, so it'd probably be a 2 hour delay.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Jan 15, 2024
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 15th, 2024 at 1:45:02 PM permalink
It is not cold here but we are currently getting seven inches of rain per hour. My patio is flooded and it is coming into the house where the sliding doors are.

When I lived in Vegas we got 3.5 inches per year and now I am getting 7 inches an hour.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 15th, 2024 at 1:59:45 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

It is not cold here but we are currently getting seven inches of rain per hour. My patio is flooded and it is coming into the house where the sliding doors are.

When I lived in Vegas we got 3.5 inches per year and now I am getting 7 inches an hour.
link to original post

. 7 inches an hour but not every hour?

Seriously though….. for how long has it been raining at that rate? I didn’t even think it rained that much during a bad hurricane?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 15th, 2024 at 2:33:25 PM permalink

link to original post

I love how you exaggerate, like when you claim you can eat 10 lb of tater tots in one sitting. It's not raining 7in an hour, it's probably raining 2in an hour and even that would be a huge amount.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2024 at 3:37:16 PM permalink

link to original post

I love how you exaggerate, like when you claim you can eat 10 lb of tater tots in one sitting. It's not raining 7in an hour, it's probably raining 2in an hour and even that would be a huge amount.
link to original post

I did not personally measure it but that is what they said on the local news. It is down to a normal shower now. We had about 3 hours of torrential rain. There is about a 50 foot wide river where the street used to be in front of the house. Just by looking at the mailbox I would guess that is about 18 inches of standing water.

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 15th, 2024 at 4:17:38 PM permalink
I mentioned to someone that we have 7 inches of snow on the ground right now; my wife immediately spoke up and said that it is really only 5 inches.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2024 at 4:30:33 PM permalink

I would not be sad at all if that car floated away.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
January 15th, 2024 at 4:30:40 PM permalink

So did I. (shrug)

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I don't see why people don't apply their preferred variations across all their relationships, not just married ones. Someone may find traditional roles adequate, but I doubt there are few who wouldn't change something about it even if they do.. Personally, I believe there probably has to be merit in something that lasts and is repeated through generations. (beside public pressure to conform) But people aren't identical clones. (as far as I know. Clones speak up!)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2024 at 4:34:30 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't see why people don't apply their preferred variations across all their relationships, not just married ones. Someone may find traditional roles adequate, but I doubt there are few who wouldn't change something about it even if they do.. Personally, I believe there probably has to be merit in something that lasts and is repeated through generations. (beside public pressure to conform) But people aren't identical clones. (as far as I know. Clones speak up!)
link to original post

People used to laugh at me for having two wives (not legally). To each their own.
Last edited by: DRich on Jan 15, 2024
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2024 at 5:23:08 PM permalink
The river in front of the house is down about 8 inches so far. Only about 40 feet wide right now.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
Thanked by
Hunterhill
January 15th, 2024 at 10:32:50 PM permalink
'Dead robots': Chicago's extreme cold knocks out Tesla cars
Tesla charging stations frozen out in sub-zero weather.
EV car graveyard at the charging station. Cars will have to be sent to the service center or towed home for indoor charging.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 16th, 2024 at 8:40:53 PM permalink
We had a total of 10 inches of snow and the temp is projected to go down to 0 degrees early tomorrow morning (just before sunrise.)

So, in my area, there may possibly be a minor spike in children being born nine months from now.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
January 17th, 2024 at 1:56:22 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

'Dead robots': Chicago's extreme cold knocks out Tesla cars
link to original post

Battery temperature affects charging speed. They have to be warmed up before charging.

'Done when it’s quite cold or hot outside, preconditioning heats or cools the battery to a more moderate temperature that allows it to charge and deliver electricity more quickly. It can also help to extend the battery’s life.'

They also drain faster in the cold.

'On average, the range of electric vehicles dropped to around 70% in freezing conditions, according to a Recurrent analysis of 18 popular EV models.'
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 17th, 2024 at 8:36:28 AM permalink
Around 4°F here.
I'm hearing reports of freezing water pipes.
It may be worthwhile to let a few faucets drip. (Some municipalities recommend this.)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 17th, 2024 at 8:41:52 AM permalink
88 here by the pool in Jaco. 16 at home. I get home tomorrow night…..
DRich
DRich
January 17th, 2024 at 8:50:12 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

82 degrees in my office but only 61 outside. Brrrr
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 17th, 2024 at 10:38:34 AM permalink
This constant cold in the single digits and below zero at night is it like battling a storm that doesn't end. Every day it's something else. Went down to my basement for the first time in 4 days and it's 38° down there. Too much air coming around the outside door so I taped it all around. The furnace is in the basement of course but there's no vents down there because nobody ever uses the basement in the winter. Just going outside to sweep the new snow off the deck is a major issue because there's a constant 15 mile an hour wind and 5 minutes out there makes you feel like you've been out there an hour. Part of it is my age, this wouldn't have even bothered me 30 years ago. I remember a story about Groucho Marx and Charlie Chaplin sitting on a park bench in Central Park in their 80s all bundled up in the winter time. They said nothing to each other the whole time except when they were leaving Charlie Chaplin said to Groucho Marx, keep warm. I totally understand that now.
rxwine
rxwine
January 17th, 2024 at 11:10:32 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

You should probably buy an ice axe before you get home.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 17th, 2024 at 11:23:28 AM permalink
Running this car down to 2% charge and getting only 159 miles instead of 284 miles in -3 degree weather. Charges fast if you tell it 25 minutes in advance to precondition the battery for charging. Expect a 50% range cut and keep yourself warm in the car.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 17th, 2024 at 11:41:43 AM permalink
If only there was a place one could live that didn't experience winter weather. A place where shoveling snow is a distant memory and seniors can walk without fear of snapping their hips.
Stay safe and warm.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
January 17th, 2024 at 12:45:19 PM permalink

Running this car down to 2% charge and getting only 159 miles instead of 284 miles in -3 degree weather. Charges fast if you tell it 25 minutes in advance to precondition the battery for charging. Expect a 50% range cut and keep yourself warm in the car.

link to original post

Perhaps with a thicker than usual insulated car cover, you could keep the car warm with the battery contributing warmed air from the heating system, which would flow upward in the car cover and not actually use that much electricity.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 17th, 2024 at 12:52:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If only there was a place one could live that didn't experience winter weather. A place where shoveling snow is a distant memory and seniors can walk without fear of snapping their hips.
Stay safe and warm.
link to original post

I lived in one of those places, Southern California, for 7 years and it sucked just as bad in the winter as it did in Michigan but for different reasons. First of all the sun goes down extremely early on the West Coast because it's on the beginning of a time zone. And you get climatized so that when it's 55° out you have to wear a jacket. And in the winter it rains a lot. So yeah for a couple months we get snow and cold in Michigan but the weather the rest of the year is so spectacular most of the time who cares about the inconvenience.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 17th, 2024 at 12:57:57 PM permalink
Pretty sure the windchill at highway speeds is near -40 degrees. A lot of people don't have garages to store their car overnight or charge their car overnight. So driving for 25 minutes before you get to the charger and spending 30-50 minutes charging may be an obstacle for people used to taking a 5 minute trip to the gas station and filling up in 5 minutes. Not to mention robbers and carjackers are appearing everywhere nowadays.
rxwine
rxwine
January 17th, 2024 at 1:18:49 PM permalink

Stay safe and warm.
link to original post

Although I didn’t do it, I thought the ideal situation when I lived in Vegas was to have a place in Vegas and a place on Mt. Charleston instead of having a summer and winter home hours away from each other. Of course, anywhere you have mountains and valleys this might be possible. Natural climate control.

I think the temp difference is approx 15 degrees?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 17th, 2024 at 1:28:58 PM permalink

Pretty sure the windchill at highway speeds is near -40 degrees. A lot of people don't have garages to store their car overnight or charge their car overnight. So driving for 25 minutes before you get to the charger and spending 30-50 minutes charging may be an obstacle for people used to taking a 5 minute trip to the gas station and filling up in 5 minutes. Not to mention robbers and carjackers are appearing everywhere nowadays.
link to original post

There are videos from all over where the Tesla charging stations have all died, they all froze. People stuck there with dead batteries and no way to charge them.
rxwine
rxwine
January 21st, 2024 at 5:03:19 AM permalink
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2024 at 8:21:32 AM permalink

Stay safe and warm.
link to original post

Although I didn’t do it, I thought the ideal situation when I lived in Vegas was to have a place in Vegas and a place on Mt. Charleston instead of having a summer and winter home hours away from each other. Of course, anywhere you have mountains and valleys this might be possible. Natural climate control.

I think the temp difference is approx 15 degrees?
link to original post

We have Mt. Lemmon outside of Tucson. It's a bit closer than Charleston is to Vegas and is a lifesaver during the summer. My current plans are to winter in Tucson and spend most of the summer in the White Mountains, where it rarely cracks 80 in July and August.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 21st, 2024 at 8:56:47 AM permalink

link to original post

Any help with what we're looking at, other than "something cold"?
rxwine
rxwine
January 21st, 2024 at 9:06:25 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Eh, no toilet paper where you live?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 21st, 2024 at 9:31:13 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I don't think that's the usual manner of hemorrhoid cryotherapy.

edit: I also carry my roll paper with me, rather than leaving it in the outhouse... "because reasons".
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 21st, 2024 at 10:40:09 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

So you take your dumps in the backyard? Why don't you build a little shack around the toilet paper and call it an outhouse. My grandparents moved off the farm in West Virginia to Delaware in 1945 and the first thing they did was dig an outhouse out by the barn. The two old men in the house, one born in 1870 and the other born in 1886 had never used indoor plumbing in their lives and they couldn't do it unless they were in the outhouse. My grandma being a woman took to indoor plumbing immediately but the old men into their 80s and 90s used nothing but that outdoor bathroom. It was the smell of it that triggered their need to go. It was built into their subconscious. When we visited there it was a great place to smoke cigarettes, LOL.
rxwine
rxwine
January 21st, 2024 at 11:00:54 AM permalink
It must be some kind of hell using an outhouse in sub-zero temperatures. Probably what really killed the early pioneers. They just sanitized it up, and said it was the natives.

I do remember cold toilet seats somewhere in my past camping memories.
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2024 at 11:19:52 AM permalink
I don't think those pioneers ate excessively so they didn't spend as much time excreting as modern folks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 21st, 2024 at 12:03:36 PM permalink

It must be some kind of hell using an outhouse in sub-zero temperatures. Probably what really killed the early pioneers. They just sanitized it up, and said it was the natives.

link to original post

At night they mostly used chamber pots that they would empty the next day. Most normal people didn't have to take giant dumps in the middle of the night they save those for the outhouse.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 21st, 2024 at 12:56:49 PM permalink

link to original post

Actually using the outhouse is no big deal.
The hike out there and back is what weeds out the dillettantes.

I'm sure the purists who insist on shoveling make disparaging comments about my wimpy approach.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 21st, 2024 at 2:08:45 PM permalink

link to original post

I did some high-altitude mountaineering when I was a young man. Many experiences at taking a dump in near-zero or sub-zero temps. One experience on Cotopaxi (Ecuador) in which a climber on the rope above us had to go, and I watched as frozen turds literally came bouncing down the frozen snow slope towards me.
  • Jump to: