vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
October 30th, 2012 at 5:25:16 PM permalink
for a little over 4 billion...3 new Star Wars movies coming out starting in 2015....for Star Wars fans like myself this is AWESOME!!!!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 30th, 2012 at 5:48:29 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

for a little over 4 billion...3 new Star Wars movies coming out starting in 2015....for Star Wars fans like myself this is AWESOME!!!!

Unless they're doing "Heir to the Empire," "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command," I can't say I'm interested...

Call it let-down or disappointment. I was excited about the rpequels, and see what happened. The first was ok, but rather bland and confusing. The next two... better not to say anything about them, especially the last. Oh, I'll just say this:

There are two Jedi left, Obi Wan and Yoda. There is ONE real enemy, Palpatine. Anakin is harmless. He has no plan, means, desire or even interest in taking over the Republic. Palpatine does. Anakin can be dealt with alter, fi need be. But instead of blindsiding Palpatine, they split up for plot device reasons. And then it realy gets dumb....
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 30th, 2012 at 5:48:47 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

Awesome, or horrible. Discuss.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
October 30th, 2012 at 6:21:27 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

If I have the opportunity to go to opening night in a wookie costume...how can it not be AWESOME? LOL
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 30th, 2012 at 6:52:25 PM permalink

Awesome for kids. But for adults the last three were horrible. But actually, I trust that Disney has the ability to produce two lines of movies that will appeal to both kids and adults.

Some of the original Star Wars fans are due for retirement.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 30th, 2012 at 7:18:39 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Awesome for kids. But for adults the last three were horrible.

They were garbage. The last one I saw had some
tall cartoon doglike creature with floppy ears, and
Liam Neison was standing in front of a blue screen
pretending to talk to the cartoon. It was obvious
thats what he was doing. I turned the channel and
saw about as much of all 3 movies. Just terrible.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
October 31st, 2012 at 8:57:59 AM permalink
I am in favor as Lucas is only 'special consultant' or whatever they are calling it. And I'm a Disney shareholder :)
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
October 31st, 2012 at 7:24:01 PM permalink
Lucas was offered stock/options in Disney... he still gets at least a shareholder's say. I think $4B is a bargain.

What I need to know is "What about ILM (Industrial Light & Magic)"?, which I believe Lucas still owns/controls.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
October 31st, 2012 at 10:54:36 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Lucas was offered stock/options in Disney... he still gets at least a shareholder's say. I think $4B is a bargain.

What I need to know is "What about ILM (Industrial Light & Magic)"?, which I believe Lucas still owns/controls.

ILM, Skywalker Sound and the lot went with Lucasfilm to Disney (sauce).

THX, on the other hand, was spun off from Lucasfilm years ago, in 2001 actually if I'm reading Wikipedia correctly. Wow, never would have guessed it was that long ago.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
October 31st, 2012 at 11:09:08 PM permalink
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more replies. My first thought is that there was a raging discussion over at DT, but all I see is this somewhat related post (to which I have contributed a bit, based on its actual content).

I guess there aren't a lot of Star Wars nerds here :).

I will sum up my thoughts with some (edited) words from a different (non-public) board.

Quote: not me

My biggest fear will be that they shit all over the EU. That will happen, there is no way now that I think about it that the next three movies will be based on The Thrawn Trilogy. This makes me a sad panda since that is some of the best Star Wars material that exists.

Yep, this is going to happen. As per this, it will be new material. The only question now is whether they will make any attempt to integrate into the existing cannon by telling a different story that still fits in, or if they will just shit all over everything (kinda like what they did with the prequels, except even worse since there was very little cannon material from that era).

I know this is serious nerd rage and most of you probably think I'm being silly. But I mean Lucasfilm has a guy who's fucking FULL TIME JOB is maintaining continuity in the Star Wars universe. Throughout all the books, TV shows (Clone Wars), comics, card/role-playing games, etc., they've made a really good effort and keeping one set of "facts." It just pisses me off that they're probably going to fuck it all up.

All that being said, a part of me is excited. I think there's about a 5% chance that Dinsey pulls this off really well. If that happens it will be awesome.
slyther
slyther
November 1st, 2012 at 10:15:22 AM permalink
I am not familiar with any 'extended universe' etc, so for me the movies and Cone Wars animated series are my cannon. Thus if they make changes I wouldn't notice. That and the fact that my kid refused to do "Jedi Training Academy" at Disneyland after he got picked probably gets me kicked out of the fanboy club.
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2012 at 10:22:16 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

I am not familiar with any 'extended universe' etc, so for me the movies and Cone Wars animated series are my cannon.

Cone Wars? Was that the one with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin? ;)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 1st, 2012 at 11:55:20 AM permalink

All that being said, a part of me is excited. I think there's about a 5% chance that Dinsey pulls this off really well. If that happens it will be awesome.

If you look at Disney's track record, it's a pretty good one at making family-orientated movies. Films Mum and Dad can watch with the kids, and no-one is too bored or annoyed.

Lucas is a hack and if Disney can keep him away from the fine detail work, it'll be all the better for it.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 1st, 2012 at 12:16:55 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Lucas is a hack and if Disney can keep him away from the fine detail work, it'll be all the better for it.

It'll keep the actors from having to state "I'm not saying this..." like Ford and Neeson both reportedly did.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2012 at 12:29:04 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

It'll keep the actors from having to state "I'm not saying this..." like Ford and Neeson both reportedly did.

Alec Guiness allegedly also had some thigns to say about things he wouldn't say on screen :)
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
November 1st, 2012 at 3:45:24 PM permalink
On the other hand, Disney ravages History to make their own version of it.

Come to the Dark Side Mickey... we have Planet-Killers, Siths, and bionics... HA ha ha.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
November 1st, 2012 at 4:13:45 PM permalink
I don't know if it's canonized, but the stuff following Episode 6 is depressing. I think adding onto it would take away from the original saga significantly.

I'm a Star Trek guy though, Star Wars is good but it's just a drama in space.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
slyther
slyther
November 8th, 2012 at 9:07:37 AM permalink
And now we know (based on last night's South park season finale) that Eric Cartman stole ballots from the swing states to negotiate for himself the role of Luke Skywalker's son in Episode 7. That explains everything :)
  • Jump to: