Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
June 20th, 2019 at 7:19:35 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Planes? I recall a 727(?) that was descending VFR when he spotted a Cessna 182 Skyhawk and went into a climbing turn passing the now-diving Skyhawk close enough to count rivets. Obviously I survived it and went on to become a crisis actor in the great diabetes fake news scam.

When I was a student pilot I was doing my first flight into a big airport. I radio the tower and tell them I am a student and would like to land. The controller comes on and says be on the lookout for American xxx Heavy in front of me. He said just follow that DC-10 to runway 25 Left, then with a dramatic pause, "But, not too close". Duh, that DC-10 would have sent my Cessna 150 spinning out of control.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 18
June 20th, 2019 at 8:23:20 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Plus those were the days when I was flying to Vegas or Tahoe about every three weeks and I'd routinely show up within thirty minutes of departure with baggage to check, no problemo.

You can still do that at smaller, regional airports. You show up an hour early at those places, and you're waiting around at the terminal for 45 minutes.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
June 20th, 2019 at 8:57:55 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

You can still do that at smaller, regional airports. You show up an hour early at those places, and you're waiting around at the terminal for 45 minutes.

When I used to travel almost every week for work, I had it down to where I could get to the airport just as they were getting ready to close the airplane door. Amazingly, I only missed one flight for being late over many years.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
June 20th, 2019 at 9:51:28 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

When I used to travel almost every week for work, I had it down to where I could get to the airport just as they were getting ready to close the airplane door. Amazingly, I only missed one flight for being late over many years.

That sounds like me (at least pre-9/11). The one flight I missed, the agent was able to get me on a direct flight on a different airline. I actually got to my destination earlier than if I had made my original flight!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
June 20th, 2019 at 9:53:20 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

A wonderful thing that is. Use one regular and you will never want to live in a hub city again.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
June 30th, 2019 at 5:03:38 PM permalink
You have to be at least 60 to
remember when nothing was
open on Sunday in the Midwest.
Maybe a gas station here and
there, that was it. Now everything
is open except banks and the PO.

Even Amazon delivers on Sunday.
They have a cool app that shows
where your package is on the
truck, and where the truck is on
the map. You can watch, stop by
stop, as it gets closer to your house.

When it gets here I feel almost
guilty because I remember when
it was against the law to be open
on Sunday is some places. We
couldn't buy liquor here on Sunday
till the 80's. In the poor neighborhoods
guys would sell liquor out of their
trunk and they always had customers.
It was a tradition and everybody
enjoyed the community feeling of
it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 30th, 2019 at 5:09:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You have to be at least 60 to
remember when nothing was
open on Sunday in the Midwest.
Maybe a gas station here and
there, that was it. Now everything
is open except banks and the PO.

I am amazed that even the State Stores (PA owner liquor stores) opened on Sunday and now even on 4th of July. I am old enough to remember when lots of places were closed Sunday, then limited hours. Now just a few places. Times have changed.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 262
June 30th, 2019 at 5:50:26 PM permalink
Pennsylvania didn't even say liquor store, it was package store.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 30th, 2019 at 6:06:18 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Pennsylvania didn't even say liquor store, it was package store.

That one is before my time. "State Store" is what they called them pre-1990s. One is clearly visible in the movie "Slap Shot." You could not browse the shelves pre-1980s, even to the 1990s in the smaller ones. You walked to the counter and ordered. I told a younger cashier about those days, she was amazed.

Today they call them "Wine and Spirits Store" but many people still say "State Store." I will give them credit in that they do train the clerks pretty well. They can usually answer questions pretty well. They will get you unusual stuff from another store free of charge, though you have to wait for it to daisy-chain across the state depending on where it starts as they courier the store-transfers from place to place. My order took a few weeks but I was in no real hurry.

Useless Trivia: Commonwealth of PA is the largest buyer of booze in the nation and I believe the planet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
June 30th, 2019 at 6:32:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Today they call them "Wine and Spirits Store" but many people still say "State Store." I will give them credit in that they do train the clerks pretty well. They can usually answer questions pretty well. They will get you unusual stuff from another store free of charge, though you have to wait for it to daisy-chain across the state depending on where it starts as they courier the store-transfers from place to place. My order took a few weeks but I was in no real hurry.

But their new credit card terminals make the most annoying sounds.

• Jump to: