mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
June 28th, 2012 at 8:01:24 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Yeah ... it was said early on, that we are not talking about splitting the jackpot. Assume that if multiple tickets win, multiple prizes of the same size are awarded.

But to your point ... There is a possibility that this theory with multiple people picking an "easy" combination has become so common, that it is actually better to pick something like 1-2-3-4-5-6, or, perhaps, the last drawing's sequence, because no other idiot will do it :)

Also, interestingly enough, I have heard in some Eastern European countries the exact opposite of this theory - most people think like mrjjj, and will not pick such an "unlikely" combination, so, by choosing it, you must be increasing your potential prize.

"most people think like mrjjj, and will not pick such an "unlikely" combination, so, by choosing it, you must be increasing your potential prize" >>> and there it is. The jab I've been waiting for in the last 8 hours, unreal. HOBBY TIME !?!?

Ken
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 28th, 2012 at 8:08:24 PM permalink

Yeah ... it was said early on, that we are not talking about splitting the jackpot. Assume that if multiple tickets win, multiple prizes of the same size are awarded.

But to your point ... There is a possibility that this theory with multiple people picking an "easy" combination has become so common, that it is actually better to pick something like 1-2-3-4-5-6, or, perhaps, the last drawing's sequence, because no other idiot will do it :)

Also, interestingly enough, I have heard in some Eastern European countries the exact opposite of this theory - most people think like mrjjj, and will not pick such an "unlikely" combination, so, by choosing it, you must be increasing your potential prize.

Which proves the point that it's about the people playing and not the numbers. If you know who you're playing against, you can use that information to maximize your theoretical return. If everyone in the game is playing numbers above 31 because they're clever, play 1-2-3-4-5-6. If nobody would dare playing last week's numbers, play those. But if everyone quick-picks, or if you're in a lottery game with only fixed prizes as opposed to shared jackpot pools, any six numbers yields the same game-theoretic return.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 28th, 2012 at 9:02:51 PM permalink
Impossible to get a real edge, but I always eliminate single digit numbers. Too many people bet kids ages or apartments numbers. I am not about to split that 627 million dollar lottery jackpot with anybody. IT WILL BE ALL MINE !!
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
June 28th, 2012 at 9:28:55 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Impossible to get a real edge, but I always eliminate single digit numbers. Too many people bet kids ages or apartments numbers. I am not about to split that 627 million dollar lottery jackpot with anybody. IT WILL BE ALL MINE !!

maybe you should consider eliminating all numbers under 31,
most people bet birthdays and anniversaries
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
June 29th, 2012 at 3:47:21 AM permalink
Is there any truth that single digits occur more often than double digits (due to the less, although miniscule weight difference of the paint/ink) longterm?
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
June 29th, 2012 at 8:13:51 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

"most people think like mrjjj, and will not pick such an "unlikely" combination, so, by choosing it, you must be increasing your potential prize" >>> and there it is. The jab I've been waiting for in the last 8 hours, unreal. HOBBY TIME !?!?

Ken

What "jab"? I am referring to this quote of yours:

Yep, myself.....I would never play repeating numbers but to each their own.

I think, that is what it means - why else would you decide not to pick certain numbers if you did not think it would hurt your chances of winning?
I have asked you repeatedly to clarify what you meant by it if not this, but you refused to explain, so I have to go by what I have.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
July 1st, 2012 at 6:18:33 AM permalink

What "jab"? I am referring to this quote of yours:

I think, that is what it means - why else would you decide not to pick certain numbers if you did not think it would hurt your chances of winning?
I have asked you repeatedly to clarify what you meant by it if not this, but you refused to explain, so I have to go by what I have.

Wrong....I have answered this AT LEAST four times, you're just fu***n with me, asking it over and over. You can PRETEND all you want that I did not answer, have a blast.

Ken
puzzlenut
puzzlenut
  • Threads: 9
September 19th, 2013 at 9:21:27 PM permalink

Afterall, (to date) no repeating set of numbers has ever hit again, much less back to back and as far as I recall reading, even come close to repeating.

Not true! Exactly the same numbers have come up twice in a row in the Bulgarian National Lottery and the North Carolina Cash 5. People tend to assume that such an event is extremely unlikely, however the probability that a particular combination will come up a second time is exactly the same as the probability that it will come up the first time. For more details see The Lottery Guy web site at

http://www.lottery-guy.com/

or buy "A Player's Guide to Lotto Strategies" available on Amazon in paperback or Kindle formats.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
September 19th, 2013 at 10:31:22 PM permalink
When I play the lottery, I play a matrix. It's not my idea, but someone else came up with it. For a pick 5+1, like megaball and powerball, you choose 16 numbers and make 15 tickets using those 16 numbers. You then need to pick a powerball or megasball number for each line. It's free to use so I'll post the link...

http://www.lottotrix.com/pick-5-lottery-system-first2.html

For a pick 6 lottery You choose 20 numbers and play 16 lines. This is the one I've had the best success with. Also free for personal use...

http://www.lottotrix.com/pick-6-lottery-systems.html

When I play I tend not to play any numbers that came in during the previous drawing. Sometimes I'll toss out 2 weeks. My reasoning is to reduce the number of numbers I have to choose from. 3 weeks might be pushing it, but reducing the number from 52 to 34 numbers, picking 20 will be close to 2/3 of the available numbers.
Buffering...
  • Jump to: