rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 31st, 2012 at 4:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

It's not like it took great courage or anything for that decision to be made. It didn't show the fortitude of his leadership capabilities. Imagine an ordinary thing, that any ordinary person would do. Now you see someone do it, do you run over and slap them on the back and congratulate them? Perhaps you do. I, and many others, don't.

So taking credit for "killing America's greatest enemy" feels a little weak in the "accomplishments" category.

It surely did take courage. The mission was a covert raid in a "friendly" country. If we'd failed or accidentally killed civilians, the backlash would have been substantial. That's why Biden and Clinton and Gates were against green-lighting the mission. Obama proceeded anyway, and the mission was a big success.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 31st, 2012 at 4:27:54 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Bush had seven years.

But it doesn't matter - how long do you think he could have hidden in Abbotabad? They let him go until a politically convenient moment. The Republicans needed him alive to get people defense-minded, and the Democrats were better off with him dead, 15 months before the election being the perfect time to set up a troop withdrawal. Why? Because of the grand conspiracy: there is no conspiracy, except the conspiracy to hide that fact. The terrorists acted independently, and Bush didn't want a war with Saudi Arabia, so he found a scapegoat who in a happy coincidence had been rumored a month earlier to be plotting an attack on air travel. He denied it for a while, but his convictions are mostly for show, so they bought him off for the better part of ten years, then disposed of him when he was no longer convenient to keep alive.

Now I know why that bearded guy at the Maryland State Fair 2 years ago looked so familiar. Damn, I could have used that reward money.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 31st, 2012 at 4:35:10 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Bush had seven years.

8 years. He was on the most wanted list before 9/11/01. Imagine if we'd got him in that first year...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 31st, 2012 at 4:54:27 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

8 years. He was on the most wanted list before 9/11/01. Imagine if we'd got him in that first year...

"Usama Bin Laden is wanted in connection with the August 7, 1998, bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. These attacks killed over 200 people. In addition, Bin Laden is a suspect in other terrorist attacks throughout the world."

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden

If President Obama is so darned good, why did it take him a couple of years to decide to take out Bin Laden since we already knew where he was hiding? I mean c'mon, was it politics? Let him hide for a couple of years then get a big push just before the election.

Oh, wait...he was also a dangerous character back when Clinton was President--wasn't there some issue of him having the chance to take him out long before 9/11? Imagine if we had got him before Bush was elected. Wait...could it be that Clinton conspired to allow him to attack during a Republican presidency and that he would have taken him out before leaving office had the Supreme Court allowed Gore to win?

I think all the conspiracy theories are just silly. We took him out when we found him and were able to execute the operation. Any President would have been an idiot not to take the shot. Biden's advice is meaningless and there will always be those who oppose any position the President takes. He gets the big bucks for making the actual decision based on what information he has at the time.

Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush...if you say it along with me long enough, we'll all continue to blame Bush for everything bad that ever happened to the country. It works. Obama is responsible for only the good things; Bush the bad.

Rove is evil; Emanuel is just a genius.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 31st, 2012 at 5:04:48 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

"Usama Bin Laden is wanted in connection with the August 7, 1998, bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. These attacks killed over 200 people. In addition, Bin Laden is a suspect in other terrorist attacks throughout the world."

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden

If President Obama is so darned good, why did it take him a couple of years to decide to take out Bin Laden since we already knew where he was hiding? I mean c'mon, was it politics? Let him hide for a couple of years then get a big push just before the election.

Oh, wait...he was also a dangerous character back when Clinton was President--wasn't there some issue of him having the chance to take him out long before 9/11? Imagine if we had got him before Bush was elected. Wait...could it be that Clinton conspired to allow him to attack during a Republican presidency and that he would have taken him out before leaving office had the Supreme Court allowed Gore to win?

I think all the conspiracy theories are just silly. We took him out when we found him and were able to execute the operation. Any President would have been an idiot not to take the shot. Biden's advice is meaningless and there will always be those who oppose any position the President takes. He gets the big bucks for making the actual decision based on what information he has at the time.

Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush...if you say it along with me long enough, we'll all continue to blame Bush for everything bad that ever happened to the country. It works. Obama is responsible for only the good things; Bush the bad.

Rove is evil; Emanuel is just a genius an asshat.

FTFY:-)

Clinton tried to get OBL and failed - narrowly missed him in '98, IIRC.

I'm not sure what election was right after May of 2011, but I'm thinking October of 2010 would have been a better time if election influencing was a goal.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 31st, 2012 at 5:06:18 PM permalink

Rove is evil; Emanuel is just a genius.

Weren't people doing that about Nixon for years? Everything was Nixon's fault...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 31st, 2012 at 6:52:29 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I'm not sure what election was right after May of 2011, but I'm thinking October of 2010 would have been a better time if election influencing was a goal.

It is my conspiracy theory, so I'll make it up as I go...

He was smart enough (the President IS smarter than all of us put together!!) to know that he needed it for his campaign slogan...General Motors is alive and Bin Laden is dead...if he had kept a Democrat congress in 2010, he couldn't blame the Republicans for the inability to compromise....

of course, conveniently forgetting his promise not to "spike the football"...he meant to not spike it once; but to spike it time and again as part of his campaign.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 31st, 2012 at 6:56:34 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Weren't people doing that about Nixon for years? Everything was Nixon's fault...

I don't remember that. Nixon got us out of Viet
Nam, thats why he was re-elected. Watergate
was his legacy, not screwing anything up.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 31st, 2012 at 7:09:40 PM permalink

of course, conveniently forgetting his promise not to "spike the football"...he meant to not spike it once; but to spike it time and again as part of his campaign.

I like it!! So, as I'm formulating my own presidential campaign, what you're saying is that spiking the ball on every down and praying for the other team to commit a penalty is a bad plan?
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2012 at 12:21:03 PM permalink
The storm was a week ago. 1.5 mil still have
no power. 40,000 are homeless and have no
place to stay. FEMA is a bigger joke than in
Katrina.

Where is Obama on this today? He's avoiding
questions. Where's his obese buddy who was
slobbering all over him last week. Its all turned
on them. People are still seeing 2 mile gas lines
and citizens screaming at Bloomberg and theres
another noreaster for Wednesday..

Obama went from hero to chump real fast. How's
it feel to be in Geo Bush's shoes, buddy?
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 5th, 2012 at 12:54:26 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The storm was a week ago. 1.5 mil still have
no power. 40,000 are homeless and have no
place to stay. FEMA is a bigger joke than in
Katrina.

Where is Obama on this today? He's avoiding
questions. Where's his obese buddy who was
slobbering all over him last week. Its all turned
on them. People are still seeing 2 mile gas lines
and citizens screaming at Bloomberg and theres
another noreaster for Wednesday..

Obama went from hero to chump real fast. How's
it feel to be in Geo Bush's shoes, buddy?

It took two weeks to restore power in parts of Texas after Ike. That's the power companies' job. Either the government is supposed to get out of businesses' way and let them do their job, or do the job for them. First you picked the former, and now you're picking the latter. No wonder you love Romney so much.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 5th, 2012 at 12:57:10 PM permalink
EvenBob " Where's his obese buddy who was
slobbering all over him last week. "

Hey if Mitt blows it, you are talking about the Republican candidate in 2016 !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 5th, 2012 at 12:57:49 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Hey if Mitt blows it, you are talking about the Republican candidate in 2016 ! Unless it's Newt. LOL

Buzzard
Buzzard
November 5th, 2012 at 12:57:55 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Hey if Mitt blows it, you are talking about the Republican candidate in 2016 ! Unless it's Newt. LOL

EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2012 at 1:03:20 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

It took two weeks to restore power in parts of Texas after Ike. That's the power companies' job.

Obviously. But the people involved, who are
cold and hungry and dirty from lack of a
shower for a week, who are sitting in the dark
and flushing their toilets with creek water in
buckets, always look for somebody to blame.

And that somebody are the politicians who
swept in and said everything would be fine,
then disappeared, never to be seen again.
Like Obama.
  • Jump to: